RemedySpot.com

muscle spasams

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I know some of you have talked about muscle spasms, does anyone get ones like this? Little ones in strange places, yesterday, I had some in my arms, but little spasms, and deep I would rub the area hard, that seemed to help for a few minutes, but they would come back, not bad ones either. anyway if I make sense to anyone, I am just curious if this is " normal " for us too? Marla

--

Guest guest

Marla, I get them all the time. And they are all over the place, from my eyes to my legs. It seems that once they start they go on all day, no matter what I do. My neuro put me on some muscle relaxers to try and help with them. It does sometimes. ChristyMarla Bramer wrote: I know some of you have talked about muscle spasms, does anyone get ones like this? Little ones in strange places, yesterday, I had some in my arms, but little spasms, and deep I would rub the area hard, that seemed to help for a

few minutes, but they would come back, not bad ones either. anyway if I make sense to anyone, I am just curious if this is "normal" for us too? Marla --

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

I have a lot of muscle cramps mostly after I stop taking the prednisone. I have them really bad in my calf, foot, toes, chest and back if I start to stretch and I can't seem to get them out until they finally release on their on. I think the doctor said my electrolytes were off and needed to take potassium but that doesn't seem to help when I first come of the prednisone. They are really painful and leave me feeling sore in those spots.

Guest guest

Shauna, that makes perfect sense. What happens when we are on prednisone is that it tells the adrenals to stop producing cortisol-- our bodies own form of cortisone. This is a hormone released for pain and the fight/flight reaction. The adrenals control heartbeat, body temperature, and are primary for physical and mental protection-- if your body perceives a threat, then the adrenals kick in, ramp up the heart rate, and you are "out of there." We produce 15mg of cortisol a day under normal circumstances.

When we end up on 60-80mg of prednisone or solu-medrol, the adrenals stop producing cortisol, and allow the medication to take over. You end up with that wonderful feeling of being incredibly energized, but with the psychosis of not "going anywhere" or "non-directed energy." Crazy making for sure.

When we start to taper off the steroids, our adrenals have to be "retrained" to make cortisol. Your body aches, it's gotten used to the high dosage simulation of "feel good" chemicals, so each step down is nasty. Not to mention that until our adrenals take over, you have that feeling of rapid heartbeats, can't handle hot or cold temperature extremes and such. Also, the adrenals signal your pituatary gland, the hypothalmus and the thyroid to do what they do-- so all your hormones have gone on vacation-- but not to a party... So you have all the hormonal rebalancing that needs to happen.

Under no circumstances do you want to taper off steroids without supervision-- to stop them without tapering will put you into adrenal crisis-- and can kill you-- the problem primarily will be the heartbeat becomes irregular.

As for the whole body spasms, and the electrolyte imbalances, this is a huge signal that you have some dehydration going on. This is a great time to invest in Gatorade or Propel fitness drinks. The replenish the electrolytes. Also, a good Fruit Smoothie with banana's and oranges and berries and soy milk (I like the Vanilla) and yoghurt with active culture- makes for a wonderful balancer. Add a bit of Whey protein powder and you've got a meal in itself.

It is the calcium/magnesium, and the potassium that are so important to getting your electrolytes back in order. Chicken broth is also good-- as it brings the sodium back into line. A simple cup of broth or bowl of soup--hey, just what mom would have told ya...

Take care,

Tracie

NS Co-owner/moderator

Re:muscle spasams

I have a lot of muscle cramps mostly after I stop taking the prednisone. I have them really bad in my calf, foot, toes, chest and back if I start to stretch and I can't seem to get them out until they finally release on their on. I think the doctor said my electrolytes were off and needed to take potassium but that doesn't seem to help when I first come of the prednisone. They are really painful and leave me feeling sore in those spots.

Guest guest

Marla,

The ones in my left leg are the worst but I do get them all over. I use

Baclofen 10 mg, three times a day. It does help. Someone wrote they

are on Flexeril. It worked for me but gave me a horrible headache.

Hope this helps.

Terri G.

>

> I know some of you have talked about muscle spasms, does anyone get

ones

> like this? Little ones in strange places, yesterday, I had some in my

arms,

> but little spasms, and deep I would rub the area hard, that seemed to

help

> for a few minutes, but they would come back, not bad ones either.

anyway if

> I make sense to anyone, I am just curious if this is " normal " for us

too?

> Marla

>

> --

>

Guest guest

I am one of the ones on Flexeril, and it gives me a terrible headache, too. I didn't think it was coming from that until you said it did it to you, too. It helps with the muscle tightness and leg cramps, so I would rather keep it, but I will call my doctor about it. "sigh" Christymosaicgirl1 wrote: Marla,The ones in my left leg are the worst but I do get them all over. I useBaclofen 10 mg, three times a day. It does help. Someone wrote theyare on Flexeril. It worked for me

but gave me a horrible headache.Hope this helps.Terri G.>> I know some of you have talked about muscle spasms, does anyone getones> like this? Little ones in strange places, yesterday, I had some in myarms,> but little spasms, and deep I would rub the area hard, that seemed tohelp> for a few minutes, but they would come back, not bad ones either.anyway if> I make sense to anyone, I am just curious if this is "normal" for ustoo?> Marla>> -->

Guest guest

I've taken Flexeril for more than 25 years now, and have no problems with headaches from it. If I don't take it, that's when I get the headache. For me, I think the headaches are actually more from the muscle tightness and rigidity in my neck and shoulders from multiple work injuries and a couple of auto accidents.

Sincerely,

Tracie

Re: Re: muscle spasams

I am one of the ones on Flexeril, and it gives me a terrible headache, too. I didn't think it was coming from that until you said it did it to you, too. It helps with the muscle tightness and leg cramps, so I would rather keep it, but I will call my doctor about it. "sigh"

Christymosaicgirl1 wrote:

Marla,The ones in my left leg are the worst but I do get them all over. I useBaclofen 10 mg, three times a day. It does help. Someone wrote theyare on Flexeril. It worked for me but gave me a horrible headache.Hope this helps.Terri G.>> I know some of you have talked about muscle spasms, does anyone getones> like this? Little ones in strange places, yesterday, I had some in myarms,> but little spasms, and deep I would rub the area hard, that seemed tohelp> for a few minutes, but they would come back, not bad ones either.anyway if> I make sense to anyone, I am just curious if this is "normal" for ustoo?>

Marla>> -->

Guest guest

I take Baclofen and it really helps me. My muscles used to feel like they were contracted or flexed and stayed that way. They hurt so much. The baclofen completely eliminated it. I take 10mg three times a day. I haven't noticed any side effects from it. Cathymosaicgirl1 wrote: Marla,The ones in my left leg are the worst but I do get them all over. I useBaclofen 10 mg, three times a day. It does help. Someone wrote theyare on Flexeril. It worked for me but gave me a

horrible headache.Hope this helps.Terri G.>> I know some of you have talked about muscle spasms, does anyone getones> like this? Little ones in strange places, yesterday, I had some in myarms,> but little spasms, and deep I would rub the area hard, that seemed tohelp> for a few minutes, but they would come back, not bad ones either.anyway if> I make sense to anyone, I am just curious if this is "normal" for ustoo?> Marla>> -->

Guest guest

Have you tried Baclofen? It is what I take for muscle tighness and cramps and it works great with no noticed side effects for me. Hope you find something soon that works well for you without side effects! Have a great day. Cathychristina cates wrote: I am one of the ones on Flexeril, and it gives me a terrible headache, too. I didn't think it was coming from that until you said it did it to you, too. It helps with the muscle tightness and leg cramps, so I would rather keep it, but I

will call my doctor about it. "sigh" Christymosaicgirl1 <mosaicgirl1 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com> wrote: Marla,The ones in my left leg are the worst but I do get them all over. I useBaclofen 10 mg, three times a day. It does help. Someone wrote theyare on Flexeril. It worked for me but gave me a horrible headache.Hope this helps.Terri G.>> I know some of you have talked about muscle spasms, does anyone getones> like this? Little ones in strange places, yesterday, I had some in myarms,> but little spasms, and deep I would rub the area hard, that seemed tohelp> for a few minutes, but they would come back, not

bad ones either.anyway if> I make sense to anyone, I am just curious if this is "normal" for ustoo?> Marla>> -->

Guest guest

Christy,

Ask about the baclofen - 10mg three times a day.

Terri G.

> >

> > I know some of you have talked about muscle spasms, does anyone get

> ones

> > like this? Little ones in strange places, yesterday, I had some in

my

> arms,

> > but little spasms, and deep I would rub the area hard, that seemed

to

> help

> > for a few minutes, but they would come back, not bad ones either.

> anyway if

> > I make sense to anyone, I am just curious if this is " normal " for us

> too?

> > Marla

> >

> > --

> >

>