RemedySpot.com

Update from Tom - MONDAY, DECEMBER 22, 2008 04:37 PM, CST

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Some paradoxes drive me crazy.Today, I feel well enough to go home. I'm still weak and run out of energy early, but I'm starting to get that antsy restless feeling. That's a good thing.

I felt so good when I woke up this morning at 6 am that I decided to take some laps around the floor. I immediately ran into Larry, and we had a nice walk together. It was only us and the nurses awake at that hour, and we did a good ten laps. (Yes, both of us feel well enough to leave.) I wish someone had a camera to capture the two elder statesmen of the transplant floor solving the world's problems on a leisurely stroll.

So, I feel great, but they tell me that I actually don't feel great:1. My blood pressure is low. 86/59 an hour ago. It normally runs around 105/65 because I'm such a laid back dude. I'm not tired, lightheaded, or dizzy. Despite my passionate pleas that I'm more laid back than normal today, they are now pumping IV Gatorade in me.

2. My gut is leaking fats. Not an uncommon side effect of liver transplants. Within hours after I went back on solid foods, the drainage fluid turned cloudy. That indicates that fats are leaking. I actually feel better now that I'm eating big boy food. Still, they put me on a severe fat-restricted diet in hopes that this will correct itself. Let's pray that this happens, because if it doesn't, I'll be on IV nutrition only and nothing by mouth for five days. That means nothing to eat for five days and five more days here.

So, today has been a great day as far as how I feel, but the official indications are otherwise. I'm holding out hope that Larry and I will be released before Christmas, but the chances of that are becoming slimmer and fatter by the hour in my case. I haven't seen any doctors yet today, so I don't have anything definitive yet.

Thanks once again to everyone signing the guest book. I love your messages and comments!Tom

To send a message to Tom, Kathy and family goto;

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/thomasbutler