RemedySpot.com

Update from Kathy re: Tom - TUESDAY, DECEMBER 30, 2008 04:30 PM, CST

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We thought they might be releasing Tom today, but they changed their minds. They are going to keep him until Friday. He seems to be feeling better today. Maybe the IV nutrition they've been giving him for the last four days is helping. It at least seems to have stabilized his weight which is a good thing. He's skinny as a rail.

The doctors told him that he will probably be on IV nutrition for the next four weeks. He's definitely taking that news better than I would! He says once they let him start eating again and he works up to regular food that we are going to go out to a really nice (probably really expensive) dinner wherever he wants to go. Sounds good to me...I'll definitely be ready for a date night by then! Right now a nap sounds even better than dinner out.

An infectious disease doctor has been in to see Tom twice. He explained that the amount of MRSA that they detected in his drains was extremely small. This coupled with the fact that he is not showing any signs of abscesses on his latest abdominal scans or infection in any of his surgical sites makes them think that he does not have any kind of widespread infection to worry about. That is a good thing because a widespread MRSA infection with Tom's decrease immunity would be bad. They are going to keep him on a couple of antibiotics as a prophylactic measure.

Once Tom comes home from the hospital I'll have to be able to hook him up for his IV nutrition every evening. A home healthcare person will come to the house to train me on everything. Maybe they could teach me something profitable like giving Botox injections next. We could just set up a clinic in the guest room! Tom could iron out any wrinkles you have with the IRS while I get rid of the wrinkles in your face! Okay, I'll admit it, I'm punchy. I'm going to take a nap.

Kathy

To send a message to Tom, Kathy and family goto;

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/thomasbutler