Guest guest

, Elaine--I recently read someone's story about Lupus (a link on

's home page) that discussed the link between autoimmune diseases in

general and stress and suggested that a lot of us are/were Type A

personalities. I know I'm guilty even though I'm letting a lot of that go

(no choice). For years, I thrived on stress and got a big rush out of

having deadlines and meeting them at the last minute. The company where I

worked made multi-tasking a requirement for my job. I think now that I

wasn't thriving, just burning myself out.

My husband had a quadruple by-pass 8 yrs ago and as part of rehab we both

took a stress mgmt class. During a little exercise he tested out to be a

Type B, while I was definitely a Type A. Now, I just don't have the energy

to get stressed and know I have to conserve my energy for more important

things. This epiphany has been a real blessing for me. He, however, is

very stressed out because of my disease. He can't understand why it

happened to me. I try really hard not to let him project his stress on me

because I can't do anything about it. But it really hurts.

I'd like to see an informal survey of this group.

Elaine,

> I totally agree and think that trauma or extreme stress causes a lot

> of damage to the adrenal system, as well as other systems and can

> lead to chronic conditions.

> We should start our own study!

Re: Elaine and theory

> Elaine,

> I totally agree and think that trauma or extreme stress causes a lot

> of damage to the adrenal system, as well as other systems and can

> lead to chronic conditions.

> We should start our own study! We could get funded for writing to

> this board and taking people's stories, and could hire Heidi as the

> project manager to do what she already does so well! :)

>

>

>

> > Glenda,

> > Maybe we were just too active when we were kids (and adults) Maybe

> we just burnt out our bodies. I've always seen under alot of stress,

> good and bad, as long as I can remember. I think that all that

> adeneline running through you bodies over long periods of time can

> burn things out. Just my off the wall therory.

> > Elaine

>

>

>

>

> DISCLAIMER!!

> WE ARE NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS, THEREFORE ANY INFORMATION THAT IS

RECEIVED HERE IS FROM EXPERIENCE ONLY. PLEASE CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR

BEFORE TRYING ANYTHING THAT IS SUGGESTED. WE ARE NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR YOUR

PHYSICIAN AND ARE NOT TRYING TO BE. REMEMBER EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT AND

TREATMENT MAYBE DIFFERENT FOR MANY OF US. THANK YOU

>

>

I agree. I've often wondered just how big a role stress has played in triggering my RP and thought perhaps that may have been the cause. I went through a 3 year period just before I began having symptoms where there was so much trauma and extreme stress that I really began to feel numb. I'd be interested in seeing an informal survey too.

-----Original Message-----From: Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 12:20 PMTo: Rpolychondritis Subject: Re: Re: Elaine and theory

, Elaine--I recently read someone's story about Lupus (a link on's home page) that discussed the link between autoimmune diseases ingeneral and stress and suggested that a lot of us are/were Type Apersonalities. I know I'm guilty even though I'm letting a lot of that go(no choice). For years, I thrived on stress and got a big rush out ofhaving deadlines and meeting them at the last minute. The company where Iworked made multi-tasking a requirement for my job. I think now that Iwasn't thriving, just burning myself out.My husband had a quadruple by-pass 8 yrs ago and as part of rehab we bothtook a stress mgmt class. During a little exercise he tested out to be aType B, while I was definitely a Type A. Now, I just don't have the energyto get stressed and know I have to conserve my energy for more importantthings. This epiphany has been a real blessing for me. He, however, isvery stressed out because of my disease. He can't understand why ithappened to me. I try really hard not to let him project his stress on mebecause I can't do anything about it. But it really hurts.I'd like to see an informal survey of this group.Elaine,> I totally agree and think that trauma or extreme stress causes a lot> of damage to the adrenal system, as well as other systems and can> lead to chronic conditions.> We should start our own study! Re: Elaine and theory> Elaine,> I totally agree and think that trauma or extreme stress causes a lot> of damage to the adrenal system, as well as other systems and can> lead to chronic conditions.> We should start our own study! We could get funded for writing to> this board and taking people's stories, and could hire Heidi as the> project manager to do what she already does so well! :)> >> > > Glenda,> > Maybe we were just too active when we were kids (and adults) Maybe> we just burnt out our bodies. I've always seen under alot of stress,> good and bad, as long as I can remember. I think that all that> adeneline running through you bodies over long periods of time can> burn things out. Just my off the wall therory.> > Elaine>>>>> DISCLAIMER!!> WE ARE NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS, THEREFORE ANY INFORMATION THAT ISRECEIVED HERE IS FROM EXPERIENCE ONLY. PLEASE CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTORBEFORE TRYING ANYTHING THAT IS SUGGESTED. WE ARE NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR YOURPHYSICIAN AND ARE NOT TRYING TO BE. REMEMBER EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT ANDTREATMENT MAYBE DIFFERENT FOR MANY OF US. THANK YOU>>

Hi ,

I had extreme stress in the period before I got sick and d/x. My best friend got murdered, my Mom became very ill. I went thru two trials. It was one thing after another. I often think stress really contributed to my illness.

Also if I get really stressed out now, I might not flare that day but by the next week I will be. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. Hope your doing okay.

Take care,

Love,

Lu

I agree. I've often wondered just how big a role stress has played in triggering my RP and thought perhaps that may have been the cause. I went through a 3 year period just before I began having symptoms where there was so much trauma and extreme stress that I really began to feel numb. I'd be interested in seeing an informal survey too.