RemedySpot.com

: RE: Life expectancy > Jerry Cash

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Jerry :

This may help you with your question about the way MSA progress with the age that it comes on at. I remember reading it in the posting from eMedicine that Pam posted at one time. So I looked and found this.

Mortality/Morbidity: Patients with MSA have a poor prognosis. The disease progresses rapidly. Patients survive an average of 9.5 years after the onset of the illness. Bronchopneumonia (48%) and sudden death (21%) are common terminal conditions. Race: MSA has been encountered in Caucasian, African, and Asian populations. Sex: The disease can be found more often in males than in females. Female-to-male ratios of occurrence from 1:3 to 1:9 are reported. Earlier and easier diagnosis of impotence may lead to the predominance of males diagnosed with MSA. Age: The mean age at onset in MSA is 52.5-55 years. The disease progresses over intervals of 1-18 years. Median survival times of 6.2-9.5 years from the first symptoms have been reported in the last 2 decades. Older age of onset was associated with shorter survival duration. The overall nigrostriatal cell loss correlated with severity of disease at the time of death.

We know that each person is different. I've seen alot of progression in Fred this last year and he was 55 when we first became aware that something was going on and 56 when he was DX. His only 61 now.

Alot of his progression has shown up after his had pneumonia, or a UTI. Always brings on his weakness.

I hope I helped with your question.

Take Care Vera

Is there any reason to suspect that people who have onset of symptoms and/or

are diagnosed with MSA at a later age (as opposed to people who have onset

or symptoms or are diagnosed in their 50s) might progress more rapidly? I

haven't been keeping track of it, but it seems that maybe we hear more about

"rapid declines" from people who are older when diagnosed. Anyone else have

any comments on this?

Jerry Cash

Guest guest

Good memory Vera!

Thanks,

Jerry

-----Original Message-----From: FVJAMES@... Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 8:34 PMTo: shydrager Subject: : RE: Life expectancy > Jerry CashJerry :This may help you with your question about the way MSA progress with the age that it comes on at. I remember reading it in the posting from eMedicine that Pam posted at one time. So I looked and found this. Mortality/Morbidity: Patients with MSA have a poor prognosis. The disease progresses rapidly. Patients survive an average of 9.5 years after the onset of the illness. Bronchopneumonia (48%) and sudden death (21%) are common terminal conditions. Race: MSA has been encountered in Caucasian, African, and Asian populations. Sex: The disease can be found more often in males than in females. Female-to-male ratios of occurrence from 1:3 to 1:9 are reported. Earlier and easier diagnosis of impotence may lead to the predominance of males diagnosed with MSA. Age: The mean age at onset in MSA is 52.5-55 years. The disease progresses over intervals of 1-18 years. Median survival times of 6.2-9.5 years from the first symptoms have been reported in the last 2 decades. Older age of onset was associated with shorter survival duration. The overall nigrostriatal cell loss correlated with We know that each person is different. I've seen alot of progression in Fred this last year and he was 55 when we first became aware that something was going on and 56 when he was DX. His only 61 now. Alot of his progression has shown up after his had pneumonia, or a UTI. Always brings on his weakness. I hope I helped with your question.Take Care VeraIs there any reason to suspect that people who have onset of symptoms and/orare diagnosed with MSA at a later age (as opposed to people who have onsetor symptoms or are diagnosed in their 50s) might progress more rapidly? Ihaven't been keeping track of it, but it seems that maybe we hear more about"rapid declines" from people who are older when diagnosed. Anyone else haveany comments on this?Jerry CashIf you do not wish to belong to shydrager, you may unsubscribe by sending a blank email to shydrager-unsubscribe