RemedySpot.com

Re: dietician, book reccomendations

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Karla and welcome to the group.When my son was diagnosed with UC/PSC I bought severalnutrition books more to deal with his UC problems which were pressing andI didn't really find anything for PSC. I didn't keep the books because while they wereinteresting they weren't much help. It comes down to eating what doesn't botheryour personal system and eating as healthy as possible. For my son that meant avoiding high fat fast food, too much acid/tomato sauce, corn and for some reason pork.He also needs to avoid too much dairy. We did try going to a gluten free diet and we tried todo an elimination diet and then add things back so that we could try to figure out some of the things to avoid.One diet supplement we did add was fish oil. We heard about this at our first PSC PartnersSeeking a Cure conference. There is a hope that fish oil might help. You can read about it in the past newsletters on the Partners website. www.pscpartners.orgMy son also takes a probiotic as he had his colon removed and has pouchitis.I'm glad you have found us and this is the place to ask your questions. Lee mother of Bill 26 UC/PSC/ J-pouchPS If you do see a dietician, I would see one that works closely with your GI doc and is familiarwith GI problems.Hello everyone,I am 30 y.o. and new to this party, just diagnosed with PSC a week ago and I already had colitis. Can anybody recommend any good books about liver health or alternative medicine? What about seeing a dietician?

Hi Karla and welcome to the group.When my son was diagnosed with UC/PSC I bought severalnutrition books more to deal with his UC problems which were pressing andI didn't really find anything for PSC. I didn't keep the books because while they wereinteresting they weren't much help. It comes down to eating what doesn't botheryour personal system and eating as healthy as possible. For my son that meant avoiding high fat fast food, too much acid/tomato sauce, corn and for some reason pork.He also needs to avoid too much dairy. We did try going to a gluten free diet and we tried todo an elimination diet and then add things back so that we could try to figure out some of the things to avoid.One diet supplement we did add was fish oil. We heard about this at our first PSC PartnersSeeking a Cure conference. There is a hope that fish oil might help. You can read about it in the past newsletters on the Partners website. www.pscpartners.orgMy son also takes a probiotic as he had his colon removed and has pouchitis.I'm glad you have found us and this is the place to ask your questions. Lee mother of Bill 26 UC/PSC/ J-pouchPS If you do see a dietician, I would see one that works closely with your GI doc and is familiarwith GI problems.Hello everyone,I am 30 y.o. and new to this party, just diagnosed with PSC a week ago and I already had colitis. Can anybody recommend any good books about liver health or alternative medicine? What about seeing a dietician?

Hi KarlaWelcome!As you mentioned there is no unanimous opinion on what to eat. Seeing a dietician who is knowledgeable in PSC could not hurt.It seems like you are on the right track with healthy eating (fruit and veggies as well as low fat diet) and exercize. Good luck!ShaulPSC UCSent via BlackBerry by AT&TDate: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 20:34:06 -0800 (PST)To: < >Subject: dietician, book reccomendations Hello everyone,I am 30 y.o. and new to this party, just diagnosed with PSC a week ago and I already had colitis. Can anybody recommend any good books about liver health or alternative medicine? What about seeing a dietician? Does anyone think that is helpful? From what I can tell from a brief look on the internet, their focus seems to be on diabetes and obesity, and I don't have either. I exercise, eat plenty of fruits and veggies, and skip the deserts, fast food, and processed foods, but I feel like a want to do something more.Thanks!Karla

Karla,

Hi! I've seen several nutritionists/dieticians. I got some good advice from them in terms of they'd like us (and everyone) to eat 6 small meals a day (about the size of the toddler dishes/plates for serving size) instead of 3 big meals. Other than that, as far as PSC, I've been told by one to eat as many high fat foods as I can (they specifically recommended milkshakes, ice cream, hamburgers, etc.). Another one told me to stick to low-fat foods and avoid all dairy and yet another one told me that there is no "diet" for PSC and the best thing I can do is eat what my body craves when it craves it. All of these nutritionists/dieticians are accredited and well-respected in the field. I think it just boils down to the fact that we're all so different with this disease that you sort of have to play trial and error and see what works for you. I know I'm okay with sugar, but a good pal of mine itches something awful

whenever he ingests it. Another pal of mine can tolerate veggies really well but I can't handle them at all. I think if seeing someone will give you peace of mind and a starting point, it's well worth it, but I'm guessing since PSC is so individualized, it may be a time will tell kind of diet plan that seems to work best for you!

Best of luck! Hope this helped a bit!

Sandi in VA

Karla,

Hi! I've seen several nutritionists/dieticians. I got some good advice from them in terms of they'd like us (and everyone) to eat 6 small meals a day (about the size of the toddler dishes/plates for serving size) instead of 3 big meals. Other than that, as far as PSC, I've been told by one to eat as many high fat foods as I can (they specifically recommended milkshakes, ice cream, hamburgers, etc.). Another one told me to stick to low-fat foods and avoid all dairy and yet another one told me that there is no "diet" for PSC and the best thing I can do is eat what my body craves when it craves it. All of these nutritionists/dieticians are accredited and well-respected in the field. I think it just boils down to the fact that we're all so different with this disease that you sort of have to play trial and error and see what works for you. I know I'm okay with sugar, but a good pal of mine itches something awful

whenever he ingests it. Another pal of mine can tolerate veggies really well but I can't handle them at all. I think if seeing someone will give you peace of mind and a starting point, it's well worth it, but I'm guessing since PSC is so individualized, it may be a time will tell kind of diet plan that seems to work best for you!

Sandi in VA

Karla,

Sandi in VA

Thanks everyone for answering. Happy Thanksgiving.To: Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 12:05:32 PMSubject: Re: dietician, book reccomendations

Karla,

Hi! I've seen several nutritionists/ dieticians. I got some good advice from them in terms of they'd like us (and everyone) to eat 6 small meals a day (about the size of the toddler dishes/plates for serving size) instead of 3 big meals. Other than that, as far as PSC, I've been told by one to eat as many high fat foods as I can (they specifically recommended milkshakes, ice cream, hamburgers, etc.). Another one told me to stick to low-fat foods and avoid all dairy and yet another one told me that there is no "diet" for PSC and the best thing I can do is eat what my body craves when it craves it. All of these nutritionists/ dieticians are accredited and well-respected in the field. I think it just boils down to the fact that we're all so different with this disease that you sort of have to play trial and error and see what works for you. I know I'm okay with sugar, but a good pal of mine itches something

awful

Sandi in VA