RemedySpot.com

Re: :Old farmer >Dr.Ray

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Dr. Ray:

Do you really think I'm going to have to plant potatoes again? :o) At least not before 2050 huh? I happen to come across something on tv where this woman makes candy out of potatoes. Looked just like chocolate , I could go for that , I'd be in my hay day. But ! no kidding I'll have to try this way that you told me about the tire. I'm going to have to do something different. I've enclosed a picture of the garden ( I think I did ) On the far left in that small spot by the shed is where I put them all. Yeap! all 39 plant's. I know, but what can I say I'm just a City Slicker :o).

I have another question for this old farmer, if you don't mind. How did you stake your tomato plants so they wouldn't fall over? Mine get so heavy that they fall over with the cage and the stake . Would love to know how to keep them from doing that.

Take Care

Vera

Vera,

If you have a cool dry basement, 39 plants should last you until about 2050. (LOL)

Next time you plant potatoes, try this method. IT will work.

Get an old tire fill the tire full of planting medium(what ever dirt you want). As your plants grow, add another tire until you get to four. Put straw inside each added tire. When harvest time comes, remove the tires and find all your potatoes!. they will not have to be dug, and sometimes you can lift the top of the plant and all the plant and potatoes will come out at one time.

An old farmer trick, from an old farmer....

Dr. Ray

Guest guest

Vera,

You can buy round tomato cages or the metal fence posts make good tomato stakes

(the ones for chicken wire or the rectangular wire fence), they have little

hooks on them which hold up the ties. Are you pinching off the suckers- that

makes them top heavey but makes the plant less bushy.

See you also grew corn :o) Doesn't pay to grow corn on a small plot :o) (like

potatoes :o) A couple of cucumber plants and pepper plants will supply you with

a lot of produce (like tomatoes). I always grew radishes, but they seldom made

it into the house :o) Carrots worked well here also, but I had to work some

sand and organic material into the clay first.

You could also pick a south facing wall and attach the tomato plants to it.

That would also work for sunflowers and your birds would love you for planting

sunflowers :o)

Be careful of using tires, steel belted radials will often have the belts come

through the tire and cut you badly. I used 2x4's nailed into 2 foot squares

which did the same thing, don't use pressure treated however, it has poison in

it. If you hang them up in a garage or shed over the winter, they last about

3-4 growing seasons.

Take care, Bill Werre

Hi Dr. Ray:

Do you really think I'm going to have to plant potatoes again? :o) At least not before 2050 huh? I happen to come across something on tv where this woman makes candy out of potatoes. Looked just like chocolate , I could go for that , I'd be in my hay day. But ! no kidding I'll have to try this way that you told me about the tire. I'm going to have to do something different. I've enclosed a picture of the garden ( I think I did ) On the far left in that small spot by the shed is where I put them all. Yeap! all 39 plant's. I know, but what can I say I'm just a City Slicker :o).

I have another question for this old farmer, if you don't mind. How did you stake your tomato plants so they wouldn't fall over? Mine get so heavy that they fall over with the cage and the stake . Would love to know how to keep them from doing that.

Take Care

Vera

Vera,

If you have a cool dry basement, 39 plants should last you until about 2050. (LOL)

Next time you plant potatoes, try this method. IT will work.

Get an old tire fill the tire full of planting medium(what ever dirt you want). As your plants grow, add another tire until you get to four. Put straw inside each added tire. When harvest time comes, remove the tires and find all your potatoes!. they will not have to be dug, and sometimes you can lift the top of the plant and all the plant and potatoes will come out at one time.

An old farmer trick, from an old farmer....

Dr. Ray

If you do not wish to belong to shydrager, you may

unsubscribe by sending a blank email to

shydrager-unsubscribe