RemedySpot.com

RE: a

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

a,

Your posts have been a blessing to me....you have been so very cheerful and upbeat helping others out where you can with such a positive attitude.......that is wonderful!

Hope your day comes really soon!

Judie

Re: Freedom!!!!!!!!

Hello All,It has been quite a while since I have had the opportunity to write. Recently I took a mini trip to Chicago and for the first time in many, many years... I experienced true freedom.... I fit in an airplane seat and had to tighten the belt... We went to see the Play Mama Mia and I fit in the seat.... we went out to eat and I fit in the chairs and the booths.... for the first time in years, I did not even have to think about it. I was a "Normal" person! Noone stared or looked at me awkwardly and people spoke to me like I was human. I am 10 months post op and have lost 170lbs to date... I have about 75lbs to go... but am "normal" sized by sight to the general public. I had a difficult time accepting my new found "acceptance" by the world at large for quite a while... I am finally enjoying being nothing special or different! Y'all know hwat I mean! It's as if they came out with a vaccine for the Plague, which, while weighing 432lbs... most people treated me like I had it!! For all you pre-opers... it truly is worth it... the freedom to live life.... the quality of life is so different. I walk with a confidence about myself... not snobby... just content.... I Vicki, Age 30.... am content and it is the best feeling in the whole wide world. Good luck and keep fighting for your right to live a great life.Vicki in SacDr. Rabkin9/20/00-170+----------------------------------------------------------------------

• 1 year later...

a, Welcome, though I am sorry you are here. My mother Joyce (71, died 11/5/00) had straitonigral degeneration (as far as we know anyway). She had a slight tremor, but mostly slowness, falling backward, slurred speech, extreme stiffness, and a severe head flex (her most disabling symptom). She developed urinary problems, etc. later on. She had hip surgery due to a fall about a year before she died. She didn't get a lot out of the drugs either.

I think one important thing (I wish my mom had done more) is exercise. Another thing is assisted walking (again, I wish my mom hadn't taken off on her own all of the time). Balance problems are serious and can cause serious problems. My mother wouldn't use any aids unless she absolutely had to. I think ending up in the wheelchair earlier would have helped her prevent her many falls.

As much as I wish my mom had done some thing differently, I realize that she was just trying to preserve as much of her former life as possible. More than anything, enjoy your mother as much as possible--love her. Debbie

thank you debbie, i appreciate your reply. Debbie, what does that mean head flex? and would you mind telling me what it was that actually caused your mothers death? i know these questions are painful and im sorry, im just trying to get all the info i can, but if you cant talk about it i understand. paula

a, Welcome, though I am sorry you are here. My mother Joyce (71, died 11/5/00) had straitonigral degeneration (as far as we know anyway). She had a slight tremor, but mostly slowness, falling backward, slurred speech, extreme stiffness, and a severe head flex (her most disabling symptom). She developed urinary problems, etc. later on. She had hip surgery due to a fall about a year before she died. She didn't get a lot out of the drugs either.

I think one important thing (I wish my mom had done more) is exercise. Another thing is assisted walking (again, I wish my mom hadn't taken off on her own all of the time). Balance problems are serious and can cause serious problems. My mother wouldn't use any aids unless she absolutely had to. I think ending up in the wheelchair earlier would have helped her prevent her many falls.

As much as I wish my mom had done some thing differently, I realize that she was just trying to preserve as much of her former life as possible. More than anything, enjoy your mother as much as possible--love her. DebbieIf you do not wish to belong to shydrager, you may unsubscribe by sending a blank email to shydrager-unsubscribe

a,

Pneumonia and congestive heart failure kills most MSA patients, with sleep

apnea also in the running. Aspiration (getting food or liquid into the

lungs) is a problem. A sleep study can prevent problems in that area as

sleep apnea can be treated. Speech therapy and exercise can help prevent

swallowing problems.

Take care, Bill Werre

patandpaula wrote:

thank you debbie, i appreciate your reply.

Debbie, what does that mean head flex? and would you mind telling me what

it was that actually caused your mothers death? i know these questions

are painful and im sorry, im just trying to get all the info i can, but

if you cant talk about it i understand. paula

a, Welcome, though I am sorry you are here. My mother Joyce (71, died

11/5/00) had straitonigral degeneration (as far as we know anyway). She

had a slight tremor, but mostly slowness, falling backward, slurred speech,

extreme stiffness, and a severe head flex (her most disabling symptom).

She developed urinary problems, etc. later on. She had hip surgery due

to a fall about a year before she died. She didn't get a lot out of the drugs either.

I think one important thing (I wish my mom had done more) is exercise.

Another thing is assisted walking (again, I wish my mom hadn't taken off

on her own all of the time). Balance problems are serious and can cause

serious problems. My mother wouldn't use any aids unless she absolutely

had to. I think ending up in the wheelchair earlier would have helped

her prevent her many falls.

As much as I wish my mom had done some thing differently, I realize that

she was just trying to preserve as much of her former life as possible.

More than anything, enjoy your mother as much as possible--love her. Debbie

If you do not wish to belong to shydrager, you may

unsubscribe by sending a blank email to

shydrager-unsubscribe