RemedySpot.com

Service dog

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Listmates,I spent 5 years in the USA with my two autistic children getting them necessary therapies and medical help that they needed.  We returned to our home in Antigua, West Indies a year ago.  My youngest son with autism still elopes at 12 years old and whilst he has a wristband gps, it is not easy to use the manual tracker that we have.  There is no service here otherwise.

I am thinking that a service dog would be good for him, not just to stay with him but to be a " friend " to him.  He responds so well to dogs (the gentle type) and I really think it could help him in more ways than one, including his meltdowns when he is unable to communicate effectively.  He is calm around dogs, intrigued by them and shows a very gentle side when with them.

I am wondering if there is an organization in the States that would consider helping us obtain a service dog (a lab or retriever would be good).  The dog would have a lovely family home and be much loved by all of us.  Obviously, there would be costs and red tape involved in getting a dog to the islands, and the dog would need to be trained at our home, with our son.

Can anybody suggest a starting point for me?  I have no idea where to begin!Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.Best,Caroline