RemedySpot.com

Check out eMedicine - Polychondritis : Article by Karin I Harp, MD

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dagny, Here is a site that has a lot of info. I copied the lung part but you might want to check out the whole site. Also, Dr. Trentham's article and Dr. Buckners site. Hope this helps. There informatlon is on our web site at www.polychondritis.org. Dr. B's is under " Research" and Dr. T's in under "Information" (I think).

hugs

Click here: eMedicine - Polychondritis : Article by Karin I Harp, MD

Respiratory tract chondritis

Respiratory tract involvement affects 40-56% of patients and may involve any portion of the respiratory tree including the distal bronchi. Tenderness to palpation may be present over the anterior trachea or thyroid cartilage.

Chondritis weakens the tracheal cartilage rings, leading to wheezing, dyspnea, cough, and hoarseness. The airways eventually become stenosed and are replaced by collapsible fibrotic tissue.

The airways superior to the thoracic inlet collapse on inspiration and those below collapse on expiration; therefore, both inspiratory and expiratory wheezing may be noted on auscultation. Patients presenting with inflammation and swelling of the glottis, larynx, and subglottic tissues may require tracheostomy.