RemedySpot.com

Re: to Martha (MA) -Split liver/

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Martha,

I'm sorry for my very delayed response! I was going through old mail, this morning, and realized I'd never answered your question. I'd like to blame it on H.E. but I think my excuse now is just going to have to be old age, although I must admit I'm OK with getting old. (cheesy grin)

A split liver tx is one in which they take a cadaveric donor liver and split it between two people. The only instances I'm aware of is the split between a child (under the age of 12, typically) and a small adult. Because the liver is split both patients are tx using the Roux-en-Y, which means our anatomy now resembles that of a recipient that had a live donor transplant.

I was fortunate enough to qualify for the split liver, as the surgeons said I was the only adult small enough (apparently they were not looking at my hind side when they said that!). The other advantage that I have is that I was given a large portion of the liver (larger than some split liver tx patients) because it was shared with an infant, that only required about 10% of the organ.

The only complication that I had, as a result of the split liver tx, is a blood clot in the liver near the point were it was separated. That was rather painful, but not until the fluid that gathered got infected. I've had two CT scans done and the latter revealed that the pocket of fluid was shrinking and it did not appear that there would be any additional liver damage. The fact that it was near the split site, meant only minimal liver damage in the first place.

I had asked Dr. Gores to explain a split liver at the conference, because many are unaware that this is an option and therefore do not know the specifics. However, he never got an opportunity to address this after my request.

I hope that answers your question, but if you'd like to discuss it further email me privately, as well as on the group, because I get posts in digest form and it will take me longer to receive it.

Take care and again, I apologize for the delay!

Hugs,

(MO)

PSC & UC '84, chronic pancreatitis '97, various other ailments, BUT tx 1/7/08 and enjoying life more than I ever thought was possible!

Plan your next roadtrip with MapQuest.com: America's #1 Mapping Site.

Guest guest

Martha,

I'm sorry for my very delayed response! I was going through old mail, this morning, and realized I'd never answered your question. I'd like to blame it on H.E. but I think my excuse now is just going to have to be old age, although I must admit I'm OK with getting old. (cheesy grin)

A split liver tx is one in which they take a cadaveric donor liver and split it between two people. The only instances I'm aware of is the split between a child (under the age of 12, typically) and a small adult. Because the liver is split both patients are tx using the Roux-en-Y, which means our anatomy now resembles that of a recipient that had a live donor transplant.

I was fortunate enough to qualify for the split liver, as the surgeons said I was the only adult small enough (apparently they were not looking at my hind side when they said that!). The other advantage that I have is that I was given a large portion of the liver (larger than some split liver tx patients) because it was shared with an infant, that only required about 10% of the organ.

The only complication that I had, as a result of the split liver tx, is a blood clot in the liver near the point were it was separated. That was rather painful, but not until the fluid that gathered got infected. I've had two CT scans done and the latter revealed that the pocket of fluid was shrinking and it did not appear that there would be any additional liver damage. The fact that it was near the split site, meant only minimal liver damage in the first place.

I had asked Dr. Gores to explain a split liver at the conference, because many are unaware that this is an option and therefore do not know the specifics. However, he never got an opportunity to address this after my request.

I hope that answers your question, but if you'd like to discuss it further email me privately, as well as on the group, because I get posts in digest form and it will take me longer to receive it.

Take care and again, I apologize for the delay!

Hugs,

(MO)

PSC & UC '84, chronic pancreatitis '97, various other ailments, BUT tx 1/7/08 and enjoying life more than I ever thought was possible!

Plan your next roadtrip with MapQuest.com: America's #1 Mapping Site.

Guest guest

How small are you? I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I am under 5' 2 " and

I weigh

about 115 - 120 pounds. I try to keep myself around 125, which is a tad heavy

for me, but

the extra weight seems to keep me healthier.

Thanks,

Colleen

Guest guest

How small are you? I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I am under 5' 2 " and

I weigh

about 115 - 120 pounds. I try to keep myself around 125, which is a tad heavy

for me, but

the extra weight seems to keep me healthier.

Thanks,

Colleen

Guest guest

-

At my tx center, you have to be under 160lbs. to qualify for a split

liver. I wonder why you can be " heavier " than that when you have a

living donor tx since that would, technically, be a split liver......

Penny

-- In , " Colleen Garvey Kueter "

wrote:

>

>

>

> How small are you? I don't mean to put you on the spot, but I am

under 5' 2 " and I weigh

> about 115 - 120 pounds. I try to keep myself around 125, which is a

tad heavy for me, but

> the extra weight seems to keep me healthier.

>

> Thanks,

>

> Colleen

>