RemedySpot.com

how to use your suppositories>Belinda

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Belinda:

You were asking about suppositories and I knew I had something on how to, but couldn't find it last night. So here it is. It tells you everything that you need to know. I think I told you about putting them in the frige, Sorry ! it's put them in a cool dark place to store, but not in the frige.

Take Care

Vera

How to use your suppositories

Written by Helen , pharmacist

What are suppositories?

Suppositories are solid, bullet-shaped preparations designed for easy insertion into the anus (back passage). They are normally made of a solid vegetable oil that contains the medicine. The suppository dissolves at body temperature and gradually spreads over the lining of the lower bowel (rectum), where it is absorbed into the bloodstream.

Suppositories are used either to provide a local action in the rectum, or as an alternative to oral forms of medicine (eg when someone is continuously feeling sick or is unable to take anything by mouth). The medicine is easily absorbed from the rectum as there is a rich supply of blood vessels in this area.

How to use your suppositories

Go to the toilet and empty your bowels if necessary.

Wash your hands.

Remove any foil or plastic wrapping from the suppository.

Either squat or lie on your side with one leg bent and the other straight.

Gently but firmly push the suppository into the rectum, pointed end first. If necessary moisten the end of the suppository with a little water. Push it in far enough so that it doesn't slip out.

Close your legs and sit or lie still for a few minutes.

Wash your hands again.

Try not to empty your bowels for at least an hour, unless the suppository is a laxative.

Other useful advice

Once in the rectum the suppository will melt and may leak from your rectum. You may find it more comfortable to insert the suppository before going to bed at night rather than during the day, however follow the instructions given by your doctor. If you do insert suppositories during the day, be aware that some suppositories can stain your clothes.

STORAGE: store your suppositories in a cool dark place, but not in the fridge. If they get too warm they may melt and not be firm enough to insert.

Always use the medicine according to the printed label or as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.

Don't give your medicines to anyone else to use, even if they have the same symptoms as you. They may be harmful to other people.

Always keep medicines out of the reach of children.

If you forget to take a dose of your medicine, take the dose as soon as you remember, and then go on as before.

Suppositories are designed only for insertion into the rectum and must not be taken orally. If they are accidentally swallowed, tell your doctor at once.

Do not use your suppositories after the expiry date on the pack.

Vera:

I am glad you corrected the idea of putting suppositories in the

refrigerator. I cannot imagine anyone using one straight from the

refrigerator ever having success!

Barbara