RemedySpot.com

Re: New med

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Kathleen my rheumatologist has me use colchecine on an as needed basis for when I have a flare where my joints are killing me. It really works well but there are some side effects that are not too pleasant. For me after the second colchecine I get alot of diarrhea that usually resolves by the next day. He has me take it twice a day when I have painful joints. I'd rather put up with the diarrhea and be able to move, rather than have the terrible joint pains. Hope this helps. Sue P

New med

Hi all.

Went in to see the rheumy this morning as I am having a flare up. He has upped the pred to 30 mg and wants to add Colchicine. Has anybody else tried this one? He said it has far fewer side effects than the others, MTX, Imuran, or Dapsone. I just hope it works. He also wants me into the ENT again as my trachea is acting up this time :-(

Also, have any of you guys ever gotten a rash/sores on your scalp? I do and it HURTS. He said it was probably some sort of a local infection and gave me some antibiotic cream for it. He said, "There's no cartilage on the top of your head!" Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink... Anyway, if you guys have ever had this (or anything similar) please let me know!

Kathleen (Tx) DISCLAIMER!!WE ARE NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS, THEREFORE ANY INFORMATION THAT IS RECEIVED HERE IS FROM EXPERIENCE ONLY. PLEASE CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TRYING ANYTHING THAT IS SUGGESTED. WE ARE NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR YOUR PHYSICIAN AND ARE NOT TRYING TO BE. REMEMBER EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT AND TREATMENT MAYBE DIFFERENT FOR MANY OF US. THANK YOU

Hi Kathleen,

I am on Colchicine also, but it wasn't working fast enough, so they

added the Metho to it. I had absolutely no side effects from it at

all. But, because the flare is so intense, we had to start the Metho

within a week, but he did keep me on the Colchicine also. So, it

must do something! :) Good luck!

> Hi all.

>

> Went in to see the rheumy this morning as I am having a flare up.

He has upped the pred to 30 mg and wants to add Colchicine. Has

anybody else tried this one? He said it has far fewer side effects

than the others, MTX, Imuran, or Dapsone. I just hope it works. He

also wants me into the ENT again as my trachea is acting up this

time :-(

>

> Also, have any of you guys ever gotten a rash/sores on your

scalp? I do and it HURTS. He said it was probably some sort of a

local infection and gave me some antibiotic cream for it. He

said, " There's no cartilage on the top of your head! " Nudge, Nudge,

Wink, Wink... Anyway, if you guys have ever had this (or anything

similar) please let me know!

>

> Kathleen (Tx)

Kathleen,

I do not post very often, but your questions hit home.

My name is Rita and I am from Montgomery, AL. My

first flare was a year ago this past December in my

left ear, my second was two months later in my right

ear. I finally ended up with a Rhemy in Birmingham AL

who immediately put me on Pred and Colchicine. I have

not had an ear flare since. I have had the head and

scalp irritation and burning. My hair even came out

along the hair line after the flare. He disgnosed me

with vasculitis. It hasn't happened since, however

when the hair came back it was grey. Ha! The only

other strange affect RP has had on me is my

equilibrium (sp). I have had two spells where for a

couple of days the room spins. I cannot even walk

straight across the floor. I can only sleep on one

side. I'm sorry to hear about your problems. The

Colchicine along with the Pred.

--- Kathleen wrote:

> Hi all.

>

> Went in to see the rheumy this morning as I am

> having a flare up. He has upped the pred to 30 mg

> and wants to add Colchicine. Has anybody else tried

> this one? He said it has far fewer side effects

> than the others, MTX, Imuran, or Dapsone. I just

> hope it works. He also wants me into the ENT again

> as my trachea is acting up this time :-(

>

> Also, have any of you guys ever gotten a rash/sores

> on your scalp? I do and it HURTS. He said it was

> probably some sort of a local infection and gave me

> some antibiotic cream for it. He said, " There's no

> cartilage on the top of your head! " Nudge, Nudge,

> Wink, Wink... Anyway, if you guys have ever had

> this (or anything similar) please let me know!

>

> Kathleen (Tx)

>

=====

Have a great day!

Rita

Hi Kathleen, this is Kathy. I don't post often but I'm still here. (with a almost 2 yr old granddaughter on my lap- dying to type!!). I've been on dapsone 150 mg and colchicine 1.2 mg daily (along w/Pred, prevacid and prempro). Any side effects I believe were from the pred and are dissipating as the dosage reduces. The hardest time I've had with the colchicine is remembering to take it in the evening. It's the only med that's more than once a day. Good luck.

New med

Hi all.

Went in to see the rheumy this morning as I am having a flare up. He has upped the pred to 30 mg and wants to add Colchicine. Has anybody else tried this one? He said it has far fewer side effects than the others, MTX, Imuran, or Dapsone. I just hope it works. He also wants me into the ENT again as my trachea is acting up this time :-(

Also, have any of you guys ever gotten a rash/sores on your scalp? I do and it HURTS. He said it was probably some sort of a local infection and gave me some antibiotic cream for it. He said, " There's no cartilage on the top of your head! " Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink... Anyway, if you guys have ever had this (or anything similar) please let me know!

Kathleen (Tx) DISCLAIMER!!WE ARE NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS, THEREFORE ANY INFORMATION THAT IS RECEIVED HERE IS FROM EXPERIENCE ONLY. PLEASE CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TRYING ANYTHING THAT IS SUGGESTED. WE ARE NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR YOUR PHYSICIAN AND ARE NOT TRYING TO BE. REMEMBER EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT AND TREATMENT MAYBE DIFFERENT FOR MANY OF US. THANK YOU

Kathy,

Thanks for the reply. Did you try the colchicine first and then add the dapsone, or the other way around? I am just curious as to whether just one wasn't enough or did your doctor put you on both at the same time? The pred does really stink and I do hope to be able to get off of it soon!

Kathleen (Tx)

New med

Hi all.

Also, have any of you guys ever gotten a rash/sores on your scalp? I do and it HURTS. He said it was probably some sort of a local infection and gave me some antibiotic cream for it. He said, "There's no cartilage on the top of your head!" Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink... Anyway, if you guys have ever had this (or anything similar) please let me know!

Hi Kathleen,

My rheumy has me taking 0.6mg of colchicine twice a day at the first sign of a flare anywhere (eye, ear, ribs, joints etc). She instructed me to take it until I get diarrhea (usually 3 to 4 days later). I am also on 15mg of Methotrexate weekly. The Colchicine reduced the duration and intensity of my flares. With the addition of the Methotrexate, I do not have as many flares. I've not had scalp sores or a rash but my scalp has become extremely tender. Feel better soon!

-----Original Message-----From: Kathleen Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 8:05 AMTo: Rpolychondritis Subject: New med

Hi all.

claire

Coralie have got colchicine, but with so much other med that i'm not sure it' was good for her and RP.

Nicolas have got fash /sore in his scalp too. THE DR. GAVE CREAM WITH STEROIDS IT'S WORK NOT SO BAD.He often have this kind of rash during or before a flare.

Amitiés

Marie-Pi