RemedySpot.com

Re: Shrimp Gumbo > Jill >Jim *Judy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Jim & Judy:

I've had my black pans for along time, but my neighbor9 who was born in Louisiana) got me into cooking the way you do in Louisiana. My home wouldn't be complete if I didn't have my Chef Prudhommes cook book and fix the bar.b que shrimp dish at least a few times a year. Just thinking of it make me want to have some.

Thanks for all the good dishes that come from your way..

Take Care

Vera

Vera and Jill

Gumbo is always best if you get those "scrapings" to turn a slightly dark nutty brown. As you said "The scrapings not only add to the gumbo's flavor, but also decrease the gumbo files ability to thicken". There many gumbo receipts here in Louisiana. They all have two things in common: 1. The use of a black iron pot or black Dutch oven. And 2. Gumbo is always better on the second day.

There is a Christmas Eve tradition in Louisiana and parts of Texas. The gumbo is started early in the day and allowed to simmer for hours at a slow simmer and when we get back from midnight mass, we have gumbo and open presents.

Also try some chopped up okra in it. Some people don't like it and others think it is not a complete gumbo without okra ( me).

Enjoy, and don't worry about mistakes, it usually makes the gumbo better.

I have included a couple web sites if you are interested.

God Bless,

Judy & Jim Stark