RemedySpot.com

Update from Kathy re:Tom - MONDAY, DECEMBER 15, 2008 03:34 PM, CST

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Good afternoon everyone. We're waiting for Tom to be taken for a CT scan. Yesterday he had bile crystals in the drainage from his abdomen, and the doctors want to figure out what's causing that. They particularly want to look at the area where the liver is attached to the bowel. They'll assess what to do about a leak when they see what the situation is. I'll update you when I know what's going on. His labwork was better today, and it appears that they found the right antibiotic to fight the infection. That's good news.

Tom is doing well. He looks good, and his sense of humor is good as long as his pain meds are working. He tends to have a lot of pain starting at about 2 AM, and it lasts until they get it controlled around 10 AM. Pain control overnight seems to be somewhat lacking. They put him back on clear liquids, and he hasn't even had that today because he didn't feel like he wanted anything at breakfast because of his pain then he couldn't have lunch because of the upcoming scan.

We have to meet with someone from the transplant department tomorrow to learn about life after Tom goes home. I'm going to have to learn how to take his blood pressure. He has to log all his vitals everyday. Fun!

I'm going to go visit Larry while Tom is having his scan done. I heard it through the grapevine that he is doing well today.Debbie and I went to dinner last night and talked about the joys and frustrations of the process. She is such a neat person...I've really enjoyed getting to know her and Larry.

Tom and I are looking forward to seeing his parents tomorrow. I know they've been eager to see him, and they've been very patient about waiting until Tom got through the worst of things. I'll let you know if I find out anything more tonight.

To send a message to Tom, Kathy and family goto;

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/thomasbutler