RemedySpot.com

Sharyn

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

In a message dated 02/26/2002 10:19:54 PM Central Standard Time, Rpolychondritis writes:

So here is my question. Are there any of you who have had silicone

implants of any kind? I know it sounds like I am grasping at

straws, but my family history...five generations back have never had

any of the illnesses that I have. I am also a diabetic which is

making it difficult taking the prednisone since it has made my blood

sugar go up high.

Hi, Sharyn.......

Welcome to this wonderful group. I was diagnosed with RP in 1997 and, honestly, don't know what I would have done without the support and knowledge of these fine people.

To answer your question.......yes, I have had breast implants. They were the Becker saline implants which, at the time, I was told were 100% safe. I had mastectomies with immediate reconstruction. I questioned the doctor extensively about the safety of the implants and was told not to worry, they were totally safe, unlike the saline implants. Let me tell you, that is not the truth!! Although they are called "saline implants" the actual implant itself is made of silicone. Mine, too, ruptured and I've had several surgeries to replace them and to remove the silicone that had spread to other parts of my body. I also began to have strange symptoms almost immediately after having the implants, which continued to worsen. I had the implants removed in 1995(?). Like you, some of my symptoms improved but never went away; other symptoms continued to worsen. I am convinced the implants have played a huge part in my developing RP, fibromyalgia, arthritis, etc., etc. I also have diabetes which has worsened with the use of Prednisone, so now I am on insulin.

Hope this answers your question. I can definitely relate to how you feel about the implants.

Take care, ask questions, get to know this group and know that we feel a closeness to you already.

Love,

T.

Guest guest

Sharyn

You will have to enlighten us on your theories. We have done several surveys and have not been able to put us all into the one thing that is alike. If you find it let us know or we could do another survey.

Sorry to hear your bestest friend might have this darn RP too! Gish I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Lots of love

Glenda