RemedySpot.com

my trip to see Dr. Franco

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello's to Everyone :-)

It's me, Connie-who-can-never-seem-to-keep-up-with-the-posts :-) I'm back from my yearly Dr. Franco appointment in CA and I thought it was high time that I check in. A little background for those of you I have yet to "meet"....I've been diagnosed by three different doctors with "might be RP" in addition to another connective tissue disease called dermatomyositis......both are in the RA family. My treatment for the past 4 years has centered on using antibiotics as described in Dr. Franco's website at www.thearthritiscenter.com (You can also look at other websites that detail the protocol at www.rheumatic.org www.immed.org and www.roadback.org (you'll even find our Dr. Trentham mentioned in the roadback site...small world!)

OK.....our flight was supposed to leave at 5:00am and arrive at 9:00am, which meant that we had to get up reallllly early that day. This, added to the fact that someone rang our doorbell in the middle night before our trip, meant that we had little sleep to get through a day of traveling and doctor appointments. Unfortunately, our 5:00am flight was cancelled and we were booked on other flights and didn't arrive in California until 30 minutes prior to my appointment with Dr. Franco......whew!! So, my brain wasn't functioning at top speed (whatever that is!) due to lack of sleep and traveling.

Anyway....I've been seeing Dr. Franco once a year for the past 4 years (wish I could go more often, but I have assured him that my local internist keeps a pretty good watch, while Dr. Franco adjusts my antibiotics as needed). Two years ago I mentioned to Dr. Franco that my ENT said that I might have RP, due to the cough that has plagued me since the beginning. At the time, Dr. Franco said that he doubted that it was RP, but at my appointment a few weeks ago, guess what?! HE suggested that my lingering cough and sensitive throat might be RP! I give up :-) My guess is that it is that much harder to pin down because the antibiotics have things pretty well under control, although I do wish the cough was completely gone. (It has been drastically reduced since the antibiotics, though) In any case, just to make sure.....I asked Dr. F if the antibiotic protocol was appropriate for RP as well as dermatomyositis. (I knew he would say yes, I just wanted to hear it :-)

So, there you have it. It's working for me and I certainly know that this treatment is not the everyday ordinary protocol for RA or any related disease.....including RP. I just hope to throw it out there for anyone who is interested in pursuing it.....and you definitely have to research it and ask for it (maybe even more than once :-)

One more thing.....Dr. Franco also believes that the antibiotics are only half of the solution. The other half is taking the proper supplements and vitamins. I have been off of my vitamins for the past 6 months....it's easy to forget them, especially when you are feeling so good.....and I have noticed that my skin on my face and ear is getting crusty in places. So, back to my fish oil, CO-Q 10, calcium, Vit C, E, magnesium....

Take care and hugs,

Connie H