RemedySpot.com

Back from Alaska>Carol

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Carol:

Sound like Alaska was everything I dreamed it was. Glad you got to go and enjoy it. Good to have you back. I can't wait to see the pictures.

Hugs Vera

Hi gang,

Well, we're back. The scenery in Alaska was beautiful and Rob did pretty well. He had problems with excessive night time urination, which I finally figured out (due to the high volume) must be due to supine hypertension. Ever try elevating the head of the bed ON A SHIP?? Not easy, but I managed with creative use of the pads for the outdoor chairs on the balcony, which I placed under the mattress at the head of the bed. And bingo -- problem solved. Amazing how creative we can be, isn't it?

I noticed some posts today about pressure sores, and thought about that in connection with raising the head of the bed. I think that is another reason to raise the entire head of the bed (with blocks under the headboard) rather than just the head of the patient, as with a hospital bed that elevates the patient to a sitting position. If the patient is essentially lying down but the whole bed is raised at the head the patient can still move around and can change position more easily, thus helping to avoid pressure sores.

More on Alaska -- it was beautiful, and we also had good weather. We saw glaciers, and lots and lots of wildlife -- whales, (both humpback and Orcas), seals, sea lions, sea otters, porpoises, bald eagles, deer and black bears (who were dining on salmon they caught mid stream). It was fascinating and the best part was having all the (grown) kids and my mom along with us. All in all it was great fun, but unfortunately quite taxing for Rob, who tires more and more easily these days. I'm glad we got to make the trip, but I suspect it may be our last "big" trip. We'll see. I took lots of pictures and if there are some good ones I'll try to scan them in and send them along.

Glad to be back,

Carol & Rob

Lexington, MA