RemedySpot.com

Re: / finding a new rheumy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

, thank you for the great advise. I know it will help me and alot of others.

hugs

Dawn,

When I was looking for a new rheumy I did first check my list from the insurance company and then I called them one by one. I explained the disease and asked them to write it down as I spelled it for them, (yes, this is the receptionist I talked to), I told them it was rare and I needed a doctor with experience and I would appreciate it if they would ask the doctor and call me back. Every doctor's office I called, called me back with a yes or no answer. If you sound like you know what you are talking about, I really think these people listen to you better.

I finally got a referral from a good friend here in Roanoke that had a great Rheumy that knows all about RP and she is great. She actually listens, she's not afraid of our support group and the info I can tell her from everyone's experience with certain drugs, so she is a keeper.

The main thing I can tell you is yes, find out what doctor's are on your insurance "list" and then call each and everyone of them and tell the receptionist what you have, spell it for her, explain it is rare and need/want to know if this doctor has seen other patients with this disease and if he/she is willing to take on your case. If you live in a very small town without the benefit of many choices as far as Rheumy's go, ask if they would be willing to learn about RP. Explain that you have good info on this disease and need help and hopefully you will find one willing to learn and help you. Younger ones usually do better with this than older ones. That is just my opinion from what I"ve experienced in the past.

Just remember, when you call, be informed about RP. That seemed to work best for me as far as getting responses back. I was told numerous times that the doctor knew nothing about this disease and suggested I find one who did, but I was grateful for his/her honesty.

Be sure that you inform the receptionist that you need extra time on your first visit to talk to the doctor too. This will help in keeping him/her from rushing you and you can have the time you need to explain your symptoms and and also give him/her a chance to look at any info you have brought with you.

Geez, can I ramble on or what. LOL Just get me started talking about Rheumy's and RP and I can go on and on. LOL

Sorry, hope some of this helps girl. Good Luck!!!!

w

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

SUSAN