RemedySpot.com

RE: TGIF - more fun with aluminium cans

Rate this topic

Guest guest

32 cans/pound Aluminum, at $0.80/lb, would be around 267 lbs to equal $214. So, we need 32*267 or 8500 cans of beer. That comes to $0.12/can, or $1.40/12 pack (REALLY cheap).

That can't be right. Let's try Iowa beer (trust me).

You get $0.05/can in Iowa (yes, many other states too), so $214 of cans is 4280 cans of beer - $0.23/can or $2.80/12 pack. Still REALLY cheap (as Ian says, $1/can is more like it).

Sorry, we're engineers and can't help it. :)

Arne

Does your recycling pay/cost you that much? That would mean if a can of beer cost $0.79 they would charge you an additional $0.21 recycling fee which is returned to you when you take the can back. Up here they charge you about a dollar for a can of beer and I think the recycling fee is only $0.05 per can.

You can get twelve cents a can selling the metal as scrap metal? but how many cans do you need to show up with before they won't tell you to take a hike? What do the stores do with the 5 cents/can they collect from the purchaser?

Ian

32 cans/pound Aluminum, at $0.80/lb, would be around 267 lbs to equal $214. So, we need 32*267 or 8500 cans of beer. That comes to $0.12/can, or $1.40/12 pack (REALLY cheap).

You get $0.05/can in Iowa (yes, many other states too), so $214 of cans is 4280 cans of beer - $0.23/can or $2.80/12 pack. Still REALLY cheap (as Ian says, $1/can is more like it).

Arne

Does your recycling pay/cost you that much? That would mean if a can of beer cost $0.79 they would charge you an additional $0.21 recycling fee which is returned to you when you take the can back. Up here they charge you about a dollar for a can of beer and I think the recycling fee is only $0.05 per can.

-- Ian Cribb P.Eng.

You can get twelve cents a can selling the metal as scrap metal? but how many cans do you need to show up with before they won't tell you to take a hike? What do the stores do with the 5 cents/can they collect from the purchaser?

Ian

Arne

-- Ian Cribb P.Eng.

To meet the numbers quoted, a (full) can of beer would have to cost $0.12/can to make it work.

The scrap metal dealers will take whatever you bring in. I once brought in a pickup load of used aluminum siding - $250 worth! That's how they make a living.

In Iowa, the stores do not collect the refund. You have to go to a collection center. Not sure how it works in other states.

Arne

Ian

In B.C. here when you buy a case of full pops they charge you the price of the pop then tack on a recycling fee which gets refunded to you when you return the can. If you do noy return the cans to that store what does that store do with the extra money? Is it forwarded to some bottle depot which then has esseintally gotten a $0.12 can for free? $250 dollars at $0.12 a can is over 2000 cans. If I showed up at the scrap dealers with a single case of empties, I'm sure they would laugh at me. I thought you were in Minnesota, how does it work there?

Ian

To meet the numbers quoted, a (full) can of beer would have to cost $0.12/can to make it work.

The scrap metal dealers will take whatever you bring in. I once brought in a pickup load of used aluminum siding - $250 worth! That's how they make a living.

In Iowa, the stores do not collect the refund. You have to go to a collection center. Not sure how it works in other states.

Arne

Ian

-- Ian Cribb P.Eng.