for the course? First my hand writing went, then it seemed like I did

everything in was slow motion. Then I could no longer curl my hair or trim

my nails. Now even my routine exercises are slow and weak. I'm having

difficulty cutting up food and sometime eating with fork and knife. My thumb

and index finger seem OK but the rest of the fingers are no help in picking

things up or holding a book. Dodie in MO

Guest guest

Dodie,

Yes, my arms are quite weak but there are extenuating circumstances that contribute.

Weakness in the arms is accompanied by weakness in back and feet and legs also. Do you use a walker? I find leaning on it and lugging it around tires my arms quite a bit. Recently I "inherited " a tri-wheeled walker with brakes on the handlebars. It relieves some of the pressure on my arms as I can stop it and let my feet catch up without having to lean so hard with my arms.

My handwriting went at least 3 and more years ago (loss of h/w was one of my earliest symptoms). I have no more manual dexterity and am no longer able to knit, quilt or do anything "close" with my hands. Handling eating utensils is a chore, also. I do exercise with "play dough" that was given me by the PT department when in hospital last fall. Doesn't make things improve, but may slow the getting worse down some.

Osteo-arthritis in my shoulders, back, hips, knees, and ankles doesn't help. Sometimes it's hard for me to tell where it and MSA start and stop. They each feed on the other, I feel. My left arm and leg are noticeably weaker than the right (also an early symptom). An electrode test (as was discussed recently on list) done on my left leg some 3 years ago revealed no abnormality. This was long before any dx of PD or MSA was made.

This is a mish-mash of info which may or may not be of any help. Just keep moving. I agree wholeheartedly with Bill Werre who is an advocate of the keep moving school. The more active the better even if it hurts like the dickens!!!

barb pond

blacksburg va