RemedySpot.com

Standford study

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This is from Traci in response to my question of the medicine being used only in children and why not adults. I receive post from both yahoo support groups so I'm sorry for any confusion.

Hi ,

Really the only reason that this trial is for children is that the doctors who started it are pediatric docs and they are not licensed to work with adults. I do wish someone would pick up this trial for adults! As I recall, Dr. Davies has said that the Vanco will work for adults too and that some of the children who started out in the trial have now become adults and are still on the Vancomycin. I don't know if the dosing is different for adults though. Dr. Davies said the other difficulty with adults is that usually their disease is fairly progressed by the time it is discovered and a liver with sclerosis does not respond to Vanco. As I understand it from Dr. Davies (I'll check with her again to be sure as I don't want to raise false hopes) if the PSC is caught early enough in an adult, it should work just as successfully for them as it does in children.

I'll check with Dr.Davies again as it has been a while since any one has asked about the effectiveness of Vanco in adults--I'll pass on what she shares.

Traci

Get the MapQuest Toolbar. Directions, Traffic, Gas Prices More!

I went back and search for " Vancomycin " . The following two posts were dated July 30th;

I am wondering if anyone knows if Oral Vancomycin might work in Adults

with PSC. The only info I can find talks about children.Mother of Barb 26 years oldDx 1985 with UC and PSCPelvic Pouch 1994TX March 97 2nd TX Dec 97PSC returned 2007

In the late nineties, I took oral vancomycin. At the time, Doctor

was looking into it at Stanford for pediatric cases.Since I was around, with PSC, and available, they had me try it eventhough I was an adult.It didn't have any effect on PSC or my colitis. I quit after a year

because all I was doing was adding anti-biotics to the SF Bay

This is from Traci in response to my question of the medicine being used only in children and why not adults. I receive post from both yahoo support groups so I'm sorry for any confusion.

Hi ,

Really the only reason that this trial is for children is that the doctors who started it are pediatric docs and they are not licensed to work with adults. I do wish someone would pick up this trial for adults! As I recall, Dr. Davies has said that the Vanco will work for adults too and that some of the children who started out in the trial have now become adults and are still on the Vancomycin. I don't know if the dosing is different for adults though. Dr. Davies said the other difficulty with adults is that usually their disease is fairly progressed by the time it is discovered and a liver with sclerosis does not respond to Vanco. As I understand it from Dr. Davies (I'll check with her again to be sure as I don't want to raise false hopes) if the PSC is caught early enough in an adult, it should work just as successfully for them as it does in children.

I'll check with Dr.Davies again as it has been a while since any one has asked about the effectiveness of Vanco in adults--I'll pass on what she shares.

Traci

Get the MapQuest Toolbar. Directions, Traffic, Gas Prices More!

-- Ian Cribb P.Eng.

vancomyocine, spelled wrong I am sure, is probably not being used to

treat things very often in adults, it is approved for adults, because

from what I understand it is one of the only drugs that can treat

MRSA. Another reason, I am guessing here, but I was told this when my

daughter was young because she was born with an immune disorder and

got sick a lot, is that when you take antibiodics for prolonged

periods or for things other then the correct type of infection your

body will become immune to it or the bacteria will mutate, and it will

cease to work. I know that the Dr.'s are cautious with me because one

of the few antibiodics that I can take is Cipro and they don't want it

to loose it's effectiveness for me, I am allergic to many

antibiodics; therefore they will usually do a culture before

prescribing me anything so that they can make sure it's the right

medication for whatever infection that I may have.

>

> I'm sure someone has asked the question before and I missed the

answer, but why is this antibiotic effective only on children? Have

they ruled out it helping adults?

> Thanks,

> Terry

>