RemedySpot.com

Re: Ideas/thanks

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I can't speak for other countries, but in Britain, the social services can

'lend' equipment for short/long term needs, for example: while the builders were

modifying my toilet, they lent me a commode, and even emptied it! They do need

some notice.

The equipment comes from the hospital out-patient service, well that and

wheelchairs do. Your social services equivalent may know of a lender or hirer.

worth a phone call?

-- from Brine

- brian@...>  Written at 14:32:03 on 18-04-2002

I noted that on  Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:52:08 -0600,

PennerInk@...> wrote:

>

> Thanks, all, for the ideas so far.  I will check into a few

things--unfortunately, most decisions at this point have more to do with

finances than anything else. (The spirit is willing but the pocketbook is

weak!).  I'll have to measure my bathroom doorways--nonstandard and very

narrow-looking--then go narrow-wheelchair-hunting.  Will also look into the Best

Western across the way from where I live. 

>~

Guest guest

Pam,

The Life Safety Code, put out by the National Fir eProtection Association states that the minimum door with for those with wheelchairs shall not be less than 32 inches. Now, the thing to remember here is that the code addresses NEW CONSTRUCTION for this requirement. If you would like to know more about this, let me fax you a copy of the code 7.2.1.2.3 "Minimum Width" from the LFC.

Feels good to get back into the old job.

Dr. Ray

-- Re: Ideas/thanks

Hi ,I read this about door width:http://www.rebuildingtogether.org/home_modifications/house_Assessment_checklist.shtml#sol_bathroomInstall 'swing-away' hinge to widen clear door space (min 32in.)--Maybe that's all you need to do for the extra width. Or maybe you canremove the door totally and put up a curtain for privacy.Here's a link to those narrow airline wheelchairshttp://www.columbiamedical.com/aislmstr/jetmate.htmhttp://www.columbiamedical.com/aislmstr/inflight.htmYou might be able to rent something narrow enough from a medical supplystore.Hugs,Pam Ideas/thanksThanks, all, for the ideas so far. I will check into a fewthings--unfortunately, most decisions at this point have more to do withfinances than anything else. (The spirit is willing but the pocketbook isweak!). I'll have to measure my bathroom doorways--nonstandard and verynarrow-looking--then go narrow-wheelchair-hunting. Will also look into theBest Western across the way from where I live.~If you do not wish to belong to shydrager, you may unsubscribe by sending a blank email to shydrager-unsubscribe