RemedySpot.com

Outreach workers

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello my name is Violeta Garza I work for Southern Illinois Healthcare Foundation. I recently became interested in migrant health care. I am seeking any information on out reach workers working

in migrant communities. I am interested in job descriptions and management

ideas for the distant outreach worker.

Thanks in

advance

Violeta

Dear Violeta: Thanks for your interest in Outreach Worker programs. There are several national programs that you can go to. I suggest that you contact someone at the following three programs directly:

The National Center for Farmworker Health

www.ncfh.org

512-312-2700 (ask for Saevedo)

Farmworker Health Services, Inc.

www.farmworkerhealth.org

202-347-7377

Migrant Health Promotion

734-944-0244

or contact Tori Booker directly at tbooker@...

Good luck,

Joni Berardino, NCFH

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 11:20 AM

Subject: [ ] Outreach workers

Hello my name is Violeta Garza I work for Southern Illinois Healthcare Foundation. I recently became interested in migrant health care. I am seeking any information on out reach workers working in migrant communities. I am interested in job descriptions and management ideas for the distant outreach worker.

Thanks in advance

VioletaTo Post a message, send it to: GroupsTo Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: -unsubscribe

• 5 years later...

Well I'm sure they mean a different thing in Children Centres, but my sister worked as an outreach worker for the Big Issue. Her job was to identify and work with homeless people and help put them in touch with training, health, employment and housing services - as well as support them in selling the Big Issue. She did this role initially as a volunteer when first graduating from University. Later she then took on the role of delivering some of the training mainly on life skills.

I think there are lots of similarities with the signposting aspect of health visiting. The key thing was being able to connect with the people she was working with - understand them and their needs properly in order to avoid working towards unachievable goals.

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of CowleySent: 22 February 2008 21:38 Subject: outreach workers

Another query; who, what and where are 'outreach workers'? I see in the Children's Plan that every Sure Start Children's Centre is expected to have at least two and someone suggested (though I don't know if this is true) that DCSF are funding 4000 of them. Just wondered how their work differed from the outreach function of health visitors.sarahcowley183btinternethttp://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition.Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.20.9/1294 - Release Date: 22/02/2008 18:39

No virus found in this outgoing message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.20.9/1294 - Release Date: 22/02/2008 18:39

In our area we make referals to them and they will then go out and visit the

family (the introductory visit usually has the referer present to try to help

the identified needs are being met and if not so that the referer can think of

other possible services) Together we look at developing a short term support

package which may include taking to local services inc " toddler type groups "

this is useful particularly when English is not a first/ second or third

language. They also do out reach work in the home. Some are trained in play and

language development and others in nutrition. They are really useful but need to

have really good mentoring and supervision. They are able to befriend families

and get them out to services which they may not utelise otherwise.

---- Original message ----

>Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 21:37:39 +0000

>From: Cowley <sarahcowley183@...>

>Subject: outreach workers

>

>

> Another query; who, what and where are 'outreach

> workers'? I see in

> the Children's Plan that every Sure Start Children's

> Centre is

> expected to have at least two and someone suggested

> (though I don't

> know if this is true) that DCSF are funding 4000 of

> them. Just

> wondered how their work differed from the outreach

> function of health

> visitors.

>

>

>

> sarahcowley183@...

> http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

>

>

This message may contain confidential and privileged information.

If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies.

Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail

or take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly

prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has

gone astray before deleting it. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is used daily by over 100,000 staff in the NHS. Over a million

messages are sent every day by the system. To find out why more and

more NHS personnel are switching to this NHS Connecting for Health

system please visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail

Many thanks .  On 23 Feb 2008, at 15:53, Coles wrote:I originally heard the term in relation to working with street people, especially those with drugabuse and prostitution. Sometimes the outreach workers were from the same background as the peoplethey were seeking to help and if not, a principle was they had to be able to relate to them in a waythat was acceptable and offered drop in services and assured confidentiality. It has been used inhealth promotion for rural communities in developing countries. More recently it has appearded in Sure Start with a job description and graded band 4 or 5 underAgenda for Change. It seems akin to family support worker and applies to those who work with schoolchildren too. It often reqires NVQ or nursery nurse qualifications. It seems to be to do with getting access to hard to reach communities. See a description for Localgovernment employees in respect of Children's Information Services which may be where the connectionis with Children'sCentreshttp://www.lgcareers.com/career-descriptions/caring-for-your-community/outreach-development-worker-childrens-information-service/>>> Cowley <sarahcowley183btinternet> 23/02/2008 13:16 >>>Thanks . Anyone else have any information? best wishes On 23 Feb 2008, at 11:02, Whittaker wrote:>> Well I'm sure they mean a different thing in Children Centres, but > my sister worked as an outreach worker for the Big Issue. Her job > was to identify and work with homeless people and help put them in > touch with training, health, employment and housing services - as > well as support them in selling the Big Issue. She did this role > initially as a volunteer when first graduating from University. > Later she then took on the role of delivering some of the training > mainly on life skills.> I think there are lots of similarities with the signposting aspect > of health visiting. The key thing was being able to connect with > the people she was working with - understand them and their needs > properly in order to avoid working towards unachievable goals.>> > From: [mailto:SENATE- > HVSN ] On Behalf Of Cowley> Sent: 22 February 2008 21:38> > Subject: outreach workers>> Another query; who, what and where are 'outreach workers'? I see in> the Children's Plan that every Sure Start Children's Centre is> expected to have at least two and someone suggested (though I don't> know if this is true) that DCSF are funding 4000 of them. Just> wondered how their work differed from the outreach function of health> visitors.>> >> sarahcowley183btinternet > http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn >>>> No virus found in this incoming message.> Checked by AVG Free Edition.> Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.20.9/1294 - Release Date: > 22/02/2008 18:39>>> No virus found in this outgoing message.> Checked by AVG Free Edition.> Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.20.9/1294 - Release Date: > 22/02/2008 18:39>>> sarahcowley183btinternet http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn sarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn

Thank you Sally.  This (and 's and 's contributions) suggest that these people are a helpful addition to the team, but your comment about mentoring and supervision seems well made.  I have just reading a recent report about community mothers (perhaps they, too, are a form of outreach work?) which made the same point; you just can't send people put without really sound back up and support.  I like the idea of  taking great care to ensure the appropriateness of referral at the introductory visit, too.I am interested that you talk of 'referring' to the outreach worker.  There is a really nice paper by Carr and ine Pearson* that highlights some of the confusion around 'delegation' (to a junior team member who is managerially accountable to the person doing the delegating; classic skillmix) and 'referring' when the person receiving the referral is either part of another team (which accepts accountability) or an autonomous worker in their own right.  This appears to be a another variation, because it sounds as though you are also doing the supervision and mentoring.  Have I understood this right?  best wishes* Carr SM, Pearson PH. Delegation: perception and practice in community nursing. Primary Health Care Research and Development 2005 (6): 72–81. On 24 Feb 2008, at 11:27, Hamer Sally (Oldham PCT) wrote:In our area we make referals to them and they will then go out and visit the family (the introductory visit usually has the referer present to try to help the identified needs are being met and if not so that the referer can think of other possible services) Together we look at developing a short term support package which may include taking to local services inc "toddler type groups" this is useful particularly when English is not a first/ second or third language. They also do out reach work in the home. Some are trained in play and language development and others in nutrition. They are really useful but need to have really good mentoring and supervision. They are able to befriend families and get them out to services which they may not utelise otherwise.---- Original message ---->Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 21:37:39 +0000>From: Cowley <sarahcowley183btinternet> >Subject: outreach workers > >> Another query; who, what and where are 'outreach> workers'? I see in> the Children's Plan that every Sure Start Children's> Centre is> expected to have at least two and someone suggested> (though I don't> know if this is true) that DCSF are funding 4000 of> them. Just> wondered how their work differed from the outreach> function of health> visitors.>> >> sarahcowley183btinternet> http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn>> **********************************************************************This message may contain confidential and privileged information.If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies.Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mailor take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictlyprohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message hasgone astray before deleting it. Thank you for your co-operation.NHSmail is used daily by over 100,000 staff in the NHS. Over a millionmessages are sent every day by the system. To find out why more andmore NHS personnel are switching to this NHS Connecting for Healthsystem please visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail********************************************************************** sarahcowley183@...http://myprofile.cos.com/S124021COn