RemedySpot.com

Is autopsy of benefit to understanding Shy Drager?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

My 81 year old father-in-law has a working diagnosis of Shy drager syndrome. The things we thought were just part of the aging process certainly fit the symptoms I have seen described, except he does not snore! The "brain fogs" that occasionally occur, I thought might have been "mini-strokes". He finally had a complete "freezing" episode and was hospitalized. The initial thought was Parkinsons, but he had no response to the sinimet (sic), in fact, it seemed to increase jerking movements of his arm. The brain scan showed atrophy of the brain. At this point he is in a nursing home with his kidneys shutting down. He is quite rational, but is refusing food and refusing any medical treatment. His death is expected within a week to two days.

In reading all of your posts, I get the impression that shy drager usually appears in younger persons. My question is ....IF an autopsy would help at all in research, I would try to encourage my mother-in-law to request it. I do not think she would want to do this if it would be of no use to other persons suffering with this condition.

Thank you

K.