RemedySpot.com

Accomodation question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hey all I know I'm still new but have been advised to put in an application for public housing asap.

Apparently I can apply for special circumstances for priority housing as my dads still smoking and even if he's been out all day I can still smell it. 37yrs of two chain smokers living in the house the house itself smokes LOL

We had great fun yesterday my teenage son put the oven on to heat up some lunch... He didn't check the oven first, someone had put a plastic cutting board in there. I had a shower and came out to find the other half yelling for help. I managed to get the twins out of the house, the baking dish that had the melted board on it out of the oven and the rest of us out. Thankfully we didn't need the fire brigade but we left the house to air out for many many hours.

Back to the housing issue, 90% of my acute attacks (can't breathe, crackle, coughing up pinkish goo) occur at night when I go to lay down. I was told I should put on my application that even at this early stage a night time carer is needed incase I continue to experience these episodes. I dont know if these attacks will subside once under treatment or if they will increase. It will mean I apply for a four bedroom house instead of a 3. I want as much independance as possible but I cant leave my kids to deal with me on my own. I was told to get my local doctor to emphasise immediate houseing is required with minimal stairs, screens (to cut down on dust) and something about additional power points for later on should I need O2.

Housing in my area has a minimum 6yr wait, I've been waitng for 4 years now. I was thnking of asking for a suburb closer to the beach if i can't get out an enjoy things as much as time goes by at least I want a relaxing place. LOL. I guess I'm just sounding out my options, I don't want to move from this area as it will disrupt the twins schooling. In the past 3years they have seen their grandmother pass, their great aunt pass, their father disapear out of their lives, their puppy die, their cat die. I think thats enough for now......

I guess what I'm wondering is what sort of additons to homes do we generally need or not need but come in handy.

Thanks

Sharon the babbler. LOL.. we just got a new puppy tonight a gorgeous black cocker spaniel girl we've had her two hours and I'm totally and utterly in love (dont tell Adam hahahaha)

Win a MacBook Air or iPod touch with Yahoo!7- Find out more.

sharon

the most important is no stairs or at least a downstairs

bathroom and bedroom. even when you can manage your stairs

they steal your energy.

i and others use a supplement called NAC N-Acetyl Cysteine.

it thins mucous and sweeps it to tummy to save you having to

cough it up. its is hard on the tummy though and some people

can't tolerate it. i find it okay as long as i eat with it.

a piece of toast is not enough, something more.

again, there is loads of info on the archives as it has been

discussed here loads. i actually found out about it and started

taking it before i had my first consultant appointment.

some people have dry coughs and some have wet coughs. the nac

is for the wet cough. you can also have both. i do. people

from the us buy it online at swansons or puritan. i get mine

from holland and barrat. i dont know where you would get it

in australia. the medics can prescribe it but usually in

powder or nebuliser form and it takes awful.

may

>

>  Hey all I know I'm still new but have been advised to put in an

application for public housing asap.

>  Apparently I can apply for special circumstances for priority

housing as my dads still smoking and even if he's been out all day I

can still smell it. 37yrs of two chain smokers living in the house

the house itself smokes LOL

> We had great fun yesterday my teenage son put the oven on to heat

up some lunch... He didn't check the oven first, someone had put a

plastic cutting board in there. I had a shower and came  out to find

the other half yelling for help. I managed to get the twins out of

the house, the baking dish that had the melted board on it out of the

oven and the rest of us out.  Thankfully we didn't need the fire

brigade but we left the house to air out for many many hours. 

> Back to the housing issue, 90% of my acute attacks (can't breathe,

crackle, coughing up pinkish goo) occur at night when I go to lay

down.  I was told I should put on my application that even at this

early stage a night time carer is needed incase I continue to

experience these episodes. I dont know if these attacks will subside

once under treatment or if they will increase.  It will mean I apply

for a four bedroom house instead of a 3.  I want as much

independance as possible but I cant leave my kids to deal with me on

my own. I was told to get my local doctor to emphasise immediate

houseing is required with minimal stairs, screens (to cut down on

dust) and something about additional power points for later on should

I need O2. 

> Housing in my area has a minimum 6yr wait, I've been waitng for 4

years now. I was thnking of asking for a suburb closer to the beach

if i can't get out an enjoy things as much as time goes by at least I

want a relaxing place. LOL.  I guess I'm just sounding out my

options, I don't want to move from this area as it will disrupt the

twins schooling. In the past 3years they have seen their grandmother

pass, their great aunt pass, their father disapear out of their

lives, their puppy die, their cat die. I think thats enough for

now......

> I guess what I'm wondering is what sort of additons to homes do we

generally need or not need but come in handy.

> Thanks

> Sharon the babbler. LOL.. we just got a new puppy tonight a

gorgeous black cocker spaniel girl we've had her two hours and I'm

totally and utterly in love (dont tell Adam hahahaha)

>

>

> Win a MacBook Air or iPod touch with Yahoo!7.

http://au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset

>

Sharon

First I'll say....please remember that this is my experience. As you will find out, if you haven't already, that we all have varying experience with the steroid prednisone. For almost 2 years I was on 30-40mg a day, for the symptoms that you describe, can't lay down, crackles, bubbling, coughing, feeling like my lungs were filling up. In those days my lungs were inflamed and I believe the prednisone saved my life........I've been trying to get off the stuff every since. For about 6 months I've been under 10mg, recently at 5mg a day. Then 3 weeks ago I caught the respiratory bug that was going around. Every one else was 2-3 days with it. I'm still fighting it. I don't know if my lungs have been inflamed but my symptoms returned and after 4 nights with no sleep I boosted the prednisone up to 30mg.........almost instant relief. That was 4 days ago, now I'm going to start back down on the dosage. I've accepted that I may be taking

this stuff for the rest of my life. I figure the key word here is "life". The "pinkish goo" you describe .........well, I'd describe it to the doc and he'd kind of blow it off (figuratively speaking) so I took a sample in to show him. He'd been calling it a "productive cough".........I labeled the jar "produce". He put me on 2 weeks worth of antibiotics immediately and the produce went back to being clear. I must have missed it....did you say you had a pulmo appointment?

Regarding the smoking......I'm so thankful that my wife quit when I did 4 years ago. We've always smoked outside, even in winter, and unlike many who quit smoking I still love the smell.....I'll get a whiff somewhere and be jones'n big time for a moment. I've been known to go out on the porch. with some hokey excuse, with company when they visit just to cop a whiff.........ain't addiction great. I don't regret quiting and I'd never start again but it will be with me for the duration.

jim IPF 05

alaska

Subject: Accomodation questionTo: Breathe-Support Date: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 3:45 AM

Hey all I know I'm still new but have been advised to put in an application for public housing asap.

Apparently I can apply for special circumstances for priority housing as my dads still smoking and even if he's been out all day I can still smell it. 37yrs of two chain smokers living in the house the house itself smokes LOL

We had great fun yesterday my teenage son put the oven on to heat up some lunch... He didn't check the oven first, someone had put a plastic cutting board in there. I had a shower and came out to find the other half yelling for help. I managed to get the twins out of the house, the baking dish that had the melted board on it out of the oven and the rest of us out. Thankfully we didn't need the fire brigade but we left the house to air out for many many hours.

Back to the housing issue, 90% of my acute attacks (can't breathe, crackle, coughing up pinkish goo) occur at night when I go to lay down. I was told I should put on my application that even at this early stage a night time carer is needed incase I continue to experience these episodes. I dont know if these attacks will subside once under treatment or if they will increase. It will mean I apply for a four bedroom house instead of a 3. I want as much independance as possible but I cant leave my kids to deal with me on my own. I was told to get my local doctor to emphasise immediate houseing is required with minimal stairs, screens (to cut down on dust) and something about additional power points for later on should I need O2.

Housing in my area has a minimum 6yr wait, I've been waitng for 4 years now. I was thnking of asking for a suburb closer to the beach if i can't get out an enjoy things as much as time goes by at least I want a relaxing place. LOL. I guess I'm just sounding out my options, I don't want to move from this area as it will disrupt the twins schooling. In the past 3years they have seen their grandmother pass, their great aunt pass, their father disapear out of their lives, their puppy die, their cat die. I think thats enough for now......

I guess what I'm wondering is what sort of additons to homes do we generally need or not need but come in handy.

Thanks

Sharon the babbler. LOL.. we just got a new puppy tonight a gorgeous black cocker spaniel girl we've had her two hours and I'm totally and utterly in love (dont tell Adam hahahaha)

Sharon

First I'll say....please remember that this is my experience. As you will find out, if you haven't already, that we all have varying experience with the steroid prednisone. For almost 2 years I was on 30-40mg a day, for the symptoms that you describe, can't lay down, crackles, bubbling, coughing, feeling like my lungs were filling up. In those days my lungs were inflamed and I believe the prednisone saved my life........I've been trying to get off the stuff every since. For about 6 months I've been under 10mg, recently at 5mg a day. Then 3 weeks ago I caught the respiratory bug that was going around. Every one else was 2-3 days with it. I'm still fighting it. I don't know if my lungs have been inflamed but my symptoms returned and after 4 nights with no sleep I boosted the prednisone up to 30mg.........almost instant relief. That was 4 days ago, now I'm going to start back down on the dosage. I've accepted that I may be taking

this stuff for the rest of my life. I figure the key word here is "life". The "pinkish goo" you describe .........well, I'd describe it to the doc and he'd kind of blow it off (figuratively speaking) so I took a sample in to show him. He'd been calling it a "productive cough".........I labeled the jar "produce". He put me on 2 weeks worth of antibiotics immediately and the produce went back to being clear. I must have missed it....did you say you had a pulmo appointment?

Regarding the smoking......I'm so thankful that my wife quit when I did 4 years ago. We've always smoked outside, even in winter, and unlike many who quit smoking I still love the smell.....I'll get a whiff somewhere and be jones'n big time for a moment. I've been known to go out on the porch. with some hokey excuse, with company when they visit just to cop a whiff.........ain't addiction great. I don't regret quiting and I'd never start again but it will be with me for the duration.

jim IPF 05

alaska

Subject: Accomodation questionTo: Breathe-Support Date: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 3:45 AM

Thanks

Sharon

jim IPF 05

alaska

Thanks