RemedySpot.com

Squeek

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

In a message dated 07/06/2002 2:09:15 AM Central Daylight Time, Rpolychondritis writes:

in your opinion was it worth

it to go see Dr. Buckner? Did she change anything, or

do anything differently from your local doctors?

Hi, Sharon,

Yes, in my opinion, it was worth it to go see Dr. Buckner. Mainly, because my Rheumy is Greek (nothing against Greeks) and she doesn't talk very much or give me any information. And sometimes I KNOW I'm having a flare, but she says if your ears aren't red, you aren't flaring!! Not so, according to Dr. Buckner. So, for me, Dr. Buckner was able to give me a lot of insight about RP, what it can do to the body, how it can make you feel, and what can be done about it. As I said in my earlier post, I never know WHAT is making me hurt so badly because I have so many things wrong with me. (NOT what I imagined retirement to be like. LOL) So it was nice to hear that in her research she is working on testing that will differentiate the CAUSE of the problem.

Since I won't be going to her all the time due to the distance issue, she didn't want to change my medication regimen; however, she did indicate that she thought Methotrexate might be something my local Rheumy should consider. In the written report that she sent me, she also mentioned some other medications that might be tried. She gave me a very thorough examination and was also thorough with the lab work. She also wanted me to have a sleep study while in Seattle (which I did) because she was afraid there might be some trachea problems when I slept. I found that I do have sleep apnea, but there's so much other stuff going on in my life right now that I'm not going to deal with the apnea.

Sharon, I just couldn't get over how well the doctors worked with each other. I certainly don't see that with my doctors here, unfortunately. The docs at Virginia Mason truely seemed to care about the welfare of their patients.

If you've never been there, and you're planning to go, I'll give you one piece of advice.....wear your walking shoes. The area is all very steep hills and I don't think I've ever walked so much in one day.

Take care.

Love,

T.