RemedySpot.com

BCIR- Marie

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Marie,

I think Arne has provided several links which give good info. I would suggest that you email Sue Kay and she will send you the video which is informative. I'm assuming it is the same video or at least similar to the one I viewed before my surgery.

BCIR's can experience pouchitis also. Right after surgery I had it frequently but in recent years it has been rare. I take flagyl when I do have problems. Since tx I haven't had a bout with it but have been on a low dose antibiotic since tx so that is probably why. At the one year mark the antibiotic is ended so I'll know more then.

I have had 2 hernias which have been repaired and have had continuing pain around the stoma since the tx. I've talked with several docs about the pain and we have decided it is either adhesions or a hernia causing the pain. My primary examined me and said she didn't feel a hernia.

One big downside to the BCIR is that there is only one center that does them. It is located in FL. When I had surgery there were 4 - FL, St. Louis, Dallas and LA. Maybe docs are preferring the J pouch. For those of us who lost their rectum along with large intestine to surgery due to UC J-pouch isn't an option so it is good there is another choice besides the j-pouch.

Let me know if I've forgotten something. Sorry I rambled.

Barby - KS