husband's case, after a scary flare up of UC in 2004, he is now on

Salofalk and Imuran and at the last colonoscopy a couple of months ago,

his UC is 'inactive'. However his PSC was only discovered earlier this

year. So in answer to your question, at least in my husband's case,

having the UC under control doens't seem to help the situation with the

PSC.

Cheers,

Kate

UC does not cause PSC, and PSC does not cause UC. About 5% of those with UC will develop PSC (http://www.ccfa.org/info/about/complications/liver), and most people with PSC have some form of IBD (and some don't). Even those without a colon (the ultimate "cure" for UC) still have PSC, so an improvement in UC will not help PSC.

It is not uncommon for those with PSC to have other autoimmune diseases. This was the subject of a poll here, some time ago (http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group//surveys?id=2713689). Personally, I have UC, PSC, eczema, asthma, allergies and (probably) arthritis and degenerative spine conditions. But I'm also closing in on 60.

PSC is more likely "caused" by a genetic defect (we all have some), which may only present after some sort of environmental trigger ("insult"). Please note that I am not a physician, but I am (relatively) well informed.

Excellent question - please keep asking them!

Arne57 - UC 1977 - PSC 2000Alive and well in Minnesota

----- Original Message ----- maybe this question has already been asked, but I will ask again. Does anyone know if UC causes PSC or vice versa? I read in a digestive article that people who have UC can then get other conditions, such as, arthritis or liver conditions such as PSC. As I read it it made me think that if I get my daughters UC under control it could maybe help her PSC...

UC does not cause PSC, and PSC does not cause UC. About 5% of those with UC will develop PSC (http://www.ccfa.org/info/about/complications/liver), and most people with PSC have some form of IBD (and some don't). Even those without a colon (the ultimate "cure" for UC) still have PSC, so an improvement in UC will not help PSC.

It is not uncommon for those with PSC to have other autoimmune diseases. This was the subject of a poll here, some time ago (http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group//surveys?id=2713689). Personally, I have UC, PSC, eczema, asthma, allergies and (probably) arthritis and degenerative spine conditions. But I'm also closing in on 60.

PSC is more likely "caused" by a genetic defect (we all have some), which may only present after some sort of environmental trigger ("insult"). Please note that I am not a physician, but I am (relatively) well informed.

Excellent question - please keep asking them!

Arne57 - UC 1977 - PSC 2000Alive and well in Minnesota

----- Original Message ----- maybe this question has already been asked, but I will ask again. Does anyone know if UC causes PSC or vice versa? I read in a digestive article that people who have UC can then get other conditions, such as, arthritis or liver conditions such as PSC. As I read it it made me think that if I get my daughters UC under control it could maybe help her PSC...

My daughter is registered at a transplant hospital and the Doc. there said UC causes PSC. But as far as I know you have to have the genetics to develop PSC.....UC triggers it off. I have since read the same thing......so I believe that is so.

Gwynn