RemedySpot.com

RE: Catheters

Rate this topic

Guest guest

:

You were asking about a catheter. I've been self cathing Fred now for just about a year. He had been on flomax before , but had a UTI last April and ended up in the ER. There they put in a foley bag. a tube is put in and then another bag is filled with water so it won't come out. It's simple to put in and if need be ,it simple to take out. You just cut the tube and the water will come out and the bag will become smaller and slid out. Never try to pull it when it is full with water. His foley bag was a large one, that we hooked to the bed or to a wheel chair. When we would go somewhere I would put it in a cloth bag and put it on the w/c. That way no one would see it and Fred would feel better about it. I understand that there are foley bags that will strap to the leg and slid inside of pants. Fred wanted the other , so we wouldn't have to drain it as often. With the foley bag will have to go to the doctor's once to fix a blockage that it had, so you have to watch for that. After having the foley bag for about a month, his Urologist took it out and started us on the self cathing and he take's Nitrofuran MCR 50 mg every morning to try and keep from getting another UTI. Even with this he still get's them. His had four this year and everything is completely cleaned. I guess what ever your Dad goes with , there is pro's and con's. You just have to fine something that works for him. Just watch for the sign"s of an UTI starting. I can pretty well tell now when his getting one and get him to the doctor before it get's to bad.

Always Vera

Date: Fri Feb 22, 2002 8:39 pm

Subject: Catheters

Hi All!

Can someone explain the different types of catheters

to me? Currently my father is "self-cathing" about 4

times a day. A nurse suggested that he go with some

other type of cath that has a bag attached to it. It

doesn't involve surgery to place it. The urologist

told him that this type of cath causes more bladder

infections than he gets self-cathing. That's difficult

to believe since he often has an infection using the

self-cath, but then I'm not a Dr. :-) Then isn't

there some other type of cath that involves surgery?

Also, has anyone ever tried maintenance (i.e.-

constant low dose) antibiotics to prevent frequent

UTIs? This was suggested to him, but concerns me since

infections are so common in people with MSA. I worry

about him building up a resistance.

Any advice is appreciated.

in OK