RemedySpot.com

My rheumy appt.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello all,

Well for once I am not writing with questions! I saw my rheumy last Friday and we discussed some problems I have been having. The biggest to me was that I had been having blue lips and fingernails since starting on a higher dose of Dapsone. She said that this a problem with Dapsone as it decreases red blood cells. She ordered some blood work and sure enough it was making me anemic. So, no more Dapsone and I get to try Metho. I'm not really excited about it as the side effects sound so nasty. However, I did read the news about the good it has been shown to do for RA patients. My doctor said that they use it all the time with little problem. So here's hoping!

The other thing we talked about was what happens if the MTX doesn't help quickly enough. She said that she would put me in the hospital with IV steriods. ACH! I don't like the sound of that... Has anyone else had this done? It seems like we could try a higher dose of oral pred??? I have only been up to 30 mg. at the highest. Oh well, another question for her.

She also said that the CT scan of my trachea showed some calcification and that that meant there had been inflammation. She said that when the inflammation heals, the body deposits calcium -- therefore calcification.

Anyway, I guess I could use some encouragement about trying the metho! I know that many of you have used it and it helped. I sure hope it helps quickly for me as I don't want to go into the hospital!

Bye for now --- Kathleen (Tx)

Guest guest

Kathleen (Tx), I wish you the best on Metho. It has done wonders for a lot

of people. I now there are some in the group who have been pulsed with IV

pred. They can probably give you more answers on that.

It will be good to get be able to have the metho work so you can get your

pred dose down eventually.

I just bought the book " Coping With Predison " Boy I wish I would have had it

3 years ago. If anyone hasn't read it, it is well worth reading. Gives

some great pointers on how NOT to blow up on pred, how to handle the mood

swings etc.

I know someone in the group recommended it and I'm sorry I can't remember

who, but THANK YOU!

hugs