RemedySpot.com

Fwd: [TMIC] Chemical Exposure and TM RP???}

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

One year prior to my TM (from the flu vaccine)_ I had been exposed to continually and had an allergic reaction to Tricloroethylne Ethylallime which caused me to have total body hives. I think that this may have "set me up" to react to the flu vaccine and get ADEM.

Tom

-----Original Message-----From: Sam Seven Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 6:22 PMTo: tmic-list@...Subject: [TMIC] Chemical Exposure and TM

Hi Folks, A while ago I asked this question and pursued a review of the archives of our group. It wasn't very fruitful but at least one person suspected 'RoundUp' herbicide and another suspected organic solvent exposure ( he was a professional painter and dealt with many organic solvent based paints ).

I've found a very large number of references in the open literature to potential relationships between chemical exposure and various neuropathic illnesses. Many are listed on the Washington University Department of Neurology web site:

http://www.neuro.wustl.edu/neuromuscular/spinal/arachnoid.htm

More pertinent to me is a reference I found to the medical journal 'Lancet' . Yusuke Sawada et al ( 1988 ) February 299

'Probable Toxicity of surface-active agent in commercial herbicide containing glyphosate'

From the abstract ; ....'and central nervous system symptoms...' I am going to get a copy of this article. glyphosate is the trade name for the active component in 'RoundUp' the formal chemical name is N-phosphono,methyl,glycine.

The term 'surface-active agent' is a more formal manner in which to describe a surfactant aka soap, detergent, etc...

I am a surface physical chemist and have been working on new surfactant adjuvants for glyphosate for nearly five years now, many of which are custom synthesized from designs my team and I have devised.

From my literature search, it has only now become apparent to me that the combination of glyphosate and the surfactant adjuvants not only increase the acute toxicity to humans ( glyphosate alone has an acute toxicity less than aspirin , yes its safer to ingest than aspirin , but in the presence of the adjuvants the toxicity increases very substaintially according to at least one study.

As far as I know, no direct investigations with respect to TM or other neurological diseases have been performed....

Does anyone have anything to add to this? I'm trying to gather information on this as I'm very concerned that some of my own work could harm others, not to mention myself!

Norman R. Pallas Ph.D. aka Sam

[TMIC] FYI - Diabetes Drugs May Cut Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms

Diabetes Drugs May Cut Multiple Sclerosis SymptomsMon Jun 17, 5:30 PM ETBy Suzanne RostlerNEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Drugs used to treat some patients with diabetesmay also slow the progression of multiple sclerosis (MS), preliminaryresearch findings suggest.In the study, two types of thiazolidinediones (TZDs) prevented thedevelopment of an MS-like disease, experimental autoimmuneencephalomyelitis, in healthy mice and reduced symptoms in mice that werealready sick. The drugs appeared to be effective in treating both a chronicform of the disease and a relapsing form that more closely resembles MS inhumans.While it is too soon to begin prescribing TZDs to patients with MS, thefindings provide a glimmer of hope to patients, the study authors note."The minimum we're hoping for is that they will be as good as any of theexisting drugs," study author Dr. Feinstein from the University ofIllinois in Chicago said in a prepared statement. "But there's a possibilitythey could prove to be better because this is a different class of drugswith different targets and effects."TZDs help cells throughout the body to use insulin, the body's key bloodsugar-regulating hormone. The drugs work by binding with receptors, known asPPAR gamma, which are present mainly in fat cells.But according to the report in the June issue of the ls of Neurology,the drugs also prevent the growth of lymphocytes or immune cells, and reducethe production of inflammatory compounds in the brain.MS, an autoimmune disorder, results from an over-production of inflammatoryproteins. These proteins slowly eat away at the protective insulation aroundthe nerve fibers, leading to numbness, muscle weakness and stiffness,impaired vision and coordination problems. As the disease progresses,paralysis may set in.Studies are currently under way to test whether the drugs might helppatients with other neurologic disorders such as Alzheimer's disease (news - web sites), Parkinson's disease ( news - web sites) and stroke.Previous research has shown that they may be useful in treatingatherosclerosis (clogged arteries), inflammation of the colon, andpsoriasis--an incurable disease that causes the skin to develop thick, scalypatches.In an interview with Reuters Health, Feinstein noted that the drugs couldcause some patients to gain weight and can contribute to hypertension, orhigh blood pressure. For this reason they should not be prescribed topatients with heart disease, he said.SOURCE: ls of Neurology 2002;51:694-702.

Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com