RemedySpot.com

Fw: I researched this, please read.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Subject: I researched this, please read.

Hi from Michele:I usually don't forward these, because many of them are "urban legends" and aren't true. I did some research and this one appears to be a legitimate scam. Your virus scan software won't normally read it as a virus. I do send and receive electronic greeting cards, but have never had to agree to anything to read one. It is really sick what some companies will do to market themselves. Basically, don't go to these sites to pick up or send any cards per my research:www.friendgreetings.comwww.friendgreetings.netwww.cool-downloads.netwww.cool-downloads.comwww.friend-greetings.comwww.friend-greetings.netwww.friend-cards.netwww.friend-greeting.comwww.friend-greeting.netwww.friend-card.comwww.friend-card.netwww.friend-cards.com********************************************************************************************-----Original Message-----From: Grayson, F ACQ Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 1:36 PMSubject: security issue - electronic greeting cardsThis information was on the Redstone Arsenal home page today from our security office so I guess it's true.FYI, Just In Time For The Holidays: Those cute little electronic greeting cards you occasionally get from friends may be a real problem.The ones I'm speaking of are those where there's a link that says: "[some Name] has sent you a greeting card. Go here to get your greeting card".Read below.BEWARE!!

There's a new card company called "FriendGreetings.com". When you get a card notification from them and click on the link, it will take you to their site. You will be notified that you have to install an ActiveX control in order to view the card. When you begin to install, the first thing that pops up is what is known as a "EULA" (End User License Agreement). It is very long, and you will not read it. They're counting on that. When you scroll to the bottom of it and click "Accept," you have agreed to the terms of the EULA.Part of what you will have agreed to is to have monitoring/spyware software installed on your computer which will periodically report a vast array of data back to the card company. The other part that you've agreed to is to have the software send mail to EVERY SINGLE ADDRESS IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK.In short, you've voluntarily agreed to install a virus-type product on your machine. This is NOT a good thing. Since there is no virus in the email, and since you're VOLUNTARILY agreeing to install the ActiveX component, VIRUS CHECKERS WILL NOT CATCH THIS.Just a reminder: DO NOT OPEN EMAIL ATTACHMENTS when you are not expecting them, and DO NOT RUN ANYTHING FROM THE INTERNET WHICH REQUIRES A EULA AGREEMENT.