RemedySpot.com

Fw: BUILD BRIDGES NOT FENCES

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Once upon a time two brothers who lived on adjoiningfarms fell into conflict. It was the first seriousrift in 40 years of farming side by side, sharingmachinery, and trading labor and goods as neededwithout a hitch.Then the long collaboration fell apart. It beganwith a small misunderstanding and it grew into amajor difference, and finally it exploded into anexchange of bitter words followed by weeks ofsilence.One morning there was a knock on 's door. Heopened it to find a man with a carpenter's toolbox."I'm looking for a few days work" he said. "Perhapsyou would have a few small jobs here and there Icould help with? Could I help you?""Yes," said the older brother. "I do have a job foryou. Look across the creek at that farm. That's myneighbor, in fact, it's my younger brother. Lastweek there was a meadow between us and he took hisbulldozer to the river levee and now there is acreek between us. Well, he may have done this tospite me, but I'll go him one better. See that pileof lumber by the barn? I want you to build me afence - - an 8-foot fence -- so I won't need to seehis place or his face anymore."The carpenter said, "I think I understand thesituation. Show me the nails and the post-holedigger and I'll be able to do a job that pleasesyou."The older brother had to go to town, so he helpedthe carpenter get the materials ready and then hewas off for the day. The carpenter worked hard allthat day measuring, sawing, nailing.About sunset when the farmer returned, the carpenterhad just finished his job.The farmer's eyes opened wide, his jaw dropped.There was no fence there at all. It was a bridge --a bridge stretching from one side of the creek tothe other! A fine piece of work handrails and all --and the neighbor, his younger brother, was comingacross, his hand outstretched. "You are quite afellow to build this bridge after all I've said anddone."The two brothers stood at each end of the bridge,and then they met in the middle, taking each other'shand. They turned to see the carpenter hoist histoolbox on his shoulder."No, wait! Stay a few days. I've a lot of otherprojects for you," said the older brother."I'd love to stay on," the carpenter said, "but, Ihave many more bridges to build."REMEMBER THIS:God won't ask what kind of car you drove, but He'llask how many people you drove who didn't havetransportation.God won't ask the square footage of your house, butHe'll ask how many people you welcomed into yourhome.God won't ask about the clothes you had in yourcloset, but He'll ask how many you helped to clothe.God won't ask about your social status; He will askwhat kind of class you displayed.God won't ask how many material possession you had,but He'll ask if they dictated your life.God won't ask what your highest salary was, butHe'll ask if you compromised your character toobtain it.God won't ask how much overtime you worked, butHe'll ask if your overtime work was for yourself orfor your family.God won't ask how many promotions you received, butHe'll ask how you promoted others.God won't ask what your job title was, but He'll askif you performed your job to the best of yourability.God won't ask what you did to help yourself, butHe'll ask what you did to help others.God won't ask how many friends you had, but He'llask how many people to whom you were a friend.God won't ask what you did to protect your rights,but He'll ask what you did to protect the rights ofothers.God won't ask in what neighborhood you lived, butHe'll ask how you treated your neighbors.God won't ask about the color of your skin, butHe'll ask about the content of your character.God won't ask how many times your deeds matched yourwords, but He'll ask how many times they didn't.God won't ask why it took you so long to seekSalvation, but He'll lovingly take you to yourmansion in heaven, and not to the gates of Hell.God won't ask how many people you forwarded thistoo, but He'll ask, "Were you ashamed to pass it onto your friends?"