RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Dent?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I'd say it's the lamboidal on her back left side. She was x-rayed at 3 1/2 months to rule out premature fusing at that point. She goes in for surgery on Friday morning. I'll ask her surgeon how much of a concern it is then. I just don't have a good feeling about it coming back. It could be 100% normal, but I don't like it.

Elaine (Twin A) plagio & tort, 6mos, ~6 weeks helmet

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 10:44 AM, <nwilkens2275@...> wrote:

Try this link instead: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/MEDLINEPLUS/ency/images/ency/fullsize/1127.jpg

Jake-2 (DOCBand Grad 9/19/08)Jordan-4.5> >> > Elaine had a dent form between the time she was casted and the > time > > she received her helmet. It's hard to describe other than a dent.

> > Um.. it was in her flattened area, was elongated, presumably where > > plates meet.> > > > By the end of the second week in the helmet, even though it took > us > > that long to work up to 23 hours, it was gone. At Sunday's bath

> time > > she was fine. On Monday night, she wasn't. I noticed a slight > dent > > in pretty much the same spot. We called the ortho when they > opened > > yesterday and she went in for an adjustment first thing this

> morning.> > > > The ortho called it a 'suture line' and said they were quite > common > > and nothing to be concerned about. It will round out in time. > She > > made some minor adjustments and said that her progress is

> excellent, > > but she's almost outgrown her helmet. She'll confer with the > surgeon > > but is pretty sure she'll need a second helmet. > > > > Do any of you have experience with these 'suture lines'? Are

they > > normal and nothing to worry about like she says? I don't like the > > fact a dent showed up. Feels to me like we're regressing so I'm > just > > looking for some reassurance.

> > > > > > Elaine (Twin A) plagio & tort, 6mos, ~6 weeks helmet> >>

Hi there,

My son developed ridging in his skull, sutures were overlapping as a result of wearing an ill-fitting helmet. He wore the helmet for less than a week and it was too tight and caused his sutures to overlap. This was very terrible experience for me, the nuerosurgeon was thankful I didnt leave it on longer. The dents and ridges are still very visible, he hasnt worn the helmet since septmeber.

Thanks,

From: <nwilkens2275@...>Subject: Re: Dent?Plagiocephaly Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 9:43 AM

The suture lines are what fuse the plates of the skull together as a baby's head grows (if you look at an adult skull, it looks like it's been sewn together, like stitches or sutures). Premature fusing of the sutures is a condition called craniosynostosis, which looks similar to plagio but is more serious and typically requires surgery to correct. Was Elaine ever checked for that prior to banding? Not every baby is, and it doesn't mean that she has it just because she has a dent, but some doctors like to rule it out (my son had a CT scan early on to check for it). It is possible, I think, that the suture lines can become more or less prominent as the head is being remolded (hence the reason why it was there before, then it was gone, now it's back again). My son wasn't banded until he was 17 months old, so his sutures had already begun to fuse (but they don't fully fuse until our early 20s). He

developed a prominent metopic suture, which is the center one from the bridge of the nose up to his former soft spot. That has since softened since graduating. He also had his right lamboid suture fuse faster than his others (not prematurely, just faster), which appears almost like a dent (across the back right side of his head and flat spot). That hindered the rounding out of his flat spot some, although we saw great improvement in every other area. Again, he was older though, and our therapist at CT told me that it may or may not improve on its own as he gets older. It sounds like if it's across her flat spot, it's also her lamboid suture (kind of diagonal from the center back to bottom right or left). Here is a link to a photo of the newborn skull:http://www.google. com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.nlm. nih.gov/MEDLINEP LUS/ency/ images/ency/ fullsize/ 1127.jpg & imgrefurl=http://www.nlm. nih.gov/MEDLINEP LUS/ency/ imagepages/1127.htm & h=320 & w=400 & sz= 16 & tbnid= -Z0AldTYy-sJ:: & tbnh=99 & tbnw=124 & prev=/images% 3Fq%3Dskull%2Bsutures & hl= en & usg=__ GTvgAWvvzP-xuWKDcE2zHPfbZKE= & sa=X & oi= image_result & resnum=3 & ct=image & cd=1It's super long, but it should work. Let me know if it doesn't. Jake-2 (DOCBand Grad 9/19/08)Jordan-4.5>> Elaine had a dent form

between the time she was casted and the time > she received her helmet. It's hard to describe other than a dent. > Um.. it was in her flattened area, was elongated, presumably where > plates meet.> > By the end of the second week in the helmet, even though it took us > that long to work up to 23 hours, it was gone. At Sunday's bath time > she was fine. On Monday night, she wasn't. I noticed a slight dent > in pretty much the same spot. We called the ortho when they opened > yesterday and she went in for an adjustment first thing this morning.> > The ortho called it a 'suture line' and said they were quite common > and nothing to be concerned about. It will round out in time. She > made some minor adjustments and said that her progress is excellent, > but she's almost outgrown her helmet. She'll confer with the surgeon

> but is pretty sure she'll need a second helmet. > > Do any of you have experience with these 'suture lines'? Are they > normal and nothing to worry about like she says? I don't like the > fact a dent showed up. Feels to me like we're regressing so I'm just > looking for some reassurance. > > > Elaine (Twin A) plagio & tort, 6mos, ~6 weeks helmet>