RemedySpot.com

RE: Hepatitis A Question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Good question Josh, I just have never herd

of inoculations for hepatitis for farm workers.

Sincerely,

Rene Quintana

Del Norte, California

Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 10:15

AM

Subject: [ ]

Hepatitis A Question

Hello Again Everyone,

I recently received the following question from a doctor and I was

hoping that some of you could assist me in answering it thanks.

" I have many years of experience as a public health medical

epidemiologist, and recently have begun working with a consultant

laboratory providing services nationally and in Mexico and central America as well.

Some clients have shown some interest in having hepatitis A vaccination

programs for agricultural workers. Do you know of any agencies, companies, or

other organizations that have set up or maintained such programs? Can you

provide me with contact references to

them? Thanks for your assistance. "

--

Josh Shepherd

National Center For Farmworker Health

Resource Center Manager

(512) 312-5463

Guest guest

There is a Hepatitis A vaccine that prevents hep a but you need 2 shots

separated by 6-12 or 6-18 months depending on which vaccine your using and it is

expensive so the first challenge is money. Bruce

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Mon 3/12/2007 12:33 PM

Cc:

Subject: RE: [ ] Hepatitis A Question

Good question Josh, I just have never herd of inoculations for hepatitis for

farm workers.

Sincerely,

Rene Quintana

Del Norte, California

_____

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of Josh Shepherd

Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 10:15 AM

Subject: [ ] Hepatitis A Question

Hello Again Everyone,

" I have many years of experience as a public health medical epidemiologist, and

recently have begun working with a consultant

laboratory providing services nationally and in Mexico and central America as

well. Some clients have shown some interest in having hepatitis A vaccination

--

Josh Shepherd

Resource Center Manager

(512) 312-5463

Guest guest

Good afternoon,

I am a public health nurse in a Western NY rural county. Our NYS DOH has established an Adult Migrant Immunization program within their broader immunization program, whereby community health centers, physicians offices, and local health departments can receive free adult vaccines for their migrant population. Tetanus, MMR (measles, mumps rubella), Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Twinrix (Hep A/B combined), Flu, Pneumococcal, and Varicella are the vaccines available from NYS DOH. Our county health department has teamed up with our community health center that serves the migrant population and we accompany their outreach workers to the camps and dwellings to provide these vaccines. We also administer the VFC (Vaccine for Children) vaccines for young people 18 years and under. The children's vaccines are given in the health center during their well child visits, but we can also accommodate them at the health department, as well. The contact person for the NYS DOH Migrant Immunization Program is Virginia Lewkowitz at 518-474-1944.

Deborah Restivo, PHN

Deborah RestivoPublic Health Nurse - Public HealthOrleans County14012 Route 31 WestAlbion, NY 14411Phone: (585) 589-2763 ext 2763 Fax: (585) 589-6647Website: http://www.orleansny.comEmail: drestivo@...

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Rene J. QuintanaSent: Monday, March 12, 2007 12:33 PM Subject: RE: [ ] Hepatitis A Question

Good question Josh, I just have never herd of inoculations for hepatitis for farm workers.

Sincerely,

Rene Quintana

Del Norte, California

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Josh ShepherdSent: Monday, March 12, 2007 10:15 AM Subject: [ ] Hepatitis A Question

Hello Again Everyone,I recently received the following question from a doctor and I was hoping that some of you could assist me in answering it thanks."I have many years of experience as a public health medical epidemiologist, and recently have begun working with a consultantlaboratory providing services nationally and in Mexico and central America as well. Some clients have shown some interest in having hepatitis A vaccination programs for agricultural workers. Do you know of any agencies, companies, or other organizations that have set up or maintained such programs? Can you provide me with contact references tothem? Thanks for your assistance."-- Josh ShepherdNational Center For Farmworker HealthResource Center Manager(512) 312-5463

Guest guest

as i understand it from our CDC project officer, they are not recommending Hep A vaccination for persons coming from Mexico. there is the presumption of exposure in an endemic region. Del

-----Original Message-----From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Gould,BruceSent: Monday, March 12, 2007 12:32 PM ; Subject: RE: [ ] Hepatitis A Question

There is a Hepatitis A vaccine that prevents hep a but you need 2 shots separated by 6-12 or 6-18 months depending on which vaccine your using and it is expensive so the first challenge is money. Bruce -----Original Message----- From: on behalf of Rene J. Quintana Sent: Mon 3/12/2007 12:33 PM Cc: Subject: RE: [ ] Hepatitis A Question Good question Josh, I just have never herd of inoculations for hepatitis for farm workers. Sincerely, Rene Quintana Del Norte, California _____ From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Josh Shepherd Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 10:15 AM Subject: [ ] Hepatitis A Question Hello Again Everyone, I recently received the following question from a doctor and I was hoping that some of you could assist me in answering it thanks. "I have many years of experience as a public health medical epidemiologist, and recently have begun working with a consultant laboratory providing services nationally and in Mexico and central America as well. Some clients have shown some interest in having hepatitis A vaccination programs for agricultural workers. Do you know of any agencies, companies, or other organizations that have set up or maintained such programs? Can you provide me with contact references to them? Thanks for your assistance." -- Josh Shepherd National Center For Farmworker Health Resource Center Manager (512) 312-5463

Guest guest

I believe there is a false positive issue

here, from what I understand the inoculation in Mexico

makes people test positive for the Hep here in the United States.

Rene Quintana

Del Norte

Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 2:48

PM

Subject: RE:

[ ] Hepatitis A Question

as i understand it from our CDC project

officer, they are not recommending Hep A vaccination for persons coming from Mexico. there

is the presumption of exposure in an endemic region. Del

[mailto: ]

On Behalf Of Gould,Bruce

Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 12:32

PM

;

Subject: RE: [ ]

Hepatitis A Question

There is a Hepatitis A vaccine that prevents hep a but

you need 2 shots separated by 6-12 or 6-18 months depending on which vaccine

your using and it is expensive so the first challenge is money. Bruce

on behalf of Rene J. Quintana

Cc:

farm workers.

Sincerely,

Rene Quintana

Del Norte, California

_____

On Behalf Of Josh Shepherd

Hello Again Everyone,

laboratory providing services nationally and in Mexico and central America as well.

Some clients have shown some interest in having hepatitis A vaccination

--

Josh Shepherd

National Center

For Farmworker Health

Resource Center

Manager

(512) 312-5463

Guest guest

Don’t

believe that Mexico immunizes for hep A so I don’t think that false

positives are an issue. Would suggest that those who are interested consult CDC

web. del

On Behalf Of Rene J. Quintana

Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 4:31

PM

To:

Subject: RE:

[ ] Hepatitis A Question

I believe there is a

false positive issue here, from what I understand the inoculation in Mexico

makes people test positive for the Hep here in the United States.

Rene Quintana

Del Norte

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of Deliana

Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 2:48

PM

Hepatitis A Question

as i understand it from

our CDC project officer, they are not recommending Hep A vaccination for

persons coming from Mexico. there is the presumption of

exposure in an endemic region. Del

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of Gould,Bruce

Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 12:32

PM

;

Hepatitis A Question

There is a Hepatitis A vaccine that prevents hep a but

you need 2 shots separated by 6-12 or 6-18 months depending on which vaccine

your using and it is expensive so the first challenge is money. Bruce

on behalf of Rene J. Quintana

Cc:

farm workers.

Sincerely,

Rene Quintana

Del Norte, California

_____

On Behalf Of Josh Shepherd

Hello Again Everyone,

laboratory providing services nationally and in Mexico

and central America as well. Some clients have shown some interest in having

hepatitis A vaccination programs for agricultural workers. Do you know of any

agencies, companies, or other organizations that have set up or maintained such

programs? Can you provide me with contact references to

--

Josh Shepherd

Resource Center Manager

(512) 312-5463

Guest guest

Hi,

In answer to your e-mail, I know of some agencies that work with Migrant population, and general population that might be able to help you! I am not sure if they have worked with people with Hepatitis A, but they run the Epidimiology, communicable deseases part. Here in Sullivan County we have Sullivan County Public Health, the Department of Epidimiology, Supervisory Nurse is Tom Maloney, you can reach him at 845-292-0100 ext. 1 or you can call Community Regional Medical Center, Hospital, at 845-794-3300, Dr. Good's Office or Department of Epidimiology, and HIV.

-----Original Message-----From: [mailto: ]On Behalf Of Josh ShepherdSent: Monday, March 12, 2007 12:15 PM Subject: [ ] Hepatitis A Question

Hello Again Everyone,I recently received the following question from a doctor and I was hoping that some of you could assist me in answering it thanks."I have many years of experience as a public health medical epidemiologist, and recently have begun working with a consultantlaboratory providing services nationally and in Mexico and central America as well. Some clients have shown some interest in having hepatitis A vaccination programs for agricultural workers. Do you know of any agencies, companies, or other organizations that have set up or maintained such programs? Can you provide me with contact references tothem? Thanks for your assistance."-- Josh ShepherdNational Center For Farmworker HealthResource Center Manager(512) 312-5463

Confidentiality Notice: This electronic message transmission is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information from Hudson River Community Health which may be confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us immediately by calling (914)734-8800 or by electronic mail at helpdesk@... and delete or destroy all copies of this transmission.

Guest guest

Regarding Hep. A positivity, people who have been either vaccinated against Hep. A or have had a clinical or sub-clinical case of Hep. A, would probably test positive if you were to screen them for antibodies.

Whether or not those with positive screens had protective levels of antibodies, would be the question. Having contracted Hep. A, generally renders one immune for a very long time, if not for a lifetime.

I would recommend that those interested in a potential vaccination program contact the Hepatitis Branch at CDC to discuss the cost effectiveness of screening for Hep.A antibodies in a population that is known to have a high prevalence of the disease vs. just vaccinating everyone who is in the group of interest.

Narda Tolentino, Oregon

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "Rene J. Quintana" <rquintana@...>

I believe there is a false positive issue here, from what I understand the inoculation in Mexico makes people test positive for the Hep here in the United States.

Rene Quintana

Del Norte

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Deliana Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 2:48 PM Subject: RE: [ ] Hepatitis A Question

as i understand it from our CDC project officer, they are not recommending Hep A vaccination for persons coming from Mexico. there is the presumption of exposure in an endemic region. Del

-----Original Message-----From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Gould,BruceSent: Monday, March 12, 2007 12:32 PM ; Subject: RE: [ ] Hepatitis A Question

There is a Hepatitis A vaccine that prevents hep a but you need 2 shots separated by 6-12 or 6-18 months depending on which vaccine your using and it is expensive so the first challenge is money. Bruce -----Original Message----- From: on behalf of Rene J. Quintana Sent: Mon 3/12/2007 12:33 PM Cc: Subject: RE: [ ] Hepatitis A Question Good question Josh, I just have never herd of inoculations for hepatitis for farm workers. Sincerely, Rene Quintana Del Norte, California _____ From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Josh Shepherd Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 10:15 AM Subject: [ ] Hepatitis A Question Hello Again Everyone, I recently received the following question from a doctor and I was hoping that some of you could assist me in answering it thanks. "I have many years of experience as a public health medical epidemiologist, and recently have begun working with a consultant laboratory providing services nationally and in Mexico and central America as well. Some clients have shown some interest in having hepatitis A vaccination programs for agricultural workers. Do you

know of any agencies, companies, or other organizations that have set up or maintained such programs? Can you provide me with contact references to them? Thanks for your assistance." -- Josh Shepherd National Center For Farmworker Health Resource Center Manager (512) 312-5463

Guest guest

Hello,

MCN’s HepTalk Project, which works with 27 clinics serving migrant populations around issues of hepatitis prevention and awareness, released this position paper in May 2005: “Hepatitis Screening, Immunization and Testing for Mobile Populations and Immigrants from Mexico, Central and South America, and the Caribbean.” Below is an excerpt on Hepatitis A vaccination. The whole position paper can be accessed at the MCN website at http://www.migrantclinician.org/excellence/hepatitis.

Hepatitis A vaccination (a two-shot series, with the second shot at 6-12 months after the first) is recommended for persons with chronic liver disease (including chronic alcoholism), men who have sex with men, and persons who work with hepatitis virus in a laboratory setting. These recommendations apply to migrant and immigrant populations in the same way as to all other groups.

Hepatitis A vaccination is also recommended for “persons traveling to or working in countries that have high or intermediate endemicity of hepatitis A.”iii This description might include many migrant workers who travel between Mexico (or Central or South America or the Caribbean) and the US. However, because hepatitis A is endemic in their countries of origin, MCN recommends that clinicians serving migrant and mobile populations assume that adolescents and adults who spent significant portions of their lives in Mexico, Central or South America, or the Caribbean have been exposed and developed immunity to hepatitis A. These adults should not be tested or immunized for hepatitis A, even if they are traveling to Mexico, Central or South America, unless they meet other standard hepatitis A risk criteria (listed above).

Though Hep A vaccines are not necessary for adult clients who grew up in Mexico and Central America, unless they have some other risk factors, clients who request vaccinations will not be harmed if they receive the vaccination but already have immunity.

In addition, see the HepTalk Listserv Archives (also accessed via the MCN website) May/June 2006 for information on two programs working with immunizations and migrant populations, Project Salud and Chester County PA, and the NY State DOH program, NYS Department of Health Migrant and Seasonal Farmworker Immunization Project Initiative already mentioned here by Deborah Restivo.

Kath

--

Kath M.

HepTalk Project

dempander@...

On 3/16/07 12:46 PM, " Zaida Chasi " <zchasi@...> wrote:

Hi,

In answer to your e-mail, I know of some agencies that work with Migrant population, and general population that might be able to help you! I am not sure if they have worked with people with Hepatitis A, but they run the Epidimiology, communicable deseases part. Here in Sullivan County we have Sullivan County Public Health, the Department of Epidimiology, Supervisory Nurse is Tom Maloney, you can reach him at 845-292-0100 ext. 1 or you can call Community Regional Medical Center, Hospital, at 845-794-3300, Dr. Good's Office or Department of Epidimiology, and HIV.

Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 12:15 PM

Hello Again Everyone,

" I have many years of experience as a public health medical epidemiologist, and recently have begun working with a consultant

laboratory providing services nationally and in Mexico and central America as well. Some clients have shown some interest in having hepatitis A vaccination programs for agricultural workers. Do you know of any agencies, companies, or other organizations that have set up or maintained such programs? Can you provide me with contact references to