RemedySpot.com

Re: Norwegian names

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

My grandfather came from Norway on a fishing ship and landed in Nova Scotia. There, I'm told he wwent ashore and never turned back (didn't go back to the ship). He was born in 1888 (?) and came from a place called Gambog, Norway, which is not on the map.

He was married to Anne and his mother's name was Iverine Iverson.

We have his Emigration date of around 1907.

My problem is I can't find his birthplaace, nor his parents names, etc. Any suggestions?

Dr. Ray

-- Norwegian names

Dr. Ray,What a coincidence! I am a Pile it High and Deep too.And my maiden name is sen, and my mother's maiden name is Siljestrom. So I am both Norwegian and Swedish, and I think all of the Europeans followed the same pattern of changing their names when they came to the US.I was going to make this just a private email, but since Bill is also interested I'll put it on the forum for now. Who knows, maybe there are more Scandahoovians on the list.My Swedish Siljestrom side has been pretty well documented in the US since my ggrampa was a minister and married into a family in Boone, Iowa, and a genealogy person in that family found my cousins and me. But we all get lost in Sweden, because, according to family lore, his name was there, and he changed the surname on becoming a minister. According to what I read on the NorwayHeritage site, his name probably was a patronymic such as Jonsson, and then he took a surname based on the place he came from, maybe a farm or area, Siljestrom, perhaps based on the river SiljaOK that's the Swede. Now I go to the Norwegian side, which is sen in the USA. But family scuttlebut says that ggrampa was a sea captain, named Meyer and he changed to sen in the US. So I'm looking for sen all over Chicago and can't find a likely one, all though there are plenty. Then on the same NorwayHeritage website there is a list of ship journeys throughout the years, and I found listed a captain Mhyre in 1873. HaHa says I. That's how he spelled it! So the best I can do is write to Norway and see what they have about the captain. And here I thought the family scuttlebutt was wrong, as usual, and that he had been a sea swabby and jumped ship in Canada. So I think his name was Jon, or Peder,( as my father claimed) his patronymic was Jonssen, his place name was Mhyre, and, unlike the Swede, he went for the patronymic, probably to avoid prosecution.Do you see why it gives me a headache?So I sympathize with anyone else who is trying to decipher the old ones, but it can be engrossing enough to get your mind off of MSA and Chuck's cardiac ultrasound he will have today and how awful he looks and feels and sounds.Bless us all. Someone, please.BarbaraIf you do not wish to belong to shydrager, you may unsubscribe by sending a blank email to shydrager-unsubscribe

Guest guest

If he came to Nova Scotia first he might have been

processed through Pier 21 immigration here in Halifax.

If you have the name of his ship there might be

records of it visiting Nova Scotia as well.

Two places you can check out:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/

http://pier21.ns.ca/resource_centre/resource.html

Good luck!

Pam

Halifax, Nova Scotia

--- Ray fourdiamonds@...> wrote:

> My grandfather came from Norway on a fishing ship

> and landed in Nova Scotia.

> There, I'm told he wwent ashore and never turned

> back (didn't go back to

> the ship). He was born in 1888 (?) and came from a

> place called Gambog,

> Norway, which is not on the map.

>

> He was married to Anne and his

> mother's name was Iverine

> Iverson.

>

> We have his Emigration date of around 1907.

>

> My problem is I can't find his birthplaace, nor his

> parents names, etc. Any

> suggestions?

>

> Dr. Ray

>

Music, Movies, Sports, Games! http://entertainment.yahoo.ca

Guest guest

If he came to Nova Scotia first he might have been

processed through Pier 21 immigration here in Halifax.

If you have the name of his ship there might be

records of it visiting Nova Scotia as well.

Two places you can check out:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/

http://pier21.ns.ca/resource_centre/resource.html

Good luck!

Pam

Halifax, Nova Scotia

--- Ray fourdiamonds@...> wrote:

> My grandfather came from Norway on a fishing ship

> and landed in Nova Scotia.

> There, I'm told he wwent ashore and never turned

> back (didn't go back to

> the ship). He was born in 1888 (?) and came from a

> place called Gambog,

> Norway, which is not on the map.

>

> He was married to Anne and his

> mother's name was Iverine

> Iverson.

>

> We have his Emigration date of around 1907.

>

> My problem is I can't find his birthplaace, nor his

> parents names, etc. Any

> suggestions?

>

> Dr. Ray

>

Music, Movies, Sports, Games! http://entertainment.yahoo.ca

Guest guest

Sorry, don't have the name of the ship. In fact, It is my belief that he was aboard a fishing vessel. I don't have the name of that either.

Thanks for the help

Dr. Ray

-- Re: Norwegian names

If he came to Nova Scotia first he might have beenprocessed through Pier 21 immigration here in Halifax.If you have the name of his ship there might berecords of it visiting Nova Scotia as well. Two places you can check out:http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/http://pier21.ns.ca/resource_centre/resource.htmlGood luck!PamHalifax, Nova Scotia--- Ray wrote:> My grandfather came from Norway on a fishing ship> and landed in Nova Scotia.> There, I'm told he wwent ashore and never turned> back (didn't go back to> the ship). He was born in 1888 (?) and came from a> place called Gambog,> Norway, which is not on the map.> > He was married to Anne and his> mother's name was Iverine> Iverson.> > We have his Emigration date of around 1907.> > My problem is I can't find his birthplaace, nor his> parents names, etc. Any> suggestions?> > Dr. Ray> ______________________________________________________________________ Music, Movies, Sports, Games! http://entertainment.yahoo.caIf you do not wish to belong to shydrager, you may unsubscribe by sending a blank email to shydrager-unsubscribe

Guest guest

Sorry, don't have the name of the ship. In fact, It is my belief that he was aboard a fishing vessel. I don't have the name of that either.

Thanks for the help

Dr. Ray

If he came to Nova Scotia first he might have beenprocessed through Pier 21 immigration here in Halifax.If you have the name of his ship there might berecords of it visiting Nova Scotia as well. Two places you can check out:http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/http://pier21.ns.ca/resource_centre/resource.htmlGood luck!PamHalifax, Nova Scotia--- Ray wrote:> My grandfather came from Norway on a fishing ship> and landed in Nova Scotia.> There, I'm told he wwent ashore and never turned> back (didn't go back to> the ship). He was born in 1888 (?) and came from a> place called Gambog,> Norway, which is not on the map.> > He was married to Anne and his> mother's name was Iverine> Iverson.> > We have his Emigration date of around 1907.> > My problem is I can't find his birthplaace, nor his> parents names, etc. Any> suggestions?> > Dr. Ray> ______________________________________________________________________ Music, Movies, Sports, Games! http://entertainment.yahoo.caIf you do not wish to belong to shydrager, you may unsubscribe by sending a blank email to shydrager-unsubscribe

Guest guest

Barbara,

I am not Norwegian but I will be praying for you and Chuck. I pray

the ultrasound will show what is making him look so ill so they can

help him. I think doing your heritage family tree is wonderful. It

takes a lot of work and time. It also like you said keeps your mind

of MSA for a while. We all need that from time to time.

God Bless,

Belinda

> Dr. Ray,

>

> What a coincidence! I am a Pile it High and Deep too.

>

> And my maiden name is sen, and my mother's maiden name is

Siljestrom.

> So I am both Norwegian and Swedish, and I think all of the

Europeans

> followed the same pattern of changing their names when they came to

the

> US.

>

> I was going to make this just a private email, but since Bill is

also

> interested I'll put it on the forum for now. Who knows, maybe there

are

> more Scandahoovians on the list.

>

> My Swedish Siljestrom side has been pretty well documented in the

US

> since my ggrampa was a minister and married into a family in Boone,

Iowa,

> and a genealogy person in that family found my cousins and me. But

we all

> get lost in Sweden, because, according to family lore, his name was

> there, and he changed the surname on becoming a minister.

> According to what I read on the NorwayHeritage site, his name

probably

> was a patronymic such as Jonsson, and then he took a surname based

on the

> place he came from, maybe a farm or area, Siljestrom, perhaps based

on

> the river Silja

>

> OK that's the Swede. Now I go to the Norwegian side, which is

sen in

> the USA. But family scuttlebut says that ggrampa was a sea captain,

named

> Meyer and he changed to sen in the US. So I'm looking for

> sen all over Chicago and can't find a likely one, all though

there

> are plenty. Then on the same NorwayHeritage website there is a list

of

> ship journeys throughout the years, and I found listed a captain

Mhyre in

> 1873. HaHa says I. That's how he spelled it! So the best I can do

is

> write to Norway and see what they have about the captain. And here

I

> thought the family scuttlebutt was wrong, as usual, and that he had

been

> a sea swabby and jumped ship in Canada. So I think his name was

Jon, or

> Peder,( as my father claimed) his patronymic was Jonssen, his place

name

> was Mhyre, and, unlike the Swede, he went for the patronymic,

probably to

> avoid prosecution.

>

> Do you see why it gives me a headache?

>

> So I sympathize with anyone else who is trying to decipher the old

ones,

> but it can be engrossing enough to get your mind off of MSA and

Chuck's

> cardiac ultrasound he will have today and how awful he looks and

feels

> and sounds.

>

> Bless us all. Someone, please.

>

> Barbara

Guest guest

Hi Barbara,

> > interested I'll put it on the forum for now. Who knows, maybe there > are > > more Scandahoovians on the list.

My last name is "Deen" ; what actually means: someone from Denmark. Unfortunately for you I am dutch. Hope you don't mind.

Timo

Guest guest

Hi Barbara,

> > interested I'll put it on the forum for now. Who knows, maybe there > are > > more Scandahoovians on the list.

My last name is "Deen" ; what actually means: someone from Denmark. Unfortunately for you I am dutch. Hope you don't mind.

Timo

Guest guest

Timo,

Strange you you would state that but, he had a tattoo, and it statted Johannsen, But, you could be right. Could you give me the web address for the Norway Heritage Site?

Dr. Ray

> According to what I read on the NorwayHeritage site, his name probably > was a patronymic such as Jonsson, Or Johansson.TimoIf you do not wish to belong to shydrager, you may unsubscribe by sending a blank email to shydrager-unsubscribe

Guest guest

Ray,

please ask Woodford for the site, since I copied and pasted that part of her message.

Timo

Re: Norwegian names

> According to what I read on the NorwayHeritage site, his name probably > was a patronymic such as Jonsson, Or Johansson.TimoIf you do not wish to belong to shydrager, you may unsubscribe by sending a blank email to shydrager-unsubscribe