RemedySpot.com

Re: Vitamin A & D Testing (?????)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Lori;

Fat-soluble vitamin deficiencies (especially vitamins A, D, E and K)

are common in PSC:

nsen RA, Lindor KD, Sartin JS, LaRusso NF, Wiesner RH 1995 Serum

lipid and fat-soluble vitamin levels in primary sclerosing

cholangitis. J. Clin. Gastroenterol. 20: 215-219.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7797830

Dr. Gores uses the CA19-9 (serum carbohydrate antigen 19-9) test as

one of a battery of tests to try to detect cholangiocarcinoma early,

but it's by no means 100% accurate .... " a value greater than 100

U/mL has a sensitivity and specificity for cholangiocarcinoma of

approximately 75% and 80%, respectively. "

Gores GJ 2000 Early detection and treatment of cholangiocarcinoma.

Liver Transpl. 6: S30-S34.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11084082

Best regards,

Dave

(father of (22); PSC 07/03; UC 08/03)

>

> I am sorry but I missed the top 10 things learned at the

conference.  Was one of them that people with PSC are low in Vitamin

A & D? What is CA 19th. 

Guest guest

Yes Lori, This is what I posted. CA 19 is a blood test that might indicate cancer.1] I learned that I need to have my son tested for VIT. A and VIT. D deficiency. Thank you Dave. Also thank youto Dr. Rosser who when we brought this up in the Parents break out session, said that at Mayo they now test all newly diagnosed PSC patients for A & D. If they are normal they re-test every two years. If not, then they treat and follow yearly.4} I was able to speak with Dr. Gores about the CA 19 since Bills had been 143 and the 153 for his last two blood test. Dr. Gores had said thatanything above 100 was cause for concern and so I approached him after his talk. He said that he would be much more concerned if he were newly diagnosed but after the first 3 or 4 years post diagnosis if this level doesn't vary much then just having an MRI once a year is enough to watch the trend alongwith the blood work. He said that CA 19 can vary as much as 20 or 30 points per day so Bill's is essentially the same at 143 and 153.

Guest guest

Yes Lori, This is what I posted. CA 19 is a blood test that might indicate cancer.1] I learned that I need to have my son tested for VIT. A and VIT. D deficiency. Thank you Dave. Also thank youto Dr. Rosser who when we brought this up in the Parents break out session, said that at Mayo they now test all newly diagnosed PSC patients for A & D. If they are normal they re-test every two years. If not, then they treat and follow yearly.4} I was able to speak with Dr. Gores about the CA 19 since Bills had been 143 and the 153 for his last two blood test. Dr. Gores had said thatanything above 100 was cause for concern and so I approached him after his talk. He said that he would be much more concerned if he were newly diagnosed but after the first 3 or 4 years post diagnosis if this level doesn't vary much then just having an MRI once a year is enough to watch the trend alongwith the blood work. He said that CA 19 can vary as much as 20 or 30 points per day so Bill's is essentially the same at 143 and 153.

Guest guest