RemedySpot.com

Valtrex and antifungal treatment worsening behavior

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi,

I am a mother of a 12 year old autistic boy. We have a DAN doc and began giving him Valtrex with Nystatin almost three months ago because I asked for it.. His fits (where he runs, jumps and ground pounds, cries, screams, tries to scratch you) have increased instead of improving. We had him on Ketoconazole for the first two weeks (no apparent die-off), but since we cannot get bloodwork from him (my son is less than 70 pounds yet is strong as an ox- he struggles so hard even with 4 adults so that you cannot do bloodwork). So, since the doc has to do bloodwork periodically when giving Ketoconazole, she prescribed Nystatin. I reduced his dosage to see if that might help and it didn't. Because of his fits, I stopped giving him the medication three days ago, and he is still having these extended outbursts.

I had such hope for this antiviral treatment , but it always seems like everything we try just makes him worse. He is so sensitive to everything. I realize that sometimes behavior gets worse before it gets better but when does the better come?

Have any of you experienced this type of response with this treatment? Have any of you had success? I know that Nystatin is not the antifungal of choice for this antiviral therapy, but it was the only one we could get under these circumstances.

Also, has anyone had success in drawing blood from a difficult child? There are several tests that could be helpful if we could only do them.

Thank you so much.

Rhonda

Guest guest

Try the protocol of Stop Calling is Autism, I do for 2 month 1/2 with a twin boys and the changes is a blessing2012/6/24 Rhonda Raiden

Hi,

I am a mother of a 12 year old autistic boy. We have a DAN doc and began giving him Valtrex with Nystatin almost three months ago because I asked for it.. His fits (where he runs, jumps and ground pounds, cries, screams, tries to scratch you)  have increased instead of improving. We had him on Ketoconazole for the first two weeks (no apparent die-off), but since we cannot get bloodwork from him (my son is less than 70 pounds yet is strong as an ox- he struggles so hard even with 4 adults so that  you cannot do bloodwork). So, since the doc has to do bloodwork periodically when giving Ketoconazole, she prescribed Nystatin. I reduced his dosage to see if that might help and it didn't.  Because of his fits, I stopped giving him the medication three days ago, and he is still having  these extended outbursts.

I had such hope for this antiviral treatment , but it always seems like everything we try just makes him worse. He is so sensitive to everything.  I realize that sometimes behavior gets worse before it gets better but when does the better come?

Have any of you experienced this type of response with this treatment? Have any of you had success?  I know that Nystatin is not the antifungal of choice for this antiviral therapy, but it was the only one we could get under these circumstances.

Also, has anyone had success in drawing blood from a difficult child? There are several tests that could be helpful if we could only do them.

Thank you so much.

Rhonda

-- Anita Directora de Ventas IndependienteEst San F16 Calle 8Carolina, PR 00985Teléfono www.marykay.com/anitarodriguez

Guest guest

Try the protocol of Stop Calling is Autism, I do for 2 month 1/2 with a twin boys and the changes is a blessing2012/6/24 Rhonda Raiden

Hi,

I am a mother of a 12 year old autistic boy. We have a DAN doc and began giving him Valtrex with Nystatin almost three months ago because I asked for it.. His fits (where he runs, jumps and ground pounds, cries, screams, tries to scratch you)  have increased instead of improving. We had him on Ketoconazole for the first two weeks (no apparent die-off), but since we cannot get bloodwork from him (my son is less than 70 pounds yet is strong as an ox- he struggles so hard even with 4 adults so that  you cannot do bloodwork). So, since the doc has to do bloodwork periodically when giving Ketoconazole, she prescribed Nystatin. I reduced his dosage to see if that might help and it didn't.  Because of his fits, I stopped giving him the medication three days ago, and he is still having  these extended outbursts.

I had such hope for this antiviral treatment , but it always seems like everything we try just makes him worse. He is so sensitive to everything.  I realize that sometimes behavior gets worse before it gets better but when does the better come?

Have any of you experienced this type of response with this treatment? Have any of you had success?  I know that Nystatin is not the antifungal of choice for this antiviral therapy, but it was the only one we could get under these circumstances.

Thank you so much.

Rhonda

-- Anita Directora de Ventas IndependienteEst San F16 Calle 8Carolina, PR 00985Teléfono www.marykay.com/anitarodriguez

Guest guest

Hi Anita,

Thanks for your response. I looked over the SCIA site. It sounds like the biomedical treatments that most Dan doctors might offer.

If you don't mind, could you tell me specifically what you have been giving your sons? Thank you so much for your help.

Rhonda

To: mb12valtrex Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2012 2:23 PMSubject: Re: Valtrex and antifungal treatment worsening behavior

Try the protocol of Stop Calling is Autism, I do for 2 month 1/2 with a twin boys and the changes is a blessing

2012/6/24 Rhonda Raiden

Hi,

I am a mother of a 12 year old autistic boy. We have a DAN doc and began giving him Valtrex with Nystatin almost three months ago because I asked for it.. His fits (where he runs, jumps and ground pounds, cries, screams, tries to scratch you) have increased instead of improving. We had him on Ketoconazole for the first two weeks (no apparent die-off), but since we cannot get bloodwork from him (my son is less than 70 pounds yet is strong as an ox- he struggles so hard even with 4 adults so that you cannot do bloodwork). So, since the doc has to do bloodwork periodically when giving Ketoconazole, she prescribed Nystatin. I reduced his dosage to see if that might help and it didn't. Because of his fits, I stopped giving him the medication three days ago, and he is still having these extended outbursts.

I had such hope for this antiviral treatment , but it always seems like everything we try just makes him worse. He is so sensitive to everything. I realize that sometimes behavior gets worse before it gets better but when does the better come?

Have any of you experienced this type of response with this treatment? Have any of you had success? I know that Nystatin is not the antifungal of choice for this antiviral therapy, but it was the only one we could get under these circumstances.

Thank you so much.

Rhonda

Guest guest

Hi Anita,

Thanks for your response. I looked over the SCIA site. It sounds like the biomedical treatments that most Dan doctors might offer.

If you don't mind, could you tell me specifically what you have been giving your sons? Thank you so much for your help.

Rhonda

To: mb12valtrex Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2012 2:23 PMSubject: Re: Valtrex and antifungal treatment worsening behavior

Try the protocol of Stop Calling is Autism, I do for 2 month 1/2 with a twin boys and the changes is a blessing

2012/6/24 Rhonda Raiden

Hi,

Thank you so much.

Rhonda

Guest guest

Hi ,

I haven't tried Olive Leaf Extract. I will certainly give it a try. Maybe it will give him some relief.

Thank you.

Rhonda

To: mb12valtrex Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2012 2:34 PMSubject: Re: Valtrex and antifungal treatment worsening behavior

Yes,

Our son is also circus strong and just shy of 70 lbs. He knocked over 2 adults and the bloodwork chaiir two years ago when trying to get blood. We implemented a desensitization program over 6 mos playing dr with the fake ( needless) syringes, the latex gloves and the latex pressure bands. We kept them in a special box with candy & made the game highly reinforcing. I would talk about how brave he was and how important it would be to do the real thing ( his comorehension is high). When the time came we got his grandparents- the biggest reinforcers of all - to come. We told him they were coming to help & he would make them proud. This succeeeded. Now they must visit for every blood draw- haha!

If you haven't tried Olive Leaf Extract for the tantrums and meltdowns you might. Start low & slow. Work up. Just a suggestion but it works well for our child for tantrums, meltdowns... Our son is not on a systemic antifungal at this time but still responding nicely to valtrex.

I hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone

Hi,

Thank you so much.

Rhonda

TODAY(Beta) •

Guest guest

Hi ,

I haven't tried Olive Leaf Extract. I will certainly give it a try. Maybe it will give him some relief.

Thank you.

Rhonda

To: mb12valtrex Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2012 2:34 PMSubject: Re: Valtrex and antifungal treatment worsening behavior

Yes,

Our son is also circus strong and just shy of 70 lbs. He knocked over 2 adults and the bloodwork chaiir two years ago when trying to get blood. We implemented a desensitization program over 6 mos playing dr with the fake ( needless) syringes, the latex gloves and the latex pressure bands. We kept them in a special box with candy & made the game highly reinforcing. I would talk about how brave he was and how important it would be to do the real thing ( his comorehension is high). When the time came we got his grandparents- the biggest reinforcers of all - to come. We told him they were coming to help & he would make them proud. This succeeeded. Now they must visit for every blood draw- haha!

If you haven't tried Olive Leaf Extract for the tantrums and meltdowns you might. Start low & slow. Work up. Just a suggestion but it works well for our child for tantrums, meltdowns... Our son is not on a systemic antifungal at this time but still responding nicely to valtrex.

I hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone

Hi,

Thank you so much.

Rhonda

TODAY(Beta) •

Guest guest

Hi everyone,

This thread is very interesting. Genevieve, I think my son has got either

sensory issue or pain in his feet as he doesn't want to sit on the floor for

therapy session with me and keeps rubbing his feet like he has some neuropathy

and also limps during the day. All this started after fluconazole and we

concluded it was pandas/pans but now I am not so sure about pandas as I feel

like my son's main issue is yeast and antifungals cause more problems for him,

problems that mimic pandas/pans.

I just wanted to give a little background about my son. We started nystatin in

october 2011 with no apparent die off and some reduction in silly behavior. Then

we started gcmaf therapy which showed initial improvement but then my son had

sudden onset of tantrums and some sensory issues. We started vancomycin for

presumed clostridia which helped a bit but then his yeast was uncontrolled on

nystatin and he was not tolerating nystatin well. So we switched to fluconazole

in january this year. We may be saw a little improvement in yeast behavior but

not much. In february, my son had a upper respiratory infection with a negative

throat culture. He was still on diflucan and was getting more and more sensory

issues everyday. Then one day he came back from school and was having difficulty

walking. Then we were hit with mood swings, anxiety, sleep disturbance, walking

on heels, frequent urination and handwriting issues. We diagnosed him with pans

as our strep titers were negative. Zithromax may have helped him but I am not

sure. Advil helped but we couldn't continue it because of his acid reflux. We

tried alinia for possible parasites and anaerobes which didn't help at all and

actually made things worse. We stopped alinia but his symptoms continued. Then I

stopped diflucan also and all of a sudden, he had a few amazing days. When I

restarted diflucan, the ocd with lips returned and he started some kind of tic

with his lips again.

I explained all this as now I have a feeling that my son is dealing with

horrible yeast which is confirmed by oat also. I wonder if he has pans or side

effect of fluconazole? I have a very strong feeling that diflucan causes sensory

issues as he also seems to have a lot of discomfort in his feet. He is still

walking odd and doesn't enjoy coloring or writing and seems to have pain in his

fingers when he holds crayon or pencil. It is very hard for me to just keep

going with zithromax when I don't even see a phenomenal difference in his

symptoms and I feel like we just keep giving him more yeast issues from

zithromax and then he cannot tolerate antifungals. I am seriously thinking of

stopping all the prescription meds and see what results I get from probiotics. I

started him on custom probiotics today and will see how things go. My plan was

to try valtrex next since he did well on gcmaf earlier and definitely has viral

issues. But I am concerned that he will have more yeast flares and then he will

not be able to handle antifungals again.

I just wonder if may be some of the kids are getting more immune dysregulation

and sensory issues from antifungals and we make it worse by treating with

antibiotics which starts a vicious circle as then we have to deal with a crazier

yeast beast. I will have to just observe my kid in the next few weeks to see

what I am dealing with . We have him on zithromax prophylaxis once a week but I

think that even one dose of augmentin or zithromax is enough to cause dysbiosis.

This is just a theory that I have regarding diflucan. From personal experience,

I know that when I took it several yrs ago, diflucan made me depressed, thirsty

all the time, had frequent urination and multiple BMs, and I couldn't do much

during those days. Some may call it die off but I wonder if those are side

effects and indicate that we need to switch to another antifungal.

I will appreciate any input that you guys may have.

Thanks

is

> >

> > Hi,

> >  

> > I am a mother of a 12 year old autistic boy. We have a DAN doc and began

giving him Valtrex with Nystatin almost three months ago because I asked for

it.. His fits (where he runs, jumps and ground pounds, cries, screams, tries to

scratch you)  have increased instead of improving. We had him on Ketoconazole

for the first two weeks (no apparent die-off), but since we cannot get bloodwork

from him (my son is less than 70 pounds yet is strong as an ox- he struggles so

hard even with 4 adults so that  you cannot do bloodwork). So, since the doc has

to do bloodwork periodically when giving Ketoconazole, she prescribed Nystatin.

I reduced his dosage to see if that might help and it didn't.  Because of his

fits, I stopped giving him the medication three days ago, and he is still

having  these extended outbursts.

> >  

> > I had such hope for this antiviral treatment , but it always seems like

everything we try just makes him worse. He is so sensitive to everything.  I

realize that sometimes behavior gets worse before it gets better but when does

the better come?

> >  

> > Have any of you experienced this type of response with this treatment? Have

any of you had success?  I know that Nystatin is not the antifungal of choice

for this antiviral therapy, but it was the only one we could get under these

circumstances.

> >  

> > Also, has anyone had success in drawing blood from a difficult child? There

are several tests that could be helpful if we could only do them.

> >  

> > Thank you so much.

> >  

> > Rhonda

> >

>