RemedySpot.com

Re: I think I am itching, what do I do?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

ee:

First take a deep breath and try to relax.

OK, now until somone more knowledgeable gets back to you drink lots of water, do

not get overheated, check obvious triggers ( wool, dry air, new soap, med

changes, sprays, foods ) Start a diary so you can recheck these items when you

need. If you are like many of us the wandering mind can get you no where.

Also, make a list of your recent diet.

My husband has psc and has been very lucky with only one ocassion of itching. So

I only know what I read here.

Breathe, girlfriend and I hope it passes soon.

Warm fuzzies,

dee

ee:

First take a deep breath and try to relax.

OK, now until somone more knowledgeable gets back to you drink lots of water, do

not get overheated, check obvious triggers ( wool, dry air, new soap, med

changes, sprays, foods ) Start a diary so you can recheck these items when you

need. If you are like many of us the wandering mind can get you no where.

Also, make a list of your recent diet.

My husband has psc and has been very lucky with only one ocassion of itching. So

I only know what I read here.

Breathe, girlfriend and I hope it passes soon.

Warm fuzzies,

dee

Regardless of the cause of itching, here are some things to do/not do:Do not use fabric softeners when doing laundry as the chemicals cause itchingUse laundry detergent that is free & clear of as many chemicals as possible. Most detergents now have some form of free & clear detergentUse lukewarm water to bath/shower, as hot water will increase itchingUse a body wash that will help in preventing itching, such as Aveeno anti-itch body wash. Eucerin may have a body wash as well.After showering/bathing, use an anti-itch lotion. Sarna & Eucerin have good lotions. I use the lotion before I towel dry, so you need less lotion.If the above fail, then ask your hepatologist or dermatologist for medicine for itching.Marie

To: From: shawnee.ryan@...Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 18:55:15 +0000Subject: I think I am itching, what do I do?

I say I *think* so, because it could be normal dry skin type itching

and I am paranoid, and also because it is not intense like I have

heard described. But, it is mostly my hands, the palms, which is

unusual. When I have shoes and socks on, my feet itch a little too.

Because this is still so new, my mind goes all over the place. Should

I call the doc? And what will he do, send me for labs? Prescribe

something? It really isn't bad at all, but I just don't know what to

think.

Thanks,

ee

You live life online. So we put Windows on the web. Learn more about Windows Live

Regardless of the cause of itching, here are some things to do/not do:Do not use fabric softeners when doing laundry as the chemicals cause itchingUse laundry detergent that is free & clear of as many chemicals as possible. Most detergents now have some form of free & clear detergentUse lukewarm water to bath/shower, as hot water will increase itchingUse a body wash that will help in preventing itching, such as Aveeno anti-itch body wash. Eucerin may have a body wash as well.After showering/bathing, use an anti-itch lotion. Sarna & Eucerin have good lotions. I use the lotion before I towel dry, so you need less lotion.If the above fail, then ask your hepatologist or dermatologist for medicine for itching.Marie

To: From: shawnee.ryan@...Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 18:55:15 +0000Subject: I think I am itching, what do I do?

think.

Thanks,

ee

You live life online. So we put Windows on the web. Learn more about Windows Live

think.

Thanks,

ee

Just to add to Marie's very good list, I also have certain fabrics when wearing make me itch more, especially nylon or wool blends, cotton is usually the best for me, I also take rifampin and tan and it keeps most of the itching in check...ask your doc if the list fails to help. Best of luck.

Bettyann (SC)

Just to add to Marie's very good list, I also have certain fabrics when wearing make me itch more, especially nylon or wool blends, cotton is usually the best for me, I also take rifampin and tan and it keeps most of the itching in check...ask your doc if the list fails to help. Best of luck.

Bettyann (SC)

Bettyann (SC)

This is one of the things I have the most trouble figuring out as

well. Last winter, before I was diagnosed, I had a lot of trouble with

itchy skin. Looking back, I still don't know if it was PSC or just the

facts of where I live. I grew up in Houston (90% humidity), and had

recently moved to Denver (10%-20% humidity). That definitely played at

least a part in the problem. This year, I noticed less of a problem.

At the time (we did not know about PSC yet), my doctor told me to use

Aquaphor. Its pretty thick stuff, like having a layer of vaseline on,

but it really did help. You can get it at the grocery store. I would

just put it on trouble spots since it is pretty " sticky. " After I was

diagnosed, my hepatologist didn't think there was a great way to stop

itching from PSC. His response was more along the lines of " some

things work for some people but not others....it is tricky. " I would

try some of the remedies people post before going to the doctor, unless

it starts really causing you problems with sleeping or anything like

that. That is just my two cents about it.

Matt McQuillan

PSC 08, UC '08

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses! This is life after

diagnosis I guess, when everything could mean something, even if it

was nothing before. I have always had finicky skin, especially with

the CD. As long as it is bearable I will just...bear it lol.

ee

>

> This is one of the things I have the most trouble figuring out as

> well. Last winter, before I was diagnosed, I had a lot of trouble with

> itchy skin. Looking back, I still don't know if it was PSC or just the

> facts of where I live.

ee,

I have had about 4 "itching attacks" that last bout 4-7 days each. I was so miserable, I found that keeping my skin very moisturized helps alot to prevent itching. Also when it gets bad I take Questran and visit the tanning salon, it helps me a lot!

Good Luck, hang in there,

Sands

UC 2002, PSC 11.07

Subject: Re: I think I am itching, what do I do?To: Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 3:21 PM

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses! This is life afterdiagnosis I guess, when everything could mean something, even if itwas nothing before. I have always had finicky skin, especially withthe CD. As long as it is bearable I will just...bear it lol.ee>> This is one of the things I have the most trouble figuring out as > well. Last winter, before I was diagnosed, I had a lot of trouble with > itchy skin. Looking back, I still don't know if it was PSC or just the > facts of where I live.

ee,

I have had about 4 "itching attacks" that last bout 4-7 days each. I was so miserable, I found that keeping my skin very moisturized helps alot to prevent itching. Also when it gets bad I take Questran and visit the tanning salon, it helps me a lot!

Sands

UC 2002, PSC 11.07

Subject: Re: I think I am itching, what do I do?To: Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 3:21 PM

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses! This is life afterdiagnosis I guess, when everything could mean something, even if itwas nothing before. I have always had finicky skin, especially withthe CD. As long as it is bearable I will just...bear it lol.ee>> This is one of the things I have the most trouble figuring out as > well. Last winter, before I was diagnosed, I had a lot of trouble with > itchy skin. Looking back, I still don't know if it was PSC or just the > facts of where I live.

ee,

Sands

UC 2002, PSC 11.07

I discovered the joys of eczema about 5 years prior to my PSC

diagnosis. :( It did respond to steroids, so it was unlikely to be PSC

pruiritis (in my case). Something to look into however. A search of

hands feet and eczema had a lot of hits.

Arne

Arne

Arne

Sun exposure or a tanning bed can help reduce itching. I would check with your dermatologist first because you want to get the correct UV rays. Also, if you're at high risk for skin cancer, you may decide this isn't for you. I've had melanoma, so I don't want to go this route. I'm also on prednisone, which increases my risk of all cancers.Marie

To: From: clackie@...Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 23:31:52 -0600Subject: Re: I think I am itching, what do I do?

Do you mean you use a tanning bed?

Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills. Get your HotmailĀ® account.

Sun exposure or a tanning bed can help reduce itching. I would check with your dermatologist first because you want to get the correct UV rays. Also, if you're at high risk for skin cancer, you may decide this isn't for you. I've had melanoma, so I don't want to go this route. I'm also on prednisone, which increases my risk of all cancers.Marie

To: From: clackie@...Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 23:31:52 -0600Subject: Re: I think I am itching, what do I do?

Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills. Get your HotmailĀ® account.