RemedySpot.com

Regression??

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Stacie, I have a 8 year old boy. apie/adha/ocd my son has been in special education since he was 3 and he is in the 2ed grade now and still in special education and will be until he gratuates high school when he is 18 or 22. Also see if the school district if they have a autism team. they can help alot.ie <scrapitall54201@...> wrote: I have a question for all of you. Have any of you encountered regression with your kids? The reason I ask is that Dakota was in preschool and did great. Now he is full time kindergarden and he was doing great at the beginning of the year and now he is losing speech, dexterity and some fine motor. He went into the hospital for testing to see if any seizures were causing it and it looks like the seizures are well controlled with the depakote. They told me to start looking at other stressors? I am debating if they mainstreamed him into regular Ed to fast. And what can I suggest to the school to do differently? I know working in small groups would benefit him as he withdraws from large groups. But this is also his first year going all day. I know he doesn't like loud noise. He has problems with that. Wondering if the class size is too loud? Tomorrow I am going to talk to Dakota's neuro psychologist and see what

she has to say. Was wondering if anyone has been down this road before and what steps you took to limit the amount of stressors your child faces in school? Stacie

Bored stiff? Loosen up...Download and play hundreds of games for free on Games.

Stacie,

When my daughter was in kindergarten which happened to be a mainstreamed one she to regressed. It was way to noisy for her and the teacher had four different activities going on at the same time. and there was a total of 25 children.This was a stressor for her. I went in had a PPT and suggested that she go in the kindergarten for half the day and also if my daughter felt or her B.T. felt that the class was to stressful for her she would be taken out of the class and taken to her ABA classroom where she could do her kindergarten activity there.The teacher suggested if my daughter had to leave the classroom that she shouldn't be able to return. So much for compassion. Well she lost that one and wasn't to happy about it. This was the first year our school district was doing mainstreaming and to tell you the truth it was awful. The regular ed teacher had no knowledge of how to be compassionate towards a child with autism or any disability. I suggested they take a

course on compassion.

Now her 1 grade teacher is another story she went. She let my daughter leave the room whenever she felt the stresses coming and she could return at her convenience. When the teacher wanted to do a group project she started pairing different student with my daughter to see who would work with best with her. My daughter ended up with 6 different students so they take turns.That year she make remarkable progress.

I suggest take it slow you know your child better than anyone.

Janet

Regression??

I have a question for all of you. Have any of you encountered regression with your kids? The reason I ask is that Dakota was in preschool and did great. Now he is full time kindergarden and he was doing great at the beginning of the year and now he is losing speech, dexterity and some fine motor. He went into the hospital for testing to see if any seizures were causing it and it looks like the seizures are well controlled with the depakote. They told me to start looking at other stressors? I am debating if they mainstreamed him into regular Ed to fast. And what can I suggest to the school to do differently? I know working in small groups would benefit him as he withdraws from large groups. But this is also his first year going all day. I know he doesn't like loud noise. He has problems with that. Wondering if the class size is too loud? Tomorrow I am going to talk to Dakota's neuro psychologist and see what she has to say. Was wondering if anyone has been down this

road before and what steps you took to limit the amount of stressors your child faces in school?

Stacie

We've dealt with regression but it was caused by medications.

What's your IEP say? You could probably call you spec. ed. director

and his teacher at the school and talk with them about ways to help

you child. You might have to consider taken him out of the

mainstream class. You know what's best for you child. You're his

voice.

-- In Autism and Aspergers Treatment , " Stacie "

<scrapitall54201@...> wrote:

>

> I have a question for all of you. Have any of you encountered

regression

> with your kids? The reason I ask is that Dakota was in preschool

and did

> great. Now he is full time kindergarden and he was doing great at

the

> beginning of the year and now he is losing speech, dexterity and

some fine

> motor. He went into the hospital for testing to see if any

seizures were

> causing it and it looks like the seizures are well controlled with

the

> depakote. They told me to start looking at other stressors? I am

debating if

> they mainstreamed him into regular Ed to fast. And what can I

suggest to the

> school to do differently? I know working in small groups would

benefit him

> as he withdraws from large groups. But this is also his first year

going all

> day. I know he doesn't like loud noise. He has problems with that.

Wondering

> if the class size is too loud? Tomorrow I am going to talk to

Dakota's neuro

> psychologist and see what she has to say. Was wondering if anyone

has been

> down this road before and what steps you took to limit the amount

of

> stressors your child faces in school?

>

> Stacie

>

Stacie,

My son went through something similar in Sept. of last year. Eventually, we ended up reducing his hours in the mainstream kindergarten. But since then, he has reversed most of the regression and doing very well in both his lifeskills and kindergarten classes.

Regression??

I have a question for all of you. Have any of you encountered regression with your kids? The reason I ask is that Dakota was in preschool and did great. Now he is full time kindergarden and he was doing great at the beginning of the year and now he is losing speech, dexterity and some fine motor. He went into the hospital for testing to see if any seizures were causing it and it looks like the seizures are well controlled with the depakote. They told me to start looking at other stressors? I am debating if they mainstreamed him into regular Ed to fast. And what can I suggest to the school to do differently? I know working in small groups would benefit him as he withdraws from large groups. But this is also his first year going all day. I know he doesn't like loud noise. He has problems with that. Wondering if the class size is too loud? Tomorrow I am going to talk to Dakota's neuro psychologist and see what she has to say. Was wondering if anyone has been down this

road before and what steps you took to limit the amount of stressors your child faces in school?

Stacie

Need Mail bonding?Go to the Q&A for great tips from Answers users.

I have witnessed this many times. There may be multiple causalities,

but you may increase understanding of his situation if you are able to

do classroom observation. I have requested this, and have found out

many things ...

>

> I have a question for all of you. Have any of you encountered regression

> with your kids? The reason I ask is that Dakota was in preschool and did

> great. Now he is full time kindergarden and he was doing great at the

some fine

> motor. He went into the hospital for testing to see if any seizures were

> causing it and it looks like the seizures are well controlled with the

debating if

suggest to the

benefit him

going all

Wondering

Dakota's neuro

has been

> down this road before and what steps you took to limit the amount of

>

> Stacie

>

How do they reduce his hours in mainstreamed kindergarten? I am trying to understand how so I have some idea what I can see if they offer in the IEP review

stacie

-- Re: Regression??

Stacie,

My son went through something similar in Sept. of last year. Eventually, we ended up reducing his hours in the mainstream kindergarten. But since then, he has reversed most of the regression and doing very well in both his lifeskills and kindergarten classes.

Regression??

I have a question for all of you. Have any of you encountered regression with your kids? The reason I ask is that Dakota was in preschool and did great. Now he is full time kindergarden and he was doing great at the beginning of the year and now he is losing speech, dexterity and some fine motor. He went into the hospital for testing to see if any seizures were causing it and it looks like the seizures are well controlled with the depakote. They told me to start looking at other stressors? I am debating if they mainstreamed him into regular Ed to fast. And what can I suggest to the school to do differently? I know working in small groups would benefit him as he withdraws from large groups. But this is also his first year going all day. I know he doesn't like loud noise. He has problems with that. Wondering if the class size is too loud? Tomorrow I am going to talk to Dakota's neuro psychologist and see what she has to say. Was wondering if anyone has been down this road before and what steps you took to limit the amount of stressors your child faces in school?

Stacie

Need Mail bonding?Go to the Q & A for great tips from Answers users.

I was wondering about the 1/2 day. You see I don't feel that this school has enough people who are educated about autism and I am getting rather frustrated.

Stacie

Stacie,

When my daughter was in kindergarten which happened to be a mainstreamed one she to regressed. It was way to noisy for her and the teacher had four different activities going on at the same time. and there was a total of 25 children.This was a stressor for her. I went in had a PPT and suggested that she go in the kindergarten for half the day and also if my daughter felt or her B.T. felt that the class was to stressful for her she would be taken out of the class and taken to her ABA classroom where she could do her kindergarten activity there.The teacher suggested if my daughter had to leave the classroom that she shouldn't be able to return. So much for compassion. Well she lost that one and wasn't to happy about it. This was the first year our school district was doing mainstreaming and to tell you the truth it was awful. The regular ed teacher had no knowledge of how to be compassionate towards a child with autism or any disability. I suggested they take a course on compassion.

Now her 1 grade teacher is another story she went. She let my daughter leave the room whenever she felt the stresses coming and she could return at her convenience. When the teacher wanted to do a group project she started pairing different student with my daughter to see who would work with best with her. My daughter ended up with 6 different students so they take turns.That year she make remarkable progress.

I suggest take it slow you know your child better than anyone.

Janet

Regression??

I have a question for all of you. Have any of you encountered regression with your kids? The reason I ask is that Dakota was in preschool and did great. Now he is full time kindergarden and he was doing great at the beginning of the year and now he is losing speech, dexterity and some fine motor. He went into the hospital for testing to see if any seizures were causing it and it looks like the seizures are well controlled with the depakote. They told me to start looking at other stressors? I am debating if they mainstreamed him into regular Ed to fast. And what can I suggest to the school to do differently? I know working in small groups would benefit him as he withdraws from large groups. But this is also his first year going all day. I know he doesn't like loud noise. He has problems with that. Wondering if the class size is too loud? Tomorrow I am going to talk to Dakota's neuro psychologist and see what she has to say. Was wondering if anyone has been down this road before and what steps you took to limit the amount of stressors your child faces in school?

Stacie

Initially Hope did as well - it was horrible. But they put her on a 1.5 hour day, and immediately called in an OT and an aide. They were instrumental in getting Hope diagnosed. With the addition of meds and aba, plus her aide, ot and autism team services, Hope now LOVES to go to school. Her performance is still far below her abilities, but she is getting there, plus she is learning reciprocal play etc., I sent in a book with her on her first day of first grade, called being a friend to someone with autism, the teacher took some of the things that she felt may be an issue with Hope and they did the worksheets in class. This teacher tolerates no issues with kids teasing Hope, plus she has her aide at recess. The aide has been able to fade into the background more and more....Hope also goes to the YMCA for 2 hours in the afternoon without her aide, and while at first it was difficult, the ymca staff are all trained in inclusion for

disabled kids. Hope is very smart, and her sister Sara age 10 has willingly taken on the role of educating those around her about autism. She frequently brings up the subject with people. The other night one of her friends said, I feel sorry for you that Hope is your sister, and Sara looked at her like she was crazy. She said - are you nuts? Hope is one of the most interesting people that I know, her behaviors are challenging sometimes - but you would be just as blessed as we are to have her!I have long been very vocal in my love for special needs kids and have become a one woman crusader to educate other people about autism. Everyone in my office cuts out every autism artice they read or tape the tv shows that they see are coming on.Just a different take on it. I will most likely pull her out of school for middle school - the kids there - well everyone I am sure remembers what happened to Molly in that school, and

Sara won't be there - as sara is now in 5th grade, so she will already be in high school...I love hearing all the different ways that work for our kids!!!Jenmom to 4 special kidsStacie <scrapitall54201@...> wrote: I was wondering about the 1/2 day. You see I don't feel that this school has enough people who are

educated about autism and I am getting rather frustrated. Stacie -- Re: Regression?? Stacie, When my daughter was in kindergarten which happened to be a mainstreamed one she to regressed. It was way to noisy for her and the teacher had

four different activities going on at the same time. and there was a total of 25 children.This was a stressor for her. I went in had a PPT and suggested that she go in the kindergarten for half the day and also if my daughter felt or her B.T. felt that the class was to stressful for her she would be taken out of the class and taken to her ABA classroom where she could do her kindergarten activity there.The teacher suggested if my daughter had to leave the classroom that she shouldn't be able to return. So much for compassion. Well she lost that one and wasn't to happy about it. This was the first year our school district was doing mainstreaming and to tell you the truth it was awful. The regular ed teacher had no knowledge of how to be compassionate towards a child with autism or any disability. I suggested they take a course on compassion. Now her 1 grade teacher is another story she went. She let my daughter leave the room whenever

she felt the stresses coming and she could return at her convenience. When the teacher wanted to do a group project she started pairing different student with my daughter to see who would work with best with her. My daughter ended up with 6 different students so they take turns.That year she make remarkable progress. I suggest take it slow you know your child better than anyone. Janet Regression??

I have a question for all of you. Have any of you encountered regression with your kids? The reason I ask is that Dakota was in preschool and did great. Now he is full time kindergarden and he was doing great at the beginning of the year and now he is losing speech, dexterity and some fine motor. He went into the hospital for testing to see if any seizures were causing it and it looks like the seizures are well controlled with the depakote. They told me to start looking at other stressors? I am debating if they mainstreamed him into regular Ed to fast. And what can I suggest to the school to do differently? I know working in small groups would benefit him as he withdraws from large groups. But this is also his first year going all day. I know he doesn't like loud noise. He has problems with that. Wondering if the class size is too loud? Tomorrow I am going to talk to

Dakota's neuro psychologist and see what she has to say. Was wondering if anyone has been down this road before and what steps you took to limit the amount of stressors your child faces in school? Stacie

______________________________________________________________ If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or faraway. Henry Thoreau

Now that's room service! Choose from over 150,000 hotels in 45,000 destinations on Travel to find your fit.

The school which my son goes to also offers a lifeskills class (but unlike the other schools they still follow the kindergarten curriculum as much as they can).

He spends about 60% of his time in lifeskills and the other 40% in kindergarten.

I am assuming that your son still qualifies for special services based on a diagnosis of spectrum-related issues. If yes, then you can find out if they offer special ed classes (perhaps in a different campus), and if he qualifies for them. We were really skeptical about the lifeskills class in the beginning but it has worked wonders for our son. He actually looks forward to going to school.

Regression??

Stacie

Need Mail bonding?Go to the Q & A for great tips from Answers users.

TV dinner still cooling?Check out "Tonight's Picks" on TV.

I have seen it in class. The teacher knows it but the IEP people are being total jerks. Right now they keep blaming him being sick all the time. I had a nice talk with the teacher yesterday and her and I both agreed the regression started before he started getting sick. He is not losing any academics. I am getting a independent evaluation done. But the school is now willing to try to do this with the evaluation. But that's fine and dandy but I am doing the evaluation. They are just trying to put things off which is hurting Dakota more and more and making me more and more frustrated. I have some more research to on wrights law. They have a lot of good resources under autism. I think the whole issue here is he was mainstreamed in to the class way to fast and he can't work in big groups. He has some social issues. They are completely ignorant to the social issues. Basically for everything they want it in writing from my physicians and I am getting so frustrated with that. Because they can look at his stressors in school they just don't want too. The teacher and I have some of them figured out.

Stacie

I have witnessed this many times. There may be multiple causalities,

but you may increase understanding of his situation if you are able to

do classroom observation. I have requested this, and have found out

many things ...

>

> I have a question for all of you. Have any of you encountered regression

> with your kids? The reason I ask is that Dakota was in preschool and did

> great. Now he is full time kindergarden and he was doing great at the

some fine

> motor. He went into the hospital for testing to see if any seizures were

> causing it and it looks like the seizures are well controlled with the

debating if

suggest to the

benefit him

going all

Wondering

Dakota's neuro

has been

>

> Stacie

>

My autistic son did great in preschool. He was in a special needs

preschool but their issues were varied - speech delay, wheel-chair

bound, down syndrome etc. They also had role model kids that were

typically the siblings of special needs kids. The few times I

observed the class, it was obvious my son was the lowest functioning

child in the class. He had a 1:1 aide and still have the same aide

for the 4th year (she is the best!).

When deciding where to place my son for kindergarden, I realized

there was nothing similar. The high functioning and role model kids

were in typical classrooms while the low functioning kids were lumped

together in special ed. I visited the typical classrooms and knew my

son would not be able to keep up. He is non-verbal. As a result, I

opted for special day class.

My son transitioned well but I started noticing much less attempt to

talk. When I went to Back to School night, I asked the teacher how

many kids in his class were verbal. He said he was not supposed to

tell but only 2. My son went to a class where only 2 were non-verbal

to where only 2 were verbal. No wonder he was regressing. We are

always told to put our kids in school to learn socializing with their

peers but the peers they are put with have nothing to teach.

About mid-year, I met with my son's teacher. He was leaving the

school district to pursue a completely different career so he did not

feel bound to play games. He told me my son did not belong in that

class and that I need to get him around typical kids. After the next

teacher started, I asked for him to be mainstreamed. For the rest of

the year, he was in a typical K class but only about 5 minutes once

or twice a week. How is he going to learn that way?

During the IEP for the next year, I told them I wanted him to be

mainstreamed for an increasing amount of time for 1st grade then to

repeat 1st grade the next year in a typical class. They agreed. The

problem is their definition of increasing and mine were different.

My son stagnated most of the year and near the end of the year, I

discovered he was only spending about 10 minutes per day in a typical

class!

During the IEP for this year, I insisted my son be in a typical

class. They hemmed and hawed but knew I meant business. They

discussed goals but decided to take a month to reconvene to figure

out how to make it work. During that month, they assessed my son for

alternative communication device which they would never have done

otherwise (in a class of non-verbal kids, not talking is good enough

but now he would be with typical kids, they had to find a way).

What was decided was to start by having my son in the typical class 1

hour per day and special ed the rest and meet monthly to decide how

much to increase with the goal of 50% of the day by mid-year. Unlike

mainstreaming where the child is treated as more like a visiting

guest, in this situation, my son was assigned as a regular student

but was not there all the time. From the first he did great. His

aide said he was doing so well, she decided to keep him in there for

2 hours. By mid-year, he was in the typical class 80% of the day.

By great I do not mean he is able to do the work the other kids are

doing. What I mean is he is finally learning to sit still, be quiet

and look at the teacher while she is teaching. He is interacting

with other students and trying to do what they do. The kids in his

class love him and the girls fight over who gets to sit next to him

at lunch. His teacher send home homework like the other kids get and

I adjust the assignment according to his abilities. He is using his

communication device during circle time and to communicate his wants

and needs. At home, he is much happier and plays with his siblings

more. He is able to sit through a movie and will sit for long

periods of time while his 5 year old brother reads to him. He no

longer has issues with transitions and is just acting more and more

typical. The first monthly meeting, his special ed teacher admitted

she saw more improvement from the first month of being in the typical

class than she had his previous 2 years there.

As I look at the big picture, I have come to realize my initial focus

was wrong. I was so concerned about my son fitting in and thinking

he had to be at the same level as his classmates. I got just that

when really I want more. Now I realize that even though many of the

concepts taught in his class he does not understand, at the end of

the day he has learned more than he would in the special ed. More

about socialization by kids without a deficit, more language by kids

that talk easily (he is still non-verbal but his receptive language

has greatly increased), more academic concepts (he is starting to put

3 letter words together) and in behaviours (typical behaviors are

modeled daily by typical students - not just the adults in the class).

>

> I have a question for all of you. Have any of you encountered

regression

> with your kids? The reason I ask is that Dakota was in preschool

and did

> great. Now he is full time kindergarden and he was doing great at

the

some fine

> motor. He went into the hospital for testing to see if any seizures

were

> causing it and it looks like the seizures are well controlled with

the

debating if

suggest to the

benefit him

going all

Wondering

Dakota's neuro

has been

>

> Stacie

>

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

I have heard the word regression thrown around on other plagio sites.

Does any one know if this is a real risk? If so how severe of a

regression can it be. It does not make sense to me, I don't see how

molded bones could regress. I'm a little freaked out.

Also, we only have one or two adjustments left and cranial tech says

that my son will not need another band. However I still think there

could be improvement made. He will only be nine months old when his

band comes off. Do you think my feelings are warranted or should I

just chill out?

Any advice is appreciated!

Mom to 8 old Elijah

Guest guest

Regression only happens in about 1% of cases, it is very rare though

does happen from time to time. I'm not sure what really causes it.

How often do you go for adjustments? How much longer would he be in

his band? It's possible that you'll see that last bit of correction

you're looking for in the last weeks of treatment, especially if he

hits another growth spurt. There's no reason to chill out until

you're happy with the shape of his head, but I would wait and see

what happens over the next couple of weeks. If you want, you could

post some progress photos for us to weigh in more specifically.

Jake-22m (tort resolved/rt plagio/DOCBand #2 6 weeks)

Jordan-4

>

> I have heard the word regression thrown around on other plagio

sites.

> Does any one know if this is a real risk? If so how severe of a

> regression can it be. It does not make sense to me, I don't see how

> molded bones could regress. I'm a little freaked out.

>

> Also, we only have one or two adjustments left and cranial tech

says

> that my son will not need another band. However I still think there

> could be improvement made. He will only be nine months old when his

> band comes off. Do you think my feelings are warranted or should I

> just chill out?

>

>

> Any advice is appreciated!

>

> Mom to 8 old Elijah

>

Guest guest

I created an album named Elijah. They are candid photos and not really

progress photos, but any input is appreciated. Also in the photo named

eli4 please look at the area on the right side. That is the space

where the Velcro strap exist on the band. Cranial Tech assured me that

that bulge was soft tissue and would dissipate after the treatment ended.

Thanks!

> >

> > I have heard the word regression thrown around on other plagio

> sites.

> > Does any one know if this is a real risk? If so how severe of a

> > regression can it be. It does not make sense to me, I don't see how

> > molded bones could regress. I'm a little freaked out.

> >

> > Also, we only have one or two adjustments left and cranial tech

> says

> > that my son will not need another band. However I still think there

> > could be improvement made. He will only be nine months old when his

> > band comes off. Do you think my feelings are warranted or should I

> > just chill out?

> >

> >

> > Any advice is appreciated!

> >

> > Mom to 8 old Elijah

> >

>

Guest guest

Adjustments are every two weeks, so about one month left of the treatment. I started a photo album named Elijah the photos are candid and not necessarily progression photos. But I would really appreciate your input.Thanks, Re: Regression??Regression only happens in about 1% of cases, it is very rare though

does happen from time to time. I'm not sure what really causes it.

How often do you go for adjustments? How much longer would he be in

his band? It's possible that you'll see that last bit of correction

you're looking for in the last weeks of treatment, especially if he

hits another growth spurt. There's no reason to chill out until

you're happy with the shape of his head, but I would wait and see

what happens over the next couple of weeks. If you want, you could

post some progress photos for us to weigh in more specifically.

Jake-22m (tort resolved/rt plagio/DOCBand #2 6 weeks)

Jordan-4

>

> I have heard the word regression thrown around on other plagio

sites.

> Does any one know if this is a real risk? If so how severe of a

> regression can it be. It does not make sense to me, I don't see how

> molded bones could regress. I'm a little freaked out.

>

> Also, we only have one or two adjustments left and cranial tech

says

> that my son will not need another band. However I still think there

> could be improvement made. He will only be nine months old when his

> band comes off. Do you think my feelings are warranted or should I

> just chill out?

>

>

> Any advice is appreciated!

>

> Mom to 8 old Elijah