RemedySpot.com

Re: can babies be yoo young for the helmet?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

If she gets her helmet at 3 months, she will be the youngest baby I know on this board who has. Then again, I've only been a member for a few months...

Has your pedi referred you to a physical therapist? Has he/she shown you how to do stretching exercises at home? Remember that what is causing the plagio is the torticollis and that although the band will help reshape her head, if the tort is not address, plagio will come right back.

In the meantime, I would agressively reposition her and either get a referral to a PT or do stretching exercises at home.

I am sure other will chime in on this one.

Good luck with it all.

Leila

Maysa, 11 m, 6 weeks in DOC band + CST

http://mymaysa.wordpress.com/ --- On Wed, 12/17/08, feder566 <feder566@...> wrote:

From: feder566 <feder566@...>Subject: can babies be yoo young for the helmet?Plagiocephaly Date: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 2:48 PM

I really don't know much about this yet, and am freaking out a little to be honest. I noticed only a few weeks after Delaney was born that her head seemed flatter than normal, but I didn't think anything was medically wrong. By about 6 weeks old, I realized that she always tilts her head to one side. She is now 9 weeks, and her pedi just referred me to Cranial Tech. Now that I know what to look for, it's obvious that she has both Plagiocephaly and torticollis. She has a really hard time turning her head to the less-preferred side, and her ears are already starting to misalign. Cranial Tech can't see us for a couple of more weeks, but I haven't been told what I can do in the meantime (positioning? ?) and I am afraid it will get worse. Can 3 month old babies get helmets (I assume that is how old she will be after consult, molding, etc)? Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect

when she gets a helmet? Like will it take some time and frustration for her to get used to it? Are they worn 24/7?

Welcome to the group! You asked some very good questions. Did your pediatrician

also refer you to a physical therapist for the tort? My daughter got her helmet

at 6 months, but the earliest I have heard of on this board is about 4 months. I

think this is because they want to give it a chance to round out on its own, and

some people have had some success repositioning- which is basically just keeping

your little one off of the spot that is flat- using a head positioner, receiving

blanket, some have used the noggin nest. However, with tort also (my daughter

didn't have that so others will be more well versed) it may be harder unless the

tort is also getting resolved because this will make you little one not be able

to help pulling to one side- it isn't just a preference. It is hard when they

are so little because they are unable to sit up and not lean on their head. My

daughter did wonderfully with the helmet and had pretty severe plagio,we got

great

results. You could always go for a consult with CT and explain that you

haven't one to PT for the tort yet and they may suggest to wait a few weeks.

It is great you caught it early though, most babies that start banding early

wear the helmet a shorter time period - 8 - 10 weeks depending on the severity

of the plagio. Good Luck and people on this board are very supportive and

knowlegeable so keep writing!!

Mom to McKenna- 8 months old- 9.5 weeks in band

> From: feder566 <feder566@...>

> Subject: can babies be yoo young for the helmet?

> Plagiocephaly

> Date: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 7:48 PM

> I really don't know much about this yet, and am freaking

> out a little

> to be honest. I noticed only a few weeks after Delaney was

> born that

> her head seemed flatter than normal, but I didn't think

> anything was

> medically wrong. By about 6 weeks old, I realized that she

> always

> tilts her head to one side. She is now 9 weeks, and her

> pedi just

> referred me to Cranial Tech.

>

> Now that I know what to look for, it's obvious that she

> has both

> Plagiocephaly and torticollis. She has a really hard time

> turning her

> head to the less-preferred side, and her ears are already

> starting to

> misalign. Cranial Tech can't see us for a couple of

> more weeks, but I

> haven't been told what I can do in the meantime

> (positioning??) and I

> am afraid it will get worse.

>

> Can 3 month old babies get helmets (I assume that is how

> old she will

> be after consult, molding, etc)?

>

> Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect when she gets

> a helmet?

> Like will it take some time and frustration for her to get

> used to it?

> Are they worn 24/7?

i believe they dont band till 4 mo but they will monitor and give info on repositioning

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 2:48 PM, feder566 <feder566@...> wrote:

I really don't know much about this yet, and am freaking out a little to be honest. I noticed only a few weeks after Delaney was born that her head seemed flatter than normal, but I didn't think anything was

medically wrong. By about 6 weeks old, I realized that she always tilts her head to one side. She is now 9 weeks, and her pedi just referred me to Cranial Tech. Now that I know what to look for, it's obvious that she has both

Plagiocephaly and torticollis. She has a really hard time turning her head to the less-preferred side, and her ears are already starting to misalign. Cranial Tech can't see us for a couple of more weeks, but I

haven't been told what I can do in the meantime (positioning??) and I am afraid it will get worse. Can 3 month old babies get helmets (I assume that is how old she will be after consult, molding, etc)?

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect when she gets a helmet? Like will it take some time and frustration for her to get used to it? Are they worn 24/7? -- -household executive, maid, chef (ok thats a stretch), taxi driver, domestic engineer or, best of all, just " mommy "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1088463/Why-time-forget-pushchair-sling-baby-sleep.htmlhttp://midscbwers.blogspot.com/

oh abd probably recommend something for trhe torticollis

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Durocher <funwith4@...> wrote:

i believe they dont band till 4 mo but they will monitor and give info on repositioning

I really don't know much about this yet, and am freaking out a little to be honest. I noticed only a few weeks after Delaney was born that her head seemed flatter than normal, but I didn't think anything was

medically wrong. By about 6 weeks old, I realized that she always tilts her head to one side. She is now 9 weeks, and her pedi just referred me to Cranial Tech. Now that I know what to look for, it's obvious that she has both

Plagiocephaly and torticollis. She has a really hard time turning her head to the less-preferred side, and her ears are already starting to misalign. Cranial Tech can't see us for a couple of more weeks, but I

haven't been told what I can do in the meantime (positioning??) and I am afraid it will get worse. Can 3 month old babies get helmets (I assume that is how old she will be after consult, molding, etc)?

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect when she gets a helmet? Like will it take some time and frustration for her to get used to it? Are they worn 24/7? --

-household executive, maid, chef (ok thats a stretch), taxi driver, domestic engineer or, best of all, just " mommy " http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1088463/Why-time-forget-pushchair-sling-baby-sleep.html

http://midscbwers.blogspot.com/-- -household executive, maid, chef (ok thats a stretch), taxi driver, domestic engineer or, best of all, just " mommy "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1088463/Why-time-forget-pushchair-sling-baby-sleep.htmlhttp://midscbwers.blogspot.com/

hey are worn 23/7 and pretty easy to get used to typically

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Durocher <funwith4@...> wrote:

oh abd probably recommend something for trhe torticollis

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Durocher <funwith4@...> wrote:

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect when she gets a helmet? Like will it take some time and frustration for her to get used to it? Are they worn 24/7? --

-household executive, maid, chef (ok thats a stretch), taxi driver, domestic engineer or, best of all, just " mommy " http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1088463/Why-time-forget-pushchair-sling-baby-sleep.html

http://midscbwers.blogspot.com/-- -household executive, maid, chef (ok thats a stretch), taxi driver, domestic engineer or, best of all, just " mommy "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1088463/Why-time-forget-pushchair-sling-baby-sleep.html

Hello. My little one just got his helmet from CT on December 1st. Which was 3 days after his 3 month birthday. He did adjust easy, just a few skin problems. Although, they are fixed now. Also, our insurance didn't have an age restriction. However, it seemed that most do. Good luck. Ronda

In a message dated 12/17/2008 9:51:37 P.M. Central Standard Time, lina.gabriev@... writes:

I agree with others about the tort. First thing is to get her into PT and see what they can do about her tort. They generally won't band until 4 months. Now they can band at 3 months, but will wait until four. This gives time for repositioning and PT efforts to work. Insurance generally won't help pay for a band until after such efforts have been made, and failed (or just didn't work well enough).

Here's the good news. Your doctors are wonderful in identifying it this early and referring you to others to get help so soon. So many people have the opposite issue and have to fight to get help for their child.

As for the band, you work up to wearing it 23 hours a day (or as close to it as possible) and treatment takes roughly 2 months on the low end. Since you will be starting young you'll probably be on the shorter end of treatment lengths. Most kids take to them with out issue.

As for what to expect when you go in. They will either cast or take pictures for a digital image of your child's head. From there they make the helmet/band. For us the time frame is ~2 weeks from mold to first helmet fitting, but I didn't go through CT. I can't imagine it taking longer than that though.

Welcome to the group ^_^

Elaine (Twin A) tort & plagio, 6 1/2 mos, ~8 weeks in a helmet

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 2:48 PM, feder566 <feder566> wrote:

I really don't know much about this yet, and am freaking out a little to be honest. I noticed only a few weeks after Delaney was born that her head seemed flatter than normal, but I didn't think anything was medically wrong. By about 6 weeks old, I realized that she always tilts her head to one side. She is now 9 weeks, and her pedi just referred me to Cranial Tech. Now that I know what to look for, it's obvious that she has both Plagiocephaly and torticollis. She has a really hard time turning her head to the less-preferred side, and her ears are already starting to misalign. Cranial Tech can't see us for a couple of more weeks, but I haven't been told what I can do in the meantime (positioning??) and I am afraid it will get worse. Can 3 month old babies get helmets (I assume that is how old she will be after consult, molding, etc)? Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect when she gets a helmet? Like will it take some time and frustration for her to get used to it? Are they worn 24/7?

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Mail. Try it now.

I agree with others about the tort. First thing is to get her into PT and see what they can do about her tort. They generally won't band until 4 months. Now they can band at 3 months, but will wait until four. This gives time for repositioning and PT efforts to work. Insurance generally won't help pay for a band until after such efforts have been made, and failed (or just didn't work well enough).

Here's the good news. Your doctors are wonderful in identifying it this early and referring you to others to get help so soon. So many people have the opposite issue and have to fight to get help for their child.

As for the band, you work up to wearing it 23 hours a day (or as close to it as possible) and treatment takes roughly 2 months on the low end. Since you will be starting young you'll probably be on the shorter end of treatment lengths. Most kids take to them with out issue.

As for what to expect when you go in. They will either cast or take pictures for a digital image of your child's head. From there they make the helmet/band. For us the time frame is ~2 weeks from mold to first helmet fitting, but I didn't go through CT. I can't imagine it taking longer than that though.

Welcome to the group ^_^Elaine (Twin A) tort & plagio, 6 1/2 mos, ~8 weeks in a helmetOn Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 2:48 PM, feder566 <feder566@...> wrote:

I really don't know much about this yet, and am freaking out a little

to be honest. I noticed only a few weeks after Delaney was born that

her head seemed flatter than normal, but I didn't think anything was

medically wrong. By about 6 weeks old, I realized that she always

tilts her head to one side. She is now 9 weeks, and her pedi just

referred me to Cranial Tech.

Now that I know what to look for, it's obvious that she has both

Plagiocephaly and torticollis. She has a really hard time turning her

head to the less-preferred side, and her ears are already starting to

misalign. Cranial Tech can't see us for a couple of more weeks, but I

haven't been told what I can do in the meantime (positioning??) and I

am afraid it will get worse.

Can 3 month old babies get helmets (I assume that is how old she will

be after consult, molding, etc)?

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect when she gets a helmet?

Like will it take some time and frustration for her to get used to it?

Are they worn 24/7?