RemedySpot.com

scooters

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Does anyone have one of those scooters I see around. Are they light weight enough to put in your car trunk? Do they disassemble? My husband walks with a can but he can't walk the mall. I though he might like a scooter more than a wheel chair, which he used for the first time when we went to the conference in Chicago because the airport was so big.

Dr. Ray

I am looking for a new car, but am waiting to look into the scooters first for fear in wouldn't fit. What type of rebate are you refering to? Should I contact a local parkinson's group to see if I can get one from them.

Gert

First of All, Go to Wal-Mart and have him use one of their scooters. You need to do that to assess that he will be able to use it. Then go shopping. A lot of Insurances won't (it's been my experience) pay for them. Look in the newspaper. I got mine through a donation to the Parkison's Group. It disassembles, but youwill find that it is a pain to do so especially if you go to a lot of stores in a day. I use a ramp that goes into my SUV. There are lifts however, the cheapest I found was $2400.00! The ramp only cost me $500.00. The thing is if you don't use an approveed ramp or lift, you may violate the warrenty. Also, if you've bought a new car in the recent past (within 6 months) you may qualifiy for a rebate from the car company.

If you want some more information, please let me know or call.

Dr. Ray

-- scooters

Does anyone have one of those scooters I see around. Are they light weight enough to put in your car trunk? Do they disassemble? My husband walks with a can but he can't walk the mall. I though he might like a scooter more than a wheel chair, which he used for the first time when we went to the conference in Chicago because the airport was so big. If you do not wish to belong to shydrager, you may unsubscribe by sending a blank email to shydrager-unsubscribe

I am going to jump in here regarding scooters especially if you are

thinking of a new car. If you buy a new van, they will give you a

rebate for a lift for the scooter. I do not know how much that rebate

is now. We got a $700 rebate in 97 and a used Bruno lift for $1200.

installed. I could hook the scooter up to the lift and put it in with

one hand. The scooter gave Jack 6 years of independence he would not

have had without. We went hiking together with the Dog at several parks

and even on old logging roads. He went to the movies, live concerts, to

the mall and peoples houses. I bought a 5' portable ramp to help him

get into various places. The scooter even went on the airplane several

times while we went on trips to Hawaii, San Diego, Canada. It helped us

live a fuller life. Medicare will pay for 80% with a doctors order and

if you have other coverage they will cover the rest. You can buy them

used also if you watch the papers. The first few times out Jack was not

sure he wanted to be seen in it. A pride thing, but after a few times

out and about he saw the possibilities and away we went. Good luck on

this.

Hugs, Judy

Thanks Judy

You advice is helpful and inspiring. We went to Walmart (Thanks DR Ray) yesterday to try out the scooters there. Of course we ran into someone we knew and Mark was fine. I'm glad it happened it broke the ice. So a van is better than a SUV?

Gert

I bought a Bruno scooter a few years ago. It has been

a God-send for us. One discovery in the buying process is

that the take-apart ones are still made up of heavy pieces,

and because there is extra effort involved, they may not be

used as much. If you like the outdoors at all, get a one

piece unit with a bit more power and the ability to go on

grass or trails. At the same time, keep is short enough to

maneuver in the house, as they can be handy there as well.

I like the idea of a portable ramp, which Judy mentioned

here. We do not have that, but I think we might get one.

Great idea. Also, be sure to get the basket for the front.

The ability for someone to go shopping and take something

and put it in :their " basket is an important part of

independence. Also a great place for purse, snacks, or

whatever. And one other thing...be sure the scooter has a

damper switch on the speed controls. has a difficult

time with small movements, so she can turn down the damper

dial, and even pushing the speed lever all the way still

moves the scooter very slow. Or, she can turn it up and the

same kind of lever pressure will move it quite fast. The

electric lift for the scooter works great, easy for one

person to use. Great product. It has performed beyond

expectations. Highly recommend the electric one as opposed

to the manual one

We take ours everywhere. To the malls, grocery shopping, on

walks in the woods or to the pond behind our house. One of

the first times our was with my daughter in the store,

she hit the forward lever instead of the reverse, and pinned

our adult daughter between the clothing rack and the wall.

No one hurt and lots of laughs. I found ours on E-bay,

along with the electric lift. We had just bought a minivan,

and fortunately it fit in there great. But our van was one

of the shorter ones, and wish we had bought a longer one.

Just a bit more room.

And loves the color...Candy Apple Red. Of course, she

also uses a bright yellow wheel chair. was too young

for Medicare, and was not disabled long enough to qualify

either, so even though we had to buy it, it is great!

Good luck with your decision. God Bless.

The rebate is given by the car manufacturer. Each manufacturer is different. Go to www.automobility.daimlerchrysler.com . They should have more information.

If you are looking for a car/vehicle. I would strongly suggest you get a van. The scooters go into and out of these vehicles much more easily than an SUV. Some lifts, etc, will not fit in a SUV. So, Check with your dealership, Check on what type of scooter you want, then see what the dealership is willing to give you in rebate for handicapped accessibility. You may need a doctor's signature. It depends on what the dealership wants.

I beleive this rebate only applies to American Made Cars. But, I'm not 100% sure of that. Check the website first. You may need to do a little exploring but if you need help, let me know. My vehicle is a Chrysler. Therefrore the Chrysler website is what I gave you. You should be able to link to other rebate programs from there.

Remember, also, that this rebate is normally only available on NEW vehicles.

Dr. Ray

-- Re: scooters

Dr. Ray I am looking for a new car, but am waiting to look into the scooters first for fear in wouldn't fit. What type of rebate are you refering to? Should I contact a local parkinson's group to see if I can get one from them. Gert If you do not wish to belong to shydrager, you may unsubscribe by sending a blank email to shydrager-unsubscribe

My manual wheelchair is bright Yellow and my Electric wheelchair is Candy Apple Red. I'm thinking of putting racing flames on mine.

LOL

Dr. Ray

-- RE: Scooters

I bought a Bruno scooter a few years ago. It has beena God-send for us. One discovery in the buying process isthat the take-apart ones are still made up of heavy pieces,and because there is extra effort involved, they may not beused as much. If you like the outdoors at all, get a onepiece unit with a bit more power and the ability to go ongrass or trails. At the same time, keep is short enough tomaneuver in the house, as they can be handy there as well.I like the idea of a portable ramp, which Judy mentionedhere. We do not have that, but I think we might get one.Great idea. Also, be sure to get the basket for the front.The ability for someone to go shopping and take somethingand put it in :their" basket is an important part ofindependence. Also a great place for purse, snacks, orwhatever. And one other thing...be sure the scooter has adamper switch on the speed controls. has a difficulttime with small movements, so she can turn down the damperdial, and even pushing the speed lever all the way stillmoves the scooter very slow. Or, she can turn it up and thesame kind of lever pressure will move it quite fast. Theelectric lift for the scooter works great, easy for oneperson to use. Great product. It has performed beyondexpectations. Highly recommend the electric one as opposedto the manual oneWe take ours everywhere. To the malls, grocery shopping, onwalks in the woods or to the pond behind our house. One ofthe first times our was with my daughter in the store,she hit the forward lever instead of the reverse, and pinnedour adult daughter between the clothing rack and the wall.No one hurt and lots of laughs. I found ours on E-bay,along with the electric lift. We had just bought a minivan,and fortunately it fit in there great. But our van was oneof the shorter ones, and wish we had bought a longer one.Just a bit more room.And loves the color...Candy Apple Red. Of course, shealso uses a bright yellow wheel chair. was too youngfor Medicare, and was not disabled long enough to qualifyeither, so even though we had to buy it, it is great!Good luck with your decision. God Bless.If you do not wish to belong to shydrager, you may unsubscribe by sending a blank email to shydrager-unsubscribe

YES YES YES

-- Re: scooters

Thanks Judy You advice is helpful and inspiring. We went to Walmart (Thanks DR Ray) yesterday to try out the scooters there. Of course we ran into someone we knew and Mark was fine. I'm glad it happened it broke the ice. So a van is better than a SUV? Gert If you do not wish to belong to shydrager, you may unsubscribe by sending a blank email to shydrager-unsubscribe

Gert,

SUV's tend to be very high off the ground and therefore hard to get into.

Minivans tend to be lower, especially the Chrysler products. Full size

vans may be harder to get into than minivans. It is easy to find lifts for

minivans - I do not know about SUV's. We had a 92 Plymouth Caravan which

was just right for Charlotte. Always best to see how the patient can get

in and out before buying. Remember that as MSA progresses, it will get harder

to get them in and out.

Take care, Bill Werre

==================================

GFKN3790@... wrote:

Thanks Judy

You advice is helpful and inspiring. We went to Walmart (Thanks DR Ray)

yesterday to try out the scooters there. Of course we ran into someone we

knew and Mark was fine. I'm glad it happened it broke the ice. So a van

is better than a SUV?

Gert

Thanks everyone for your help with scooters and cars. Mark and I went looking at vans today and one of the dealers suggested we go to the van conversion place. We did We saw all the possible things they can do to a van, also we looked at scooters. Marks brother manages a Chrysler dealership so I think we'll get a Town and Country Limited. Gert