RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Vitamin D follow up question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I remember that during the summer I did a good three hours of outside activities being well tanned I was sure that I was getting enough vit d. My ND did a pretty comprehensive blood test and found that my vitamin d was half the norm range. I started taking a vit d supplement. I did not do a repeat test but as of yet I did not feel any change. ShaulPSC UCSent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: " " Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:40:20 -0000To: < >Subject: Re: Vitamin D follow up question Hi ee;It's recommended that patients with cholestatic liver diseases like primary biliary cirrhosis and primary sclerosing cholangitis do get checked for fat-soluble vitamin deficiencies such as vitamin D and A, and then take supplements to correct any deficiencies. But you have to be very careful not to over-dose. A good guide is this article:http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/digestive-health/nutritionarticles/april2006.pdfBest regards,Dave (father of (23); PSC 07/03; UC 08/03)> >> > What is your vitamin D level? If normal, 400 units is the current> "typical"> >>

I remember that during the summer I did a good three hours of outside activities being well tanned I was sure that I was getting enough vit d. My ND did a pretty comprehensive blood test and found that my vitamin d was half the norm range. I started taking a vit d supplement. I did not do a repeat test but as of yet I did not feel any change. ShaulPSC UCSent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: " " Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:40:20 -0000To: < >Subject: Re: Vitamin D follow up question Hi ee;It's recommended that patients with cholestatic liver diseases like primary biliary cirrhosis and primary sclerosing cholangitis do get checked for fat-soluble vitamin deficiencies such as vitamin D and A, and then take supplements to correct any deficiencies. But you have to be very careful not to over-dose. A good guide is this article:http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/digestive-health/nutritionarticles/april2006.pdfBest regards,Dave (father of (23); PSC 07/03; UC 08/03)> >> > What is your vitamin D level? If normal, 400 units is the current> "typical"> >>

CholangitisSuprt@... wrote:

>

> >I remember that during the summer I did a good three hours of outside

> >activities being well tanned I was sure that I was getting enough vit

> d.

>

That sounds sort of similar to my experience. I'd been outside a lot

and had actually been taking about 2000 IU of vit D daily, but I still

tested very low. They put me on 50,000 IU once a week for a while, and

that got me back to normal. Now I take 3,000 to 4,000 IU a day, and

tested in the normal range with that dosage. Of course you should get

tested before taking that high of doses, but some people (like me) do

need them.

athan

>

> d.

>

need them.

athan

>

> d.

>

need them.

athan

I better get tested soon againShaulPSC UCSent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: athan Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 20:17:22 -0500To: < >Subject: Re: Re: Vitamin D follow up question CholangitisSuprt (AT) aol (DOT) com wrote: > > >I remember that during the summer I did a good three hours of outside > >activities being well tanned I was sure that I was getting enough vit > d. > That sounds sort of similar to my experience. I'd been outside a lot and had actually been taking about 2000 IU of vit D daily, but I still tested very low. They put me on 50,000 IU once a week for a while, and that got me back to normal. Now I take 3,000 to 4,000 IU a day, and tested in the normal range with that dosage. Of course you should get tested before taking that high of doses, but some people (like me) do need them. athan

I better get tested soon againShaulPSC UCSent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: athan Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 20:17:22 -0500To: < >Subject: Re: Re: Vitamin D follow up question CholangitisSuprt (AT) aol (DOT) com wrote: > > >I remember that during the summer I did a good three hours of outside > >activities being well tanned I was sure that I was getting enough vit > d. > That sounds sort of similar to my experience. I'd been outside a lot and had actually been taking about 2000 IU of vit D daily, but I still tested very low. They put me on 50,000 IU once a week for a while, and that got me back to normal. Now I take 3,000 to 4,000 IU a day, and tested in the normal range with that dosage. Of course you should get tested before taking that high of doses, but some people (like me) do need them. athan

ee

Around seven years ago, I asked my hepatologist about testing for vitamin D. At that time he quickly responded with a not necessary and dismissed the contention. Last year I was diagnosed with osteopenia. Therefore test and take supplementation before they want to prescribe fosamax.

Phil

PSC 93

To: Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2008 11:40:20 AMSubject: Re: Vitamin D follow up question

Hi ee;

It's recommended that patients with cholestatic liver diseases like primary biliary cirrhosis and primary sclerosing cholangitis do get checked for fat-soluble vitamin deficiencies such as vitamin D and A, and then take supplements to correct any deficiencies. But you have to be very careful not to over-dose. A good guide is this article:

http://www.healthsy stem.virginia. edu/internet/ digestive- health/nutrition articles/ april2006. pdf

Best regards,

Dave

(father of (23); PSC 07/03; UC 08/03)

> >> > What is your vitamin D level? If normal, 400 units is the current> "typical"> >>

They just have to requedt vitamin d levels. If I remember correctly that is what is said on my script. Sent via BlackBerry by AT&TFrom: "jswdi" Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:52:39 -0000To: < >Subject: Re: Vitamin D follow up question The Vitamin discussion is interesting as my PSC was relatively stable for almost 4 years but flared in conjunction with our 30th anniversary to Maui. Sue and I when to a tanning place as well as being out doors a lot and were as dark as I had been in college. We kept the tan going through this past June. I am not saying there was any correlation but it is interesting to me that my Liver Numbers jumped and did not really come down and am now beginning evaluation for a TX. What is the specific blood test for Vitamin D? My Health Provider tends to do the absolute minimum Blood work – in fact, it wasn't until I was in the hospital with a scary shade of Yellow that they finally did Liver Tests after having UC for 7 years. At that time my ALK was 760. > > > > >I remember that during the summer I did a good three hours of outside > > >activities being well tanned I was sure that I was getting enough vit > > d. > > > > > > > That sounds sort of similar to my experience. I'd been outside a lot > and had actually been taking about 2000 IU of vit D daily, but I still > tested very low. They put me on 50,000 IU once a week for a while, and > that got me back to normal. Now I take 3,000 to 4,000 IU a day, and > tested in the normal range with that dosage. Of course you should get > tested before taking that high of doses, but some people (like me) do > need them. > > athan >