RemedySpot.com

RE: Tai Chi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hey is this anything like yoga? We don't have classes around here for the other but I was wondering if you think I could handle the yoga with my bad back? Ideas anyone? Help>

Lu

.. I started taking Tai Chi

Hi ,

I have heard only of the yoga around here. Of course here is a small southern town in Alabama. But if I thought I could handle it, I think I would like to give it a try. No one knows what's wrong with my back. I hurt it a while back while cleaning house. Then when I had my fall I hurt it again, same places hurt. It hurts to sit too long and standing in one spot, I can't handle at the moment, so you still think yoga could help me or wait until the pain is better? Thanks! I appreciate your input.

Love,

Lu

Hi Lu,

I don't know what kind of back problems you have but yoga was recommended to me by my PCP when my back "went out" and I was having terrible spasms in my lower back. I opted for water aerobics instead but many people have told me yoga is wonderful for a bad back, not to metion the emotional benefits. Another low impact exercise that is highly recommended for people with bad backs is pilates. I'd never heard of it before but it is getting really popular here in Southern California. A friend of mine was in a severe auto accident and injured her back. She swears by it.

Hi Lu,

I don't know what kind of back problems you have but yoga was recommended to me by my PCP when my back "went out" and I was having terrible spasms in my lower back. I opted for water aerobics instead but many people have told me yoga is wonderful for a bad back, not to metion the emotional benefits. Another low impact exercise that is highly recommended for people with bad backs is pilates. I'd never heard of it before but it is getting really popular here in Southern California. A friend of mine was in a severe auto accident and injured her back. She swears by it.

-----Original Message-----From: Lu1953@... Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 10:25 PMTo: Rpolychondritis Subject: Re: Tai ChiHey is this anything like yoga? We don't have classes around here for the other but I was wondering if you think I could handle the yoga with my bad back? Ideas anyone? Help> Lu

.. I started taking Tai Chi DISCLAIMER!!WE ARE NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS, THEREFORE ANY INFORMATION THAT IS RECEIVED HERE IS FROM EXPERIENCE ONLY. PLEASE CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TRYING ANYTHING THAT IS SUGGESTED. WE ARE NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR YOUR PHYSICIAN AND ARE NOT TRYING TO BE. REMEMBER EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT AND TREATMENT MAYBE DIFFERENT FOR MANY OF US. THANK YOU

In a message dated 1/28/02 10:28:37 PM Pacific Standard Time, Lu1953@...

writes:

<< Hey is this anything like yoga? >>

Lu, it is a very slow paced movement exercise. It helps with stretching and

balance. It also is great for your emotional state. Just kind of feel so

relaxed when done. It does tone your body too. (of course you'd never prove

that by me. )

The VA had Rich and I take a class, now we have on in town at the senior

center which is open to anyone. I also have tapes to use at home.

Hugs

"I opted for water aerobics instead but many people have told me yoga is wonderful for a bad back, not to metion the emotional benefits. Another low impact exercise that is highly recommended for people with bad backs is pilates."

--

Lu--

Pilates is trendy now, but was actually developed by a guy after WWII to help disabled Vets with their rehabilitation. It focuses on elongating and stretching muscles that haven't been used in a while. Tai Chi is slower in tempo than Yoga and is fun and graceful-great for relaxation. You can't beat water aerobics for combining low impact exercise with the fun women have while they are there. My sister-in-law started doing it and is now teaching 2 days a week for a retirement center. She has a ball with her classes. I have a collection of various exercise videos from Wal-Mart but usually stick with the same old favorites I've done for years.

What I like most about exercising is that it is something I have control over. This disease has tried awfully hard to take control of my life with the fatigue and pain that sneak up when I think I'm not looking. But the exercise is something I control (I say this for any control freaks out there like me that feel a little out of control because of RP). This isn't something the doctor ordered. I take charge on this one and there's some power in that. Once you've mastered one of the routines even at a beginner level, the mental benefits are indescribable.

RE: Tai Chi

Hi Lu,

-----Original Message-----From: Lu1953@... Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 10:25 PMTo: Rpolychondritis Subject: Re: Tai ChiHey is this anything like yoga? We don't have classes around here for the other but I was wondering if you think I could handle the yoga with my bad back? Ideas anyone? Help> Lu

.. I started taking Tai Chi DISCLAIMER!!WE ARE NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS, THEREFORE ANY INFORMATION THAT IS RECEIVED HERE IS FROM EXPERIENCE ONLY. PLEASE CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TRYING ANYTHING THAT IS SUGGESTED. WE ARE NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR YOUR PHYSICIAN AND ARE NOT TRYING TO BE. REMEMBER EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT AND TREATMENT MAYBE DIFFERENT FOR MANY OF US. THANK YOU

Thanks for the info ,

But I'm not sure we have a place around here that has water aerobics, of course I need to check that out. Or build a pool, hey I like that idea. lol Anyway, thank you for explaining what Pilates is to me, I was lost on that one. I know exercise of some form or fashion would help. You take care,

Love,

Lu

Pilates is trendy now, but was actually developed by a guy after WWII to help disabled Vets with their rehabilitation. It focuses on elongating and stretching muscles that haven't been used in a while. Tai Chi is slower in tempo than Yoga and is fun and graceful-great for relaxation. You can't beat water aerobics for combining low impact exercise with the fun women have while they are there. My sister-in-law started doing it and is now teaching 2 days a week for a retirement center. She has a ball with her classes. I have a collection of various exercise videos from Wal-Mart but usually stick with the same old favorites I've done for years.

What I like most about exercising is that it is something I have control over. This disease has tried awfully hard to take control of my life with the fatigue and pain that sneak up when I think I'm not looking. But the exercise is something I control (I say this for any control freaks out there like me that feel a little out of control because of RP). This isn't something the doctor ordered. I take charge on this one and there's some power in that. Once you've mastered one of the routines even at a beginner level, the mental benefits are indescribable.

Hey Lu - I just wanted to tell you that although I was born and raised in Michigan, both my parents are from Alabama, and their parents, and their parents....they always told me I was a "transplanted" southerner. After they retired, they moved back there too. I usually visit in the summer (not exactly the best time to visit as far as humidity and heat is concerned LOL). My mom lives in the Gadsden area. Where are you?

Love,

-----Original Message-----From: Lu1953@... Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 4:13 AMTo: Rpolychondritis Subject: Re: Tai ChiHi , I have heard only of the yoga around here. Of course here is a small southern town in Alabama. But if I thought I could handle it, I think I would like to give it a try. No one knows what's wrong with my back. I hurt it a while back while cleaning house. Then when I had my fall I hurt it again, same places hurt. It hurts to sit too long and standing in one spot, I can't handle at the moment, so you still think yoga could help me or wait until the pain is better? Thanks! I appreciate your input. Love, Lu

Hi Lu, I don't know what kind of back problems you have but yoga was recommended to me by my PCP when my back "went out" and I was having terrible spasms in my lower back. I opted for water aerobics instead but many people have told me yoga is wonderful for a bad back, not to metion the emotional benefits. Another low impact exercise that is highly recommended for people with bad backs is pilates. I'd never heard of it before but it is getting really popular here in Southern California. A friend of mine was in a severe auto accident and injured her back. She swears by it. DISCLAIMER!!WE ARE NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS, THEREFORE ANY INFORMATION THAT IS RECEIVED HERE IS FROM EXPERIENCE ONLY. PLEASE CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TRYING ANYTHING THAT IS SUGGESTED. WE ARE NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR YOUR PHYSICIAN AND ARE NOT TRYING TO BE. REMEMBER EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT AND TREATMENT MAYBE DIFFERENT FOR MANY OF US. THANK YOU