RemedySpot.com

(No subject)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I'm Just a Mother? --- Excuse Me!>> A few months ago, when I was picking up the children> at school,> another mother I knew well rushed up to me. > was fuming with> indignation. "Do you know what you and I are?" she> demanded.>> Before I could answer and I didn't really have one> handy... she> blurted out the reason for her question. It seemed> she had just returned> from renewing her driver's license at the County> Clerk's office. Asked> by the woman recorder to state her occupation, > had hesitated,> uncertain how to classify herself.>> "What I mean is," explained the recorder, "do you> have a job, or are you> just a... ?">> "Of course I have a job," snapped . "I'm a> mother.">> "We don't list 'mother' as an occupation...> 'housewife' covers it," said> the recorder emphatically.>> I forgot all about her story until one day I found> myself in the same> situation, this time at our own Town Hall. The> Clerk was obviously a> career woman, poised, efficient, and possessed of a> high-sounding title> like "Official Interrogator" or "Town Registrar.">> "What is your occupation?" she probed.>> What made me say it, I do not know. The words> simply popped out.> "I am a Research Associate in the field of Child> Development and Human> Relations.">> The clerk paused, ball-point pen frozen in midair,> and looked up as> though she had not heard right. I repeated the> title slowly, emphasizing the most significant words.> Then I stared with wonder as my pronouncement was> written in bold, black ink on the official> questionnaire.>> "Might I ask," said the clerk with new interest,> "just what you do in> your field?">> Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice, I> heard myself reply,> "I have a continuing program of research (what> mother doesn't) in the> laboratory and in the field (normally I would have> said indoors and> out). I'm working for my Masters (the whole darned> family) and already> have four credits (all daughters!). Of course, the> job is one of the most> demanding in the humanities (any mother care to> disagree?) and I> often work 14 hours a day (24 is more like it). But> the job is more> challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and> the rewards are> more of a satisfaction rather than just money.">> There was an increasing note of respect in the> clerk's voice as she> completed the form, stood up, and personally ushered> me to the door.> As I drove into our driveway, buoyed up by my> glamorous new career, I> was greeted by my lab assistants - ages 13, 7, and> 3. Upstairs I could> hear our new experimental model (6 months) in the> child-development program,> testing out a new vocal pattern. I felt triumphant!> I had scored a beat> on bureaucracy! And I had gone on the official> records as someone more> distinguished and indispensable to mankind than> 'just another mother.'>> Motherhood... what a glorious career. Especially> when there's a title> on the door.>> Send this to another Mother you know. Whether a> stay at home Mom or a> career Mom, we should all carry this title.>> Does this make grandmothers, "Senior Research> Associates in the> field of Child Development and Human Relations" and> great grandmothers,> "Executive Senior Research Associates"?>