In a message dated 4/14/02 7:59:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,

mgiordano@... writes:

<< . I was blessed to not have severe problems while I was caring for him, I

think it took time, and other factors to manifest my body's increasing

expression of the symptoms. S >>

Carol, the same thing happened to me. I took care of my mom for almost 3

years. She died in March of 1999 and I was diagnosed in May of 1999. I

think the stress is time delayed. Or God is watching over us to make sure we

don't have too much to deal with at one time.

hugs

Guest guest

carol g.

i just don't think this has really hit my husband yet, and look out when it does. i just hope i can handle him when it does.

Dawn, it's Carol. Thanks for your response. Please know that I am concerned for both of you. I don't know much about your illness history, but this is going to be a time of challenge for your body to control. I know that Dad's death was one of the contributing factors to the stress that compiled to bring on the RP in full force, enough for a diagnosis just 3 months ago. I was blessed to not have severe problems while I was caring for him, I think it took time, and other factors to manifest my body's increasing expression of the symptoms. So, be careful for yourself and for that you don't let yourself be too overwhelmed and cause a major reaction too your health, and I know that's easier said than done. I don't know if you had any grief counseling when your Dad died, I had some, and it helped. Maybe that, or a support group such as this or a local group could give you and more strength to deal with your terrible loss. You said you hope you can handle him when it hits him, so arm yourself with the tools and people you will need to help you help him. My husband had a difficult time helping me, and he was very close to my Dad too. You know better than anybody, and you will know what can help him, but don't be surprised if he doesn't respond as you expect. I don't mean to preach here, but I wish someone would have told me what it would be like for us, and it may be completely different for you. It sounds, though, like you both are going to have to search for peace, separately and together, and I know that won't be easy. I don't know if you have children, and that's a whole other challenge. But mainly, right now you have to take care of yourself, so you have the strength and ability to be there for and the others in the ways that they will need. I will be thinking of you, and when you might need a boost, just ask for it. We all care very much. Talk to you soon.