RemedySpot.com

change in donor law in Missouri!!!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear group,

I am a Lions member and the editor of my district newsletter, as a result I get sent a copy of all other newsletters in my region and I discovered an interesting article that I want to share with all of you. Although this doesn't solve the all donor problems it's a step in the right direction and as I always say, "progress is all we look for".

Here's one for our team!

In this article I want to call your attention to an important new legislative bill, the Uniform Anatomical Gifts Act (SB 1139). This bill was passed by the MO Legislature on May 8th and signed into law by Governor Blunt on July 10th. It will take effect on August 28, 2008. This new law (UAGA) is very important because it provides for a first-person consent registry for persons wishing to become eye, organ and tissue donors.

As of March 31, almost 1,300 Missourians were waiting for a life-saving organ or tissue transplant, according to data provided by the United Network of Organ Sharing. Under the UAGA, the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services shall establish a first person consent organ and tissue donor registry. Any individual who agrees to have his or her name in the registry has given full legal consent to the donation of any of his or her organs or tissues upon death and as recorded in the registry.‖

In addition to the establishment of a first person donation registry, the

UAGA also outlines who is authorized to consent if the deceased person did not make a decision about donation during their lifetime. The passage of this bill has added grandparents and adult grandchildren to the list of persons who are authorized to provide consent for donation.

The aim of the UAGA is not to make it much easier to become a donor, but to help ensure that all people who do want to donate their eyes, organs and tissues are legally allowed to do so, said Ron Walkenbach, executive director of the Missouri Lions Eye Research Foundation and Heartland Lions Eye Banks.

Persons can sign up for the new on-line registry at www.missouriorgandonor.com. Also, the Missouri Lions Eye Research Foundation has made new Donor Cards to be handed out.

(MO)

tx'd 1/7/08

Find phone numbers fast with the New AOL Yellow Pages!