RemedySpot.com

Florinef versus midodrine

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Folks,

I've read somewhere on the internet, but also perhaps on the list about midodrine as being a substitute for florinef with regards to the OH.

Florinef seems to retain fluid on places where women wants to be thin :-)

Midodrine reacts directly on the vains to increase tension.

Our neuro is reluctant to prescribe midodrine since he has no experience with it, nor the government is fully in favor for use of midodrine for this use.

Does anyone has more experience with the use of midodrine?

Groetjes,

Timo

Guest guest

Timo,

Many people on the list use midodrine (also known as proamatine). It can be use along with florinef or instead of florinef. The two act differently:

Florinef acts to increase blood volume, by retaining water in the bloodstream. This is why it causes some swelling. It must be used with salt and the patient must consume 2 liters of water a day for it to be effective. It can also deplete potassium, so frequent blood tests are necessary to be sure electrolyte level are proper. Florinef is long acting.

Midodrine acts to constrict the blood vessels, thus to raise the blood pressure. It must not be taken within 4 hours of lying down because it can raise supine (lying down) blood pressure to dangerous levels. It is short acting, and generally begins to work within 30 - 60 minutes of taking it and wears off in about 4 hours.

Here is the link to the Shire (manufacturer of Midodrine) website:

http://www.shire.com/default.asp?wci=main

Carol & Rob

Lexington, MA

Florinef versus midodrine

Hi Folks,

I've read somewhere on the internet, but also perhaps on the list about midodrine as being a substitute for florinef with regards to the OH.

Our neuro is reluctant to prescribe midodrine since he has no experience with it, nor the government is fully in favor for use of midodrine for this use.

Groetjes,

TimoIf you do not wish to belong to shydrager, you may unsubscribe by sending a blank email to shydrager-unsubscribe

Guest guest

Hi Timo,

My husband, Jim, was on both for quite a long time. Because they work differently, they are often prescribed together. Florinef is much shorter acting, and midodrine's(Proamatine) effects are long lasting. The neuro added the Proamatine to Jim's regimen when the florinef didn't seem to do enough any more or last long enough. He took the Proamatine am and pm, which helped to stabilize his bp overall, and the florinef was three or four times a day - but the last one around supper time so the bp wasn't too high by the time he went down for the night. Worked great for him.

Hugs,

Nan

-----Original Message-----From: Timo & Anne Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 12:21 PMTo: shydrager Subject: Florinef versus midodrine

Hi Folks,

Groetjes,

TimoIf you do not wish to belong to shydrager, you may unsubscribe by sending a blank email to shydrager-unsubscribe

Guest guest

Nan:

I think it is the other way around. The Florinef has a very long half

life and the Midodrine has a short one. I think you got then confused.

Barbara