RemedySpot.com

onset and environmental factors?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

, and others: Just wanted to clarify that the fires I think you're referring to (toward the end of your post, below) were the forest fires near Los Alamos, NM, (the Cerro Grande Fire). Neither the Los Alamos National Lab nor a nuclear reactor was on fire. In NM, however, because of our history w/atomic and nuclear weaponry and uranium mining, many believe that we are more susceptible to illnesses with environmental causes. If environmental factors are involved with MSA, the disease would probably be related to the accumulation of toxins over many years and not due to a single incident like a forest fire. in Albuquerque, NM MSA-age when disgnosed-1st onset of symptoms My sister started having symptoms in 1999, at the age of 51. Whenshe was 52, she was diagnosed with Orthostatic Hypotension, and wastold to increase the amount of salt in her diet. At the age of 53,she had to stop working, because she was fainting so much, and shehad also developed cardiac arythmia. During the same year, she wasdiagnosed with MSA by Dr. Low, at the Mayo Clinic, after 3 days oftests.My sister is now 54, and Dr. Low has ordered her into her localhospice program. She has little will left to fight her symptoms,which include (among other things) pain, inability to walk more thana few feet at a time, frequent infections, difficulty speaking andswallowing, alternating diarrhea or constipation. I think that thepain is the hardest part for her right now, although I don't readmuch mention of pain as a symptom of the MSA patients here on thesupport site, so I am not sure why she is feeling it. The doctorsmention the possibility of "neuropathy," in regards to the pain.My sister lives in a remote area of New Mexico, and it is difficultor impossible for her to travel, due to her inability to remainupright for any substantial amount of time. She has an appointmentwith Dr. Low in June, but heaven knows if she will be able to travelat that time, because she is already so weak. We have learned thateven after being at her worst, she may be able to rebound somewhat,at least for awhile.At this time, we are praying for comfort and peace, for my sister,and if this means that she will not be with us much longer, then sobe it. We don't want her to continue to live with the pain as shefeels it now. She does not want to burden any of us, as she is lessand less able to care for herself.As far as the value of this support site, I have much appreciatedreading the posts of all of the wonderful people here at the supportgroup. My sister came on here once, and then never returned. Sheprobably found it depressing, as she is easily depressed at thethought of her condition, and it is difficult for her to sit at hercomputer now. I find this support to be good, however, and I havebeen happy to meet many wonderful people through this site. I feelmountains of love, and faith in the goodness of God's people, here,amongst all of you. You are people who know how to turn the burdenof catastrophic and disabling conditions, into a blessing.As J. Fox says of his own experience with PD, he finallyknows what a blessing his life is - how fortunate he has been, thatthrough his diagnosis, he has become more grounded and he appreciatesall that he has in his life, that many people never have in theirentire lifetimes. He has many good fortunes, including having hadthe time to sort through all of his feelings - and he has had his upsand downs through it all.For whatever reasons, some of us have conditions that we cannotcontrol, and some of us need more help just to be able to do normaldaily functions. The more independent our personalities are, themore difficult it can be for us to rely on others to care for us.It's not always easy for the needy one to accept dependence on others.The physically needy may not understand what gifts they are to themore able-bodied. Caregiving is God's work, and the caregiver has aplace with God's angels, for the remainder of eternity. Just beingable to lighten someone else's burden, is a gift. I can see thatmany of you, here in this group, realize how blessed you are, by yourexperiences, and by your ability to see good when others are still inthe dark.As for the cause of my sister's condition - everything startedhappening to her, after the fires at the Los Alamos nuclear reactorplant. When the fires were burning, she, and everyone else in herarea, breathed in the ash from the fires, as it was in the air,everywhere. There was no way to escape it. No one is saying forsure, but it is speculated that environmental factors may be acontributing factor in the development of MSA.Oh boy... I just wanted to answer a few simple questions, and here Iam, rambling on...... Sorry for the epistle. For me, writing isgood therapy. I hope that this helps in determining ages of onset ofsymptoms, and diagnosis of MSA patients. Peace to everyonehere....... - (pistachio53)If you do not wish to belong to shydrager, you mayunsubscribe by sending a blank email toshydrager-unsubscribe